MS To Cancel Sidewinder Line o Products

Captain-Bort-BortsonCaptain-Bort-Bortson New Orleans, LA Member
edited August 2003 in Gaming
I heard MS was cancelling the Sidewinder products because of lack of interest by gamers for anything other than a mouse and keyboard to play games with. I havent got a link to anything more concrete ect.
However, on a side note, at compusa all the microsoft joysticks were ordered back to the factory recently.
A link or corroberating data would be nice reading.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Flightsim, Mechsim or Driving sim without wheel = LOSE

Cant be removed completely.....

NS
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Damnit, you better go get your own joystick ben (bort) before its too late, because you can't take mine with you to new orleans, though you can borrow it for the next few weeks.
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by pigflipper
    Damnit, you better go get your own joystick ben (bort) before its too late, because you can't take mine with you to new orleans, though you can borrow it for the next few weeks.

That post made absolutely no sense at all...........

And what I meant to say was "without a wheel or joystick" not just a wheel....... I'm sure Mechwarrior is just as fun with a wheel, but.... just no.

NS
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited August 2003
    I admit I am using the mouse and keyboard more in games, but there are still many games that are pretty crappy with out a joystick or gamepad. Racing games need at the very least a pad, and preferably a wheel. Any sport or platform game needs a pad. And flight sims need a joystick. Tisk Tisk Tisk.

BTW, here is a link to a news post about Microsoft canceling Sidewinder. <A HREF="http://www.icrontic.com/index.php?module=archives&&id=1241&quot; target=_blank>Linkage</A>
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited August 2003
    Madcatz or Hotas (high end) for flight sims.

Gravis for gamepads

Logitech Momo Force Feedback for wheels and pedals :)
    - Although, I have to admit that I only have an MS sidewinder...cuz when I went to pick up the Momo from the semi-local Best Buy, it was night, storming, and a heavily trafficked Highway 280 in Birmingham. I nearly had a wreck, so when I got to Best Buy and found out the Momo's were out of stock, I refused to leave without a force feedback wheel and pedals ;)
  • Captain-Bort-BortsonCaptain-Bort-Bortson New Orleans, LA Member
    edited August 2003
    The pigflipper post means that I need to buy my own joystick for BF1942 ect because I cannot borrow his like ive been doing. Especially since I would probably take it across state lines shortly. But dont worry pigflipper, I just bought one last nite online. BTW I remember where I saw this story, it was in GMR magazine, a small little box in the news area of the magazine.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Yeah, but my joystick is dying, doesn't want to work more often than not. Looks like I might be getting a new one as well.
  • Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited August 2003
    MS tightening the screws on PC gaming controllers would certainly be one way of saying get your game butts over onto the Xbox platform. Saddens me to think that MS could also pull the plug on DirectX to stop PC gaming dead in it's tracks and presumably they would try a stunt like this if they had more confidence in Xbox as a platform.

Ed^
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by Ed^Chigliak
    MS tightening the screws on PC gaming controllers would certainly be one way of saying get your game butts over onto the Xbox platform. Saddens me to think that MS could also pull the plug on DirectX to stop PC gaming dead in it's tracks and presumably they would try a stunt like this if they had more confidence in Xbox as a platform.

Ed^

Nothing to stop anyone from using OpenGL, and that would also make it easier for games to be ported over to Linux.

NS