Crappy fps in BF1942

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited September 2003 in Gaming
I get from 15-40 fps just riding around and like 10 when a few tanks show up and a battle begins. I'm running at 1024 x 768 w/ max detail settings. My PC should be enough to play it well and with 4x AA but noooo, something is acting up and it's only with this game. Maybe it's 2K3 or DirectX 9b. I'm using latest patch and DC mod (0.39). PC specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1539mhz (yeah....yeah my board sucks)
ECS K7S5A
512MB PC2100
40 and 2x 80GB HDD's
ATi Radeon 9700 NP (Omega 2.4.74a = modded Catalyst 3.6)
Windows Server 2003 (w/ all updates and patches)

OC'ing the card is a no go since I get artifacts. Don't know if flasing the card's bios would help. I've never tried it.

I'll try w/o DC and see if the game runs well. But I'm only getting the crappy frames with BF1942. So any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Well just tested running plain BF1942 and I gotta better frames. Mostly higher than 60fps but I would think my rig could've gotten higher. Would the cpu be holding me back?

/me needs monies
  • Captain-Bort-BortsonCaptain-Bort-Bortson New Orleans, LA Member
    edited August 2003
    Turn down your effects, when you get into a battle and there are tanks exploding, grendades, smoke ect that slows my game down a bunch, especially with Desert Combat. I run at 1024x768 with max everything but effects and 64 bots run fine on xp2100 geforce4 ti4600 and 512ram. and when i think about it, i dont miss those effects anyway =0
  • Captain-Bort-BortsonCaptain-Bort-Bortson New Orleans, LA Member
    edited August 2003
    Additionally, if your playing with bots, especially on the battle of the bulge, the game will crawl to a dead halt if a couple of bots get stuck together. On that battle, the bridge near the village and the pillbox facing down the hill from the windmill, ive had the entire allied team get stuck in one mass of humanity. A grenade fixes that problem and everything was fine. Turn down ai time also, the bots are retarded anyway so use that extra 15% for your enjoyment and fps.
  • verselloversello New
    edited August 2003
    I can get smooth fps on my laptop @ 1024 x 768 w/ 32 bit and everything on high. Must be something to do with 2k3.
  • SteTheDudeSteTheDude Rochdale, England!
    edited August 2003
    my set up is a T Bird 1.4, G4 Ti4600 128, 512 DDR running XP and its smooth as a babies bum. I dont use FSAA though, i guess that would slow it down a lot.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited August 2003
    Originally posted by versello
    I can get smooth fps on my laptop @ 1024 x 768 w/ 32 bit and everything on high. Must be something to do with 2k3.

Agreed..., 2K3 is server software, not ment for gaming.

"g"
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    how can you tell your FPS in BF1942? You use fraps or is there a built in command?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited August 2003
    Agreed..., 2K3 is server software, not ment for gaming.
    Like I've said before, it's the only game that's giving me problems in 2K3
    how can you tell your FPS in BF1942? You use fraps or is there a built in command?
    I use fraps
  • Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited September 2003
    try turning the AA and AF off; I did yesterday at a LAN center and the game worked just fine then.

It was a P4 3.06, FX 5600
    edited September 2003
    AA and AF have been off and the frames still drop in battle :(
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    have u checked memory usage on your pc? while gaming?

at diff resolutions and AA.

check if its swapping to your drive.
    edited September 2003
    Game only uses 220-250mb (of 512mb) of ram. Another problem is that 1024x768 the font is unreadable. Looks all garbled. Is that a general bug?
  • verselloversello New
    edited September 2003
    I had a similar problem actually on my laptop a while back using older nvidia drivers (when I had a GeForce 4 go in my laptop). Fps dropped the low 1's, but it seemed random and like a driver issue.
    edited September 2003
    I've used the cat 3.6, 3.7 and the omega 3.6 to no avail.
    edited September 2003
    Well I think I've found the problem. I don't have sufficient ram even with 512mb. I lowered the AGP Aperture size cause I had it at 256mb and now since the game has more ram to avaliabe, it's using almost 400mb of ram (fluctuates between 388-392mb) and that's with like 24 bots. :(
    edited September 2003
    thank you , thank you
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited September 2003
    Blackhawk, if you have DC .4 now, maybe we can hook up and play a few games one night :)
    edited September 2003
    Originally posted by Rot Katze
    Blackhawk, if you have DC .4 now, maybe we can hook up and play a few games one night :)
    Sure! IM contacts in profile.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited September 2003
    I received the game of the year Balllefield 1942 and the expansion named Secret Weapons of WWII, as a gift Sunday, from my daughter.
    I am a shooter gamer, but I cannot play online since the Satellite internet connection pings about 2000.
    She thought this was a game like MOHAA, Spearhead etc.
    I cannot use the game, I installed the game and it plays well on my system, but gameplay is just not my thing.
    FPS varied between 16 up to 70 depends on where I was and what was going on.
    I would like to sell this software or trade this software for something I could use.
    I don't know if this is a no no on this forum or not.
    I did not see anything regulating such.
    These are two boxes, brand new, only the game has been opened and then all put back like it came out.
    Thanks BJ
    edited September 2003
    HEllo bobyjo

yes u should move that post to the trading post

here

please dont forget to mention the price.
    im sure someone would love the buy that off ya.