Hack for fun - nice site

edited August 2003 in The Pub
Just thought id post this up here, its a sort of simple "hack" challenge. See how far you can get, im trying to break level 10 but just dont know what to do - any hints appreciated!

http://scifi.pages.at/hackits/

Comments

• edited July 2003
    i have no idea how 2 hack............... anyone want to pm me a hint
  • edited July 2003
    I had trouble with 10 but I got it. I'm now on level 11 which is killin me. One of the answers seems impossible to get when you check out the code and the correct answer.
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited July 2003
    Level 14 and I hit a brick wall. The code was starting to give me headaches so I bookmarked it and retired for the day.

Thanks for the great link Phoboss. :)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida
    edited July 2003
    *Sigh* Three got me... I checked the code, but couldn't find the answer. Well, I found what I thought was the answer but it obviously didn't work. Haha...
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH
    edited July 2003
    I'm stuck on 8, didn't have any real trouble until there.
  • edited July 2003
    Ok, hint for people starting out, just go and view the source.

For anyone past level 10 - please give me a hint - Im at the bit where it says about "there is always a power between n and 2n" - WTF!???!?!??!?!?!?!?
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited July 2003
    Hmm...stuck on 3 as well
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK
    edited July 2003
    On level 10, only took a min or two to get there, just thought I would post on here before I accedently closed the window (too many windows open).

NS
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited July 2003
    hehe im uber newb.... i got level on noooo problem, but then the whole , its not that easy bologna came up.. soo, i opened up the code in note pad, and i dont see password=easy ... hehe, i give up :) how do i get pst level 2? hehehe
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY
    edited July 2003
    I'm too 1337 to even try... :p
  • edited July 2003
    Level 8 is pissing me off! HELP!
  • ALiEN509ALiEN509 Ohio
    edited July 2003
    I can't figured out the last code for level 11. I think it's because I have no clue what substrings do or are.

BTW, level 8 probably involes one mouse click or one button pressed on the keyboard. IE. That's your hint.
  • edited July 2003
    I got passed level 4 no prob.. but I cant go any more... :)

but I think thats pretty good for me, I dont really know any of that stuff, I know html pretty good, but thats about it...
  • edited July 2003
    OK all you peeps having trouble with 3 - the code your looking at is: window.location.href=String.fromCharCode(65,66,67)+".htm";
    Those numbers are character codes which build the URL to goto. :D
    edited July 2003
    Site seems to have gone down......

NS
  • edited July 2003
    appears to have been hacked.. lol
  • edited July 2003
    Oh the irony! LOL
    edited July 2003
    I was actually thinking, what I should do is hack into the site, download EVERYTHING, burn it onto a CD and mail it to him with just "Beat this" written on the disc :p

NS
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited July 2003
    I must be the lamest person ever, can't even get past level 2 :(

i'm open to suggestions
    edited July 2003
    I gave up at level 10 because I just seem to be missing something. That and I am no good at riddles.

NS
  • edited July 2003
    I know how u feel NS - What the hell was that riddle thing about inside the java file?! - and I dont even see where the code comes from to pop up the password window - oh well.

As its down now, heres a similar one but much harder:

http://www.try2hack.nl/
  • edited July 2003
    I'm working on level 13 now which is a major pain in the @ss. The password box is part of a java applett and I don't know sh*t about java.
    edited July 2003
    Yeah, thats another thing, its pretty much completely Java, which I know nothing about, and I suppose it would make it very easy if you knew lots of Java.

NS
  • edited July 2003
    Well, I'm on level 16, I have the answer and it seems as though the page is missing. :(

\\ Edit: And I finished. All 16 are done.

Hint for level 16: The question is in english, you only have to translate the answer. Also, don't use babel-fish, it gives you an incorrect spelling of the word. :rolleyes:
  • paroxymparoxym Toronto, Canada
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by nekromancerus
    I'm working on level 13 now which is a major pain in the @ss. The password box is part of a java applett and I don't know sh*t about java.

Use a decompiler (jascii, javap) to make some sense of the downloaded .class file in your 'temp Internet Directory'. ;)
  • edited July 2003
    Thats some good work there nekromancerus, nice going!..... now, if I could only get past 10 :(
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI
    edited August 2003
    i need little more hit on level 3
  • edited August 2003
    Originally posted by leishi85
    i need little more hit on level 3

View the source of the page that has the "Enter" link on it.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI
    edited August 2003
    i did, but i'm not into hacking, couldn't find any clue on the pass yet
  • edited August 2003
    WARNING: Giving away answer to number 3.
    Eingabe=prompt ("Please enter password");
    if (Eingabe==d1)
    {

Ok, here we can see that we need to make the variable Eingabe (the password that you enter) match the variable d1 (the correct password). So what is d1?

//edit (aranyic)
    ;) they can find out for themselves, that's already a good hint. Let's not spoil it for everyone.

//edit (Nekromancerus)
    :eek: My bad.