Game flashes back to windows desktop, won't let me start a game

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited October 2003 in Hardware

Comments

• yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited October 2003
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited October 2003
    Typically that sort of behavior is the result of instability (usually from overclocking). Other possibilities are poor/old or corrupted video (or other) device drivers, overheating, etc.

Is it only happening with one game or a bunch of them? Many games have done this to me in the past until I applied the proper updates/patches to them. Often CD verification can cause these issues as well.
    edited October 2003
    edited October 2003
    ***UPDATE***

It almost started (with Yuri's Revenge), but still popped back out with an error window. The error reads as follows: "DDRAW.DLL Error code=88760245"
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    What graphics card do you have an what drivers are you using for it?

NS
    edited October 2003
  • verselloversello New
    edited October 2003
    Try running "dxdiag" from START -> RUN -> type dxdiag

Click on the "Display" tab then click on "Test DirectDraw". If that fails, try reinstalling DirectX.
    edited October 2003
    edited October 2003
    but now i have been getting an error that asks me to send to microsoft. The error is:

Title:ASUS nVidia Series Shell
    error box:ASUS nVididia Series Shell has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
    ...<microsofts standard talk>...

Are these to related at all, because I have been getting this for a little while, but not all the time.

P.S. I did try reinstalling Direct X, but I don't think I completely unitstalled it first, I don't even know if windows will let you.
    edited October 2003
    Try using the drivers straight from nvidia's site, don't use the ones that came with the card (Asus may have changed them in some way).
  • verselloversello New
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, try what stoopid sez. If all else fails, a reformat will always do the trick ;)
    edited October 2003
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited October 2003
    install the LATEST drivers for all of this stuff... not just what came on the cd
    edited October 2003
    Yagga, listen for a change. I told you to install the drivers form the nvidia site. try that. I did not say reinstall windows, unless "Try using the drivers straight from nvidia's site, don't use the ones that came with the card (Asus may have changed them in some way)" means "reinstall windows and you're screwed". :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm tired of going around in circles.
  • Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited October 2003
    are you using no-CD patches?
  • edited October 2003
    you say you have to keep reinstalling....if you have a raid controller (on or off board) make sure the drivers are newer than the bios on the mobo....took me 5 reformats to figure that little trick
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited October 2003
    are you running folding, i found mine cause that problem when i had folding running and tried to start a game.
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited October 2003
    His lack of response is worrying.... He seemed kinda stressed when he last posted, perhaps it was all too much for him...

Can totally relate to his stressing though, PC's are fantastic... when they work.
  • verselloversello New
    edited October 2003
    OMG... hope he didn't surf to some Japanese site and get information on painless suicide :O
  • Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by versello
    OMG... hope he didn't surf to some Japanese site and get information on painless suicide :O

shotgun to the head is painless

the shot travels faster than your body can send the signal
    edited October 2003
    edited October 2003
    www.nvidia.com for new drivers, NOT asus (that's the entire point, stop using those drivers).
    edited October 2003
    edited October 2003
  • wrx_225wrx_225 USA
    edited October 2003
    Have you tried update win XP or all others update?

It's happened to me many times, some of the time this work. First time it happened, I reformatted the comp, but still did not work. But after I had all windows update and a few crashed and it work for the game! Give it a try!

P.S.: I used to OC, but it happened even I did not OC, seem to me the problem is sometime else.
    edited October 2003
  • verselloversello New
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by yagga
    Also, I have not been responding because I have been getting new carpet and had to shut my computer life down for a few days, but I don't mind since I am not absessed with computers, I just like when they work so I can do something on them that is fun every once and a while.

It's ok to be in denial, Yagga ;)
    edited October 2003
  • edited October 2003
    I've been having a similar problem lately. I formatted and reinstalled WinXP along with the latest NVidia vid drivers and DX9. Now I'm getting textures dissapearing in Morrowind, and Halo wont run at all (flashes back to desktop, says "Exception! Gathering exception data..."

Ran DXDiag. Noticed that the DirectX8 test for the spinning cube fails. No cube pops up. I'm gonna try reinstalling DX...