Broadband Advice....

SteTheDudeSteTheDude Rochdale, England!
edited October 2003 in Hardware
Hola everyone!

Hope this is the right place to post this topic.... last one i did got moved eek. Anyhow Im trying to ask a "General" question about Broadband.

Basically I live near the Waltons on a hill far away and the little village i live in has finally hit the BT Trigger level for Broadband. So, fingers crossed we MAY get it at some point.

I was wondering what good UK Broadband suppliers there are and what modems I should look out for and which ones to avoid etc.

NTL is out the question as we are not very civilised here and NTL is a myth, no one has it haha

anyhow, any feedback would be great.

im on Freeperve anytime dial up now and thats as good as it gets for Dial up, would broadband be a good choice on this provider? Im staying away from AOL dont worry :D

Sorry for any waffle

waffle.gif

Comments

• d-rkerd-rker UK
    edited September 2003
    using Eclipse Connect 500 Lite (512k/256k) since June last year .
    the speeds are good and downtime minimal .
  • SteTheDudeSteTheDude Rochdale, England!
    edited September 2003
    Cheers
    edited September 2003
    i bean lookin up bits and bobs about broadband... The site I looked at said PCI ADSL modems tend to be cheaper and generally faster. Is this true?

Also would I be better getting a modem and a decent HUB to share the broadband with or just get a switch?
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Broadband router with a switch is the only real decent way to go if you want to share it and want decent speeds. Lots of issues with USB Broadband and it normally has a higher ping too.

Nildram, Eclipse and Zen are the 3 ISP's you want to look at.

NS
    edited September 2003
    thanks, i will look into it
    edited September 2003
    hehe Zen's base is about 3 miles from my house :D
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited September 2003
    I was forced to get btopenworld broadband, can't really complain it works. minor problems pop up with the modem every so often and a reboot sorts em out.
  • edited October 2003
    I've used Pipex for about the last 18 months - with no compaints!
    edited October 2003
    does anyone know what modem you get with the Freeserve Broadband package? ive bean lookin on the site and cant find out what modem it is, i dont fancy paying £50 for a shit one
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Freeserver are shit. Point blank. Check them out. As I said, if they advertise alot > they suck.

NS
    edited October 2003
    ive bean on the dial up for years now and have never had a problem with em, and as far as 56k goes it was as fast as your gonna get...

decisions decisions....