NF7-S Disk Read Error

Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
edited September 2003 in Hardware
I recently got an NF7-S and everything seems to boot up fine except it gives an error saying "Disk Read Error". Its a 60 gig maxtor that I pulled from my old system and it is recognized in the BIOS. Anyone know what's going on?

Comments

• edited August 2003
    make sure you ahve it set as the master drive. You might alos want to try installing the max blast software that should come with the hd.
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited August 2003
    It's already at master and I know it works because I just pulled it out of my old computer. Max Blast won't help cause the drive is already formatted and has been in use for a while.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited August 2003
    Do you have the drive connected to IDE or SATA?
    edited August 2003
    IDE
    edited August 2003
    Are you using an ATA100/133 cable?

Try setting the jumper on the drive to CABLE SELECT. If I remember correctly, that's what I had to do on my 160gb Maxtor on my NF7-S.
    edited August 2003
    Its been set to cable sel, but still nothing. Someone over at AMDMB said that since I was using the hd with a VIA based board previously (Asus A7M266) that I'm going to have to reformat the drive so unless someone else knows what's going on that's what I'm gonna be doing.
    edited August 2003
    If you're changing from VIA to nVidia chipset, I would format/re-install. I didn't realize it was seeing the drive.
  • d-rkerd-rker UK
    edited August 2003
    try clearing the cmos ,use another ide cable/slot .if you have another disk @ hand ,use it instead to see if the problem is either with the mobo or hd .
    edited August 2003
    Anyone think an xp repair install will work?
  • edited August 2003
    The repair feature of XP should work. However, I would format and reinstall anyway as you will probably get better performance from your "new" system than just doing a repair. That said, Tex will probably say that I'm wrong as he never reinstalls anymore, just repairs. But, you did the mb change for more speed, am I right? So why not takle full advantage of your system by getting rid of all of the unecessary drivers and s**t that you don't need that could get in the way of a smooth running system.

just my $.02.

S!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by swordsman
    The repair feature of XP should work. However, I would format and reinstall anyway as you will probably get better performance from your "new" system than just doing a repair. That said, Tex will probably say that I'm wrong as he never reinstalls anymore, just repairs. But, you did the mb change for more speed, am I right? So why not takle full advantage of your system by getting rid of all of the unecessary drivers and s**t that you don't need that could get in the way of a smooth running system.

just my $.02.

S!
    Agreed!!!

And since you were using a VIA based board before this or a repair is the only way out. I also recomend downloading bios 18 or 19 and flashing fist so everything is real fresh!
  • edited August 2003
    Thanks!
    edited September 2003
    Working fine now.
  • edited September 2003
    What was the problem?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by Eu4ik
    What was the problem?
    He had a previous Windows install from old system and that system had a completely different chipset on the motherboard so he kept getting errors when Windows tried to load.