First boot shuts PC down after few seconds

edited February 2004 in Hardware
I'm having this weird problem with my new system. After I cold boot my PC, it mostly (but not always) shuts down again after a few seconds, even before my screen displays anything.
Then, after I hit the power button again, everything boots normaly (but again, not always. sometimes 2 or 3 times before normal boot)
I also encountered this effect after rebooting from windows. Computer restarts, then shuts down after 2-3 secs...

I have a P4 2.4Ghz system, using a Abit IC7 motherbord with latest bios installed.

Any help is welcome

Comments

• edited November 2003
    now dont take this to heart or anything but the last tine that I had a problem like that my processor was going. Im sure wiser heads than mine might have some idea of what is really wrong.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    What are your voltages. +12, +5, and +3.3 lines. They will be the most stressed at boot up since everything will be drawing power then.
  • edited November 2003
    Voltages are set normal. I do not overclock this machine.
    Do I need to monitor my voltages you think?
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Originally posted by Lestat
    Voltages are set normal. I do not overclock this machine.
    Do I need to monitor my voltages you think?

Lestat

What mmonnin meant was, what are the voltage readings for the 12, 5 and 3.3 lines. This way we can find out if one of those lines is possible weak coming from your power supply and that is a very possible problem with your system but no one knows till we know what these values are.

Yes, you need to monitor these and if your mobo doesnt have one available use mbm 5.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    You can also check in the BIOS which may show you your temps and voltages as soon as you turn on the machine (depending on your machine).

NS
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2003
    In the BIOS it should be under PS Health or something like that to look at the voltages.
  • edited November 2003
    The voltages are:

CPU core volt 1.50
    DDR volt 2.57
    DDR VTT volt 1.28
    AGP VDDQ volt 1.53
    ATX +3.3V 3.24
    ATX +5V 4.97
    ATX +12V 11.85
    Batt volt 3.28
    Standby volt 4.96

these values look pretty normal, right???
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    those voltages look pretty good.

I am still sticking with PSU as being the cuprit though. The PSU is under the highest demand during boot-up and could still be causing the problem when cold. Could we please have a listing of everything in your system.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited November 2003
    It would help a great deal if you would list all the components in your system.
    Use some order as the mobo,bios,video card,cpu,hs/fan,hd,case & ps,cdrw,dvd-r,floppy,what cabling being used to the drives. What is the brand of the PS, and what is the wattage listed to each of the three rails on the PS.
    OS, (Win98se,XP,XP-Pro,Linux whatever.
    We can help you with this.
    I have the IC7-MAX3 and have no problems like you are having. We have two other nF2 systems up and running and no problems with those either.
    So someone here can certainly help you resolve this.
    This could be as simple as the NB fan or HS fan not registering the rmp's like they should.
  • edited November 2003
    Oké, thank you for taking the time for this. I'll list my PC setup but I don't know how to check my wattages for each of the devices

Intel P4 2.4Ghz Multithreading, 800FSB
    default processor cooler
    Abit IC7 motherbord
    Antec case and power source (350W - dual fan)
    Geforce4 Titinium
    100mbit networkcard
    Pinacle Rave PCTV card
    2X 256MB DDRRAM
    1X 120GB HD SATA
    2X IDE HD (30GB 40GB)
    DVD ROM drive
    DVD RW drive
    Abit Media XP front bord
    using WinXP

Anything else???

Also, I had twice now that when the computer boots, it gives me a error like this:
    Processor had been dammaged or changed, please check SOFT MENY (or something like that)
    This doesn't look good i think...

But once my system is up and running, it has been completely stable.

hope you guys can help me
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited November 2003
    There is a sticker (maybe 2"-3") on the side of the powersupply, on this sticker will be the ampers ratings of all three rails of that unit.
    This is what I was asking for. These ampers ratings will tell how good your powersupply is.
    As far as when you boot, you are getting that error message. (cpu has been changed or something like this)
    Is nothing to worry about, when you first enter the bios screens, the very first one is "soft menu" Abit has this and is the only mobo that utilizes this (as far as I know)
    Just open the first page of the bios and be sure your cpu is set as it should be.
    I would recommend you get your manual and go through the complete bios setup.
    Make sure every item on every page is set to the proper settings. When you are through, save and exit.
    Your system will reboot and should give no error messages.
  • matpohmatpoh Iowa, USA
    edited November 2003
    Check this......I had a machine once where the power button, once pushed in stuck in. Just like holding the switch in, it powered off the machine. There may be a small piece of plastic catching the switch at times.

Just a thought....hope thats not it though....it would make all the work you have done even more frustrating.
  • antthisantthis Bowling Green ky
    edited December 2003
    When i get a problem like this i first clear my cmos thentake parts out and add them back one at a time then if i have to after a fresh install because im a slacker. oh i something just exchange parts to see their a issual but you guys seem to better at this then me
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited December 2003
    Did you figure the problem out?
  • BillBill Malaysia
    edited February 2004
    Hello,there.

I once had a similar problem. I discovered that I had turned the speed of the cpu fan too low. I own one of the those CoolerMaster xdream which has a knob to adjust the speed. I increase the speed slightly and it solved the problem.

Another thing, I suggest you turned off the temp monitors and temp alarm in the BIOS and observe for any difference.

Hope the above helps.

Bill
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited February 2004
    I'm gonna have to agree with mtgoat on the psu issue. When booting up the psu is really feeling the crunch of the draw since all the parts in the pc is pulling current all at the same time.

CPU core volt 1.50
    DDR volt 2.57
    DDR VTT volt 1.28
    AGP VDDQ volt 1.53
    ATX +3.3V 3.24
    ATX +5V 4.97
    ATX +12V 11.85
    Batt volt 3.28
    Standby volt 4.96

My board uses the +3.3v rail to feed the ram. I noticed that when the 3v rail drops under load, the pc will reboot or lock up. I see your +3.3v rail @ 3.24v, but i can bet under load she drops way pass 3.15v which will cause it. Can't be cpu temp because you mentioned this happens on a cold boot.

Also that 12v line doesn't look kosher either. With all those drives hauling current i would'nt go with anything less than a 450-500w psu.
    My suggestions:

TTGI
    Fortron
    Enermax
    And the mutha of all psu's ; PC Power & Cooling.

Don't bother with the Antec unless you're willing to vmod the rails.