applying thermal paste

Red-SquirrelRed-Squirrel Ontario, Canada
edited October 2003 in Hardware
I have silicon thermal paste on my CPU (Athlon XP 2000+ stock speed) and it usually runs at around 56C. With the 6 fans on my computer creating an insane air flow in there, the heat coming out is enough to keep my room warm even durring our cold winters here. I don't have heat from the furnace in my room as the duct is blocked, and I don't need it. :D

I'm ether thinking this thermal paste really sucks, or that I did not apply it right, is there a "trick" to applying thermal paste? I just put a little dab on the core, and spreaded it as flat as possible with a business card.

I'd like to get arctic silver or something, but none of my suppliers seem to carry that. I suppose it's more of an american thing or something. I find it pathetic that I actually have to order thermal paste from a supplier. No stores here actually sell it!

Oh, and my heat sink is a volcano 7 if it matters, but I'm sure that tempature is way overboard for stock speed.

Comments

• NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited October 2003
    Never heard of that "silicone" thermal grease. Look here to give you a general idea on how to apply thermal compound:
    http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

I suggest either Artic Silver or ceramique also made by Artic Silver.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, you will see quite a boost in cooling performance with a good thermal grease. That silicone stuff is truly junk when compared to a designer grease like Arctic Silver. It won't work miracles, but should help about 4C over your current cooling, and 4C is quite a bit for ONLY replacing the thermal grease.
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited October 2003
    My load temps went down 11C by switching to AS3 from the goop.
    Where in Ontario are you?
  • Red-SquirrelRed-Squirrel Ontario, Canada
    edited October 2003
    Looks like the way I applied it was fine, but I think it's the cleaning part I got bad, as I had the thermal pad on there and I just scraped it off, nothing more.

I don't think I can get arctic silver from any of my suppliers, but there is one with a description of "silver based thermal paste" but not sure if it's that. Suppliers don't give much details usually. And there's no way I'm ordering from an actual US store. I'll end up paying like 40 bucks for a tube. :D
  • edited October 2003
    That stuff is decent, and a tube will last you a while.

Its worth paying the extra money if you can find it.
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by Red Squirrel
    Looks like the way I applied it was fine, but I think it's the cleaning part I got bad, as I had the thermal pad on there and I just scraped it off, nothing more.

That could be a cause as well, especially if the old pad material is preventing a flush fit... I suggest cleaning it completely to a mirror shine and reapplying you current goop to see if that helps.

11C change using AS?? Man, you need to send that testimonial into AS! :p
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited October 2003
    Originally posted by stoopid
    11C change using AS?? Man, you need to send that testimonial into AS! :p

My old XP1600 ran 54C load @stock with goop. AS3 took it down to 43C.
    My new 1700tbredB runs 49C load @2.4 @1.7vcore with AS3.

AS3 is definately a great investment!
    edited October 2003
    Yeah I'll have to try cleaning it again. It was hard to remove, but something I never thought of was using my dremel. I have this bit that's like a cloth and can clean, never tried it but it's worth a try. I just have to use decent speed and not shave the whole core off when using it on the cpu. :D
  • edited October 2003
    Nail varnish remover is good for cleaning that stuff off. It dries quickly too, so you shouldnt do any damage with it.

Get yourself a small bottle. It wont cost much, and you can freak yourself out by pouring it on your hands and making them feel all weird and cold :P
    edited October 2003
    lol I put ethane on my hands once, it feels so weird. :D

Just wondering, should I have to worry about any of these liquids getting on the actual cpu "components" sticking out? Do I need to be extra carful so it does not get off the core, or am I just paranoid?

I assume rubbing alcohol works well too, I know that we have already so I'll have to redo this sometimes. I'm sure running at 56C is not healthy. :D If I turn off my loud 120mm fan, it goes up almost 10 degrees. LOL
  • edited October 2003
    I would say paranoid, as long as you clean up any mess then you should be safe in the knowledge that the chips can take a good beating - the CPU can be dipped in water, cleaned and dried and still work
    (though its certainly not ideal ;))
    edited October 2003
    Arctic silver is supposed to be non-coductive, which is part of its charm, but have heard examples of it being just conductive enough to damage ram chips (for example) when adding ram sinks to a video card with AS and super glue, etc.
  • edited October 2003
    Yeah.. The only thing you need to watch out for is connecting all those little bridges with a blob of arctic silver.. Its the reason AMD wont recommend the stuff. Stick a blob on the core and clean up any mess and you should be set.
    edited October 2003
    I just reapplied my current paste, and now it's at 49C and it's climbing I'm sure. Oh, 50 now. I assume I'll end up with the same temp. 3rd time I redo this.

My comclusion is, silicone plain sucks and it's the best I'll get out of it. Now that I think of it.. who needs thermal paste, I'll take it off....

J/K :D

I'll try ordering the one with the description of "silver based" from my supplyer, it's a bit more expensive so I hope it will actually be AS and not some no name crap. I'm sure I can contact AS to ask for a supplier in Canada, but I dont want to apply for an account just to get one item. Oh well, it's not like my CPU is burning or anything. As long as I don't want to overclock I should be fine.

It's running at 53 now, the graph is like an square root diagram where it slowly stops going up. This is 100% all the way mind you, I run UD and never take it off.
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited October 2003
    if you reaplied it 3x and get the same temps, it's a sure thing the bottom of your hsf is warped and not seating on the core properly.

You can:
    A) Lap it nice-n-flat http://overclockersclub.com/heatsinklappingguide.php

b) Get a better ( and flat) hsf
    edited October 2003
    Well it is scratached if that makes a difference but I assume there's still enough surface area and that the paste gets in the "cracks" anyway. But I've been drulling on the newest blower types so if I get another heat sink I might go ahead and figure out where I can get one of those. It's very hard to get stuff down here, only way is through wholesale suppliers and I want to minimize having a bunch of accounts with them as my sales dept is very slow, it's more the troubleshooting dept that I get most customers