Counter-Strike

Epyon202Epyon202 New York
edited August 2003 in Gaming
who here plays cs still?.. i do, and i know m33pins does.

Comments

• PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    I play from time to time, used to play loads, but dont as much anymore. There is so much suspicion of cheating around now, and it really frustrates me. I tend to get booted from servers just for having a good score, I dont cheat, dont see the point. Might be up for a game, time zones permitting. (Im in the UK)
  • Epyon202Epyon202 New York
    edited July 2003
    ok, the main reason why i asked is becuase if a lot of ppl from icrontic played cs still we can make a icrontic clan for cs.
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    Hmm, I used to run a pretty sucessful Clan, not sure If I can be bothered with the haslte of getting back into it. Plus, I have a life now, and I didnt when I played too much CS !!

/me is scared of his girlfriend...
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I don't understand the CS obsession. I've tried to get into it several times, but each time i've come away with a feeling of wtf?
  • Epyon202Epyon202 New York
    edited July 2003
    ok then nm about the clan
  • Captain-Bort-BortsonCaptain-Bort-Bortson New Orleans, LA Member
    edited July 2003
    I play it occassionally, I used to play it extensively back in the old days. It now just boiled down to the same old same old.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited July 2003
    Well, i've been playing CS for the better part of 3 years now. I've just recently cut back to... not playing. I've found something i'm having more fun with at the moment. It's a server-side TFC modification called NeoTF ( http://neo-tf.com ) I'd recommend everyone who likes the HL engine give it a try. Hell, I couldn't stand TFC, but Neo-TF is a blast! It's basically TFC on steroids, more cool stuff you can do, more graphical effects, more weapons, etc.
    edited July 2003
    TFC was extremely fun. I think id still be playing if Pigflipper never told me about this new fangled mod called CS 2.0. TFC got old when they added the new skins and came out with all those lame siege the base that nobody wants to siege and serves for those little emp grenade engineer whores to get cheap kills and boost their self-esteem. But if whoever started this thread, too lazy to scroll up, wants to start a clan, id join once i get back to college and extreme bandwidth.
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Captain Bort Bortson
    TFC was extremely fun. I think id still be playing if Pigflipper never told me about this new fangled mod called CS 2.0. TFC got old when they added the new skins and came out with all those lame siege the base that nobody wants to siege and serves for those little emp grenade engineer whores to get cheap kills and boost their self-esteem. But if whoever started this thread, too lazy to scroll up, wants to start a clan, id join once i get back to college and extreme bandwidth.

TFC got old the 2nd day :o

CS2 will be on Valve's source engine :p

I think someone is a tad bitter!

Btw- you really should try it before you knock it because Neo-TF encourages teamplay much, much, more than does the regular TFC. In Neo-TF, if you want to use any decent weapons you need your teamates to help you out to build and upgrade weapon systems. In some cases 2-3 people need to cooperate to use the weapon system, mortars, multiguns and SAM's for example.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2003
    im not so big on CS, but im completely addicted to Day of Defeat
    edited July 2003
    I tried to play NEO TFC but for some reason it didnt work. Havent played TFC in a long time anyway, dont really play much online anymore, and not any since i returned home from college.
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by kanezfan
    I don't understand the CS obsession. I've tried to get into it several times, but each time i've come away with a feeling of wtf?

Did you start trying it during the betas? The community has really went to shit ever since 1.0 (retail). Think of it like this... during the early beta days 1999 - Aug. 2000 the CS community was as friendly and honest as the Icrontic community. Lots of teamwork, very very small amount of cheaters, mature players (would be very rare to see anyone under 17 playing... or at least they didn't act it if they were).

The community is really what hooked me to the game. I loved the updates, only useful things were added. Now everything that is added has to go through VALVe (big company) and be approved, so the only new features the game ends up getting are really gimmicky ones.

Unless you're a very good player, I can understand why playing in public servers isn't fun. If you belong to a clan though, playing competitively where everything is very organized and you can't survive without teamwork is still fun.

The only thing really keeping me playing it for the past year and a half is that I became part of a small community that admins a CS server. Basically, i'm the guy who does all the technical work installing and updating software, anti-cheat work, coding plugins, etc. This also means though the server environment can easily be moderated, no one is going to ruin my game acting like a dick because they'd be banned the first few seconds they tried. I shudder to think about playing CS outside of that server. If you don't believe me, here's proof: *shudders* :p

IMO, the future now lies in the HL2 mods created by small independent teams, though that's probably pretty obvious to a lot of people.
  • edited July 2003
    The fact that so many people still play cs boggles my mind. There are so many other good team oriented games now: Tactical Ops, Medal of Honor, Enemy Territory, etc...
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2003
    well yes, but they aren't much better if at all than CS, which is free with HL that i purchased oh so long ago. plus, how can you desert a game thats given you so much :-/
  • edited July 2003
    "CS, which is free with HL"

Enemy Territory is standalone and %100 free. Why just shoot when you can plant landmines, call down airstrikes, or be covert ops and take the opposing teams uniform?

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with still playing counter-strike. I'm just surprised so many people still play it.
  • edited July 2003
    yea i still play cs daily, sadly i hate the game. been playing for 2 years strong and one reason why i hate it is becasue im literally addicted to it. im highly skilled (main) and know the game like the back of my hand.

i cant play any other games though, which is why i hate cs more.yet, at the same time i think its quite a fun game, with the exception of the BS hackers....
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Sleepstalker
    The fact that so many people still play cs boggles my mind. There are so many other good team oriented games now: Tactical Ops, Medal of Honor, Enemy Territory, etc...

But none match the "fun" gameplay CS has, the perfect mix of realism and arcade gameplay i guess.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2003
    i mean, every one has their own opinion of fun. and you cant really use the number of people as proof of fun, because like poor em-3, he wants to quit, he has tried, but he just cant. so many people have become addicted to where they wont even give a game a chance ("i installed mohaa, i played for 5 minutes, it sure wasnt counterstrike, it sucked") cuz there is no way you can judge a game after 5, 10, 15 minutes. the other thing is i dont understand why they dont have a mass exodus to another engine. tac ops on the ut engine was really fun. i just feel like too many cs folks dont give other games and alternatives a chance. just watch for any offers of kool-aid . . .
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Played CS, hated it tbh, only HL mod I ever play is TFC.

Dont have wolfenstien, but ET is good, and well worth the download.

But now - Grenades

NS
  • edited July 2003
    i for one own mohaa :D and love it.

but cs, is just this weird gameplay that you cant really get anywhere else. its fast, yet slow, and very very very strategical (if you play like i do). its th only game ive ever held onto, and ive been gaming since 3 yrs old.

i give many other games a chance, hell i own a lot of games, most of them are installed, i just never get to finishing them. ive alwasy wanted to finish splinter cell, and wanted to start on raven shield.

i had fun with ut2k3, but i messed up the way i played cs for awhile. cs is almost like a sport to me, its like practicing hard for baseball, and then trying to balance golf football and basketball on the side. you cant do them all, even though theyre all really fun.

i just love FPS, and hate hackers, and 1.6 could be the final decision for me, wheter i like cs or not. we'll see.

m-three
  • JonseyJonsey Microsoft Corporation
    edited July 2003
    I used to lead ApusHardware's CS clan, during the transition days to being Icrontic.com Mortin and Ce|cho had the servers co-lo'd on Playnet's pipeline back then, and the CS server was a natural soloution.

We had a blast. Made it into STA-CSX Gold (Highly Regarded Invite League back then) and promptly had Playnet go Chapter XI on us. It was a blast, but after having found FireArmsMod for HL (http://www.firearmsmod.com) I just can't go back. I tried last night, at one of my regular hang-outs of lore... It just isn't the same, there's no strategy to CS.

I've caught flak for saying that, but CS is about a group of ~12 people who spawn with one objective, and promptly fall to pieces.

[KBK] -- Kill or Be Killed. Pigflipper can tell you about all the crap I used to make, especially for him. [Fx] is still around last I recalled.

Anyway, make it No BS-CS. There's no room in CS for asshole, homophobes, racists, or idiots. Ban those who make it less fun, and I dare someone to come close the 6 original Icrontic Admins on [KBK] 1500 bans in 5 months. (We did nearly have an admin on at all times, and OGC had *just* been popularized)

Anyway, I'm rambling, try FA, enjoy it, love it, find how empty CS is without your m60, marksmanship 1, an m3, and the ability to go prone. Then see if you can still stand for CS. :D

- [KBK]Jonsey, former leader of Icrontic.com's CS Server
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Another reason I prefer games like Flashpoint over CS.

Tactics, you get less lame idiots playing where there are no respawn points, die and you may as well leave as the others are going to go on and complete this 3 hour mission.

I'm just bored of playing games where people are just charging and shoting, dying, respawning, running, dying, respawing.... etc etc, try a few tactics for once.

NS
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Yes, Jonsey, Fx is still going strong with a DoD team in cal-i.

I still play CS, but not in any gaming leagues and I only play on two servers. I am now playing DoD more than CS, but thats because I am on one of the Fx DoD squads. But having played CS for over four years now, I have seen many changes in the game over the years for better or for worse, but the spirit of the game has stayed the same.
    edited August 2003
    Ah I remember the days before KBK, we were the clan Red Cell, me (as Dominican Lou), Pigflipper, Celcho, Mortin, Helios and Mortins friend, that changed when Jeepathon 2k came out and I got a 56k modem. Heh I remember the KBK server, I was an admin but I never figured out how to ban but it was fun so the other folks were doing well. Anyway Id play CS when i get back to college if i could find a good server with a normal map rotation, and good admins/no cheaters/regulars ect. But that probably wont ever happen. I wonder if [UU]Valhalla is still up.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Ahhh old clan [RC] playing on celcho's DSL was the most amazing thing we had ever experienced up to that point. I miss those days of CS, back when there were maybe 5000 people total who played CS, now its like 80-110k people playing at any given time.