Halo: Combat Evolved (PC) - Review

drowddrowd Texas
edited November 2003 in Gaming
I know you have all been itchin' to finally read about whether Halo for the PC lives up to its Xbox counterpart. You can read all about it at IcronticGames.

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited October 2003
    Any good US retailers having sales on this right now? I read the review and liked the Xbox version (couldn't play it well, though, becuase of the damn controller=teh sux).

** So far the cheapest I found it was $39.99 at circuit city... **
  • edited October 2003
    I think thats about right as the standard suggested retail is $50.00

But you can probably get a little cheaper than $39.99
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited October 2003
    I just heard about some bugs, even posted a bit of my opinion about cruddy (and usually premature) game releases...

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2183649#post2183649

Sadly, I'd hardly call the 2 year wait for a PC version of Halo "premature", but it appears to be... surprise surprise...
  • edited October 2003
    I hate the game. It runs horribly. If they were gonna make it for PC they would have done it right. Worst game......
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited October 2003
    I cannot understand how someone can join a 16 player server and not have a totally incredible experience. I have been playing it non-stop, and i havent really run into too many bugs with the exception of one or 2 isolated incidents. also, i have not had any problems with it running horribley, but i know some friends of mine that want to run it on there ti4600 with everything maxed out, and sorry, but that card isnt top dog anymore. thats what i have, and i have to tone some stuff down, but it certainly doesnt ruin the experience and it certainly doesnt run horribley . . .
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited October 2003
    I'm sure gogamer.com will have a 48 hour madness sale soon that will include Halo. My guess is it will be $32.95
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited October 2003
    You know when Halo came out, there were really big on the 'only on Xbox' thing, indeed it says it on my Halo box.... Whats that all about then. Microsoft lying? Surely not!!
  • edited October 2003
    The people demanded it, after all its interpretation, in the strict sense they didnt say it was only ever going to be on the Xbox forever, it said "only on the Xbox" which at the time it was.

Microsoft don’t release it onto the PC --> Bah boo to Microsoft and their Xbox dominance

Microsoft do --> Bah boo they lied :D

I believe the same was mentioned about the console version of GTA3 not appearing on another console and it being PS2 only, but thats Sony and not Microsoft, so its ok :)
  • SteTheDudeSteTheDude Rochdale, England!
    edited November 2003
    the "only on xbox" thing is only valid for a month or so. Ive heard somewere that they can put that on the packaging if XBOX has the rights to it for over a month...

im gonna have to obtain a copy of the PC Halo once i get broadband tho...
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    I have to agree with loki, it runs like shite, the graphics are mediocre at best, the levels are repetetive (don't even say Library), if you run EAX then you may not even hear half the game, that is if the game with even start after all the Pixel shader issues it has.

To be honest, it is pure garbage.

NS
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Originally posted by PyobliE
    You know when Halo came out, there were really big on the 'only on Xbox' thing, indeed it says it on my Halo box.... Whats that all about then. Microsoft lying? Surely not!!

It was originally slated for PC long before Xbox anyway. The back of my Voodoo5 5500 card retail box has screenshots of Halo :)
    edited November 2003
    i had a voodoo 5500 card... paid £250 for it! then they went bust or got bought out :(
    sold it to some sucker on Ebay tho :D
  • edited November 2003
    the levels are repetetive (don't even say Library)

you cant blame the pc version for that one, they're the same levels as the xbox version.

something is wrong with your computer if its running like crap. it automatically downgrades its quality to meet your capabilities.

the new levels are pretty sweet, and now that its on pc, it gives the opportunity for custom levels.

The new guns make things interesting as well, rocket warthog? hells yes.

halo's story was good, but it was the multiplayer that kicked ass, many a lan parties will be played with this game now :) it just sucks that coop mode was removed.
    edited November 2003
    i just wished they would have released Halo on the PC before the Xbox. Feels a little dated now
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited November 2003
    Glad Sexbox got it first, so are MS, the sales of xbox would have been even worse were it not for Halo. Just wish they had added to the game for the PC release, rather than just porting it (badly). One extra wepon and the removal of coop isnt good enuff IMO. I origionally intended to buy the game on both platforms, but I will not be buying the PC version.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited November 2003
    well i dont think the TWO extra weapons and TWO extra vehicles are even what people like the best about the PC version. But rather an expansion on what made the xbox version great. the multiplayer. the addition of the 6 new multiplayer maps is reason enough to buy that game imo. i really do not know what the deal is however with the folks with top-o-the-line hardware that get poor performance out of halo. i have read several documented cases about this and it is utterly bizarre. all i know is that it runs smooth as butter on my 2100+ and 4600.

one other thing to note, i know everyone knows folks that deal trememendously with some of the trade in Juarez, Mexico, but often times this software is not even complete. I dont know how many people i talked to judged the game on the single player being identical to the xbox version. THAT WAS THE WHOLE IDEA! where Gearbox was really given the control to do what they wanted was the expansion within multiplayer, and these folks that pirated the software did not even give the multiplayer a chance. All i am saying, is dont be one of those people. someone who judges. without the full experience. of halo deliciousness. right on . . .
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited November 2003
    Sorry drowd.... 2 weapons not one...My bad... :)
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited November 2003
    that wasnt even my point. my point was that they are fairly inconsequential to the 6 new multiplayer maps that totally rock ass. thats all . . .