Need help

edited November 2003 in Hardware
Please I need help.

I updated to Microsoft Windows Xp Pro edition after setting up my computer I decided to install the drivers from for the pci card. Once I setup the drivers it asked me for a reboot, once I rebooted my computer , it asked me if my monitor was connected? (That happens when the monitor isnt connected)

I get no startup screen, its my monitor isnt being recognized....

The computer in question is an old onboard video PC Hp 8650c.

Here are the details.
I narrowed it down to the following, Hard drive, monitor and and video cards.

My monitor works on my second computer. So I know the monitor is fine. So that leaves the hard drive and video card.

The hard drive in the HP functions in the second computer. So that elimnates both the hard drive and the monitor not functioning. (I even went as far as reformmating the hard drive to get the generic drivers back) I put the HD back into the hp computer (the hp is the one that doesnt work) I get the same error, "in a blue rectangular box: Monitor Connected?"

I recently bought a graphics card to replace because i thought that might be the problem. The video card. However upon putting it into the computer. It still does not pick up my screen. The monitor isnt activating like it should. I should get something... something at all, I dont even see the start up screen.

I used a previously PCI card on this machine with no problems. What else could be wrong? I am completely baffled as to this.

Comments

• Cyber13Cyber13 Virginia
    edited November 2003
    I think you are trying to say that your monitor is not working on the first computer so you installed another video card but it ( the monitor)still will not work. I think you are saying that the first computer has onboard video (video built into the motherboard).
    If this is right did you disable the onboard video in the bios setup after uninstalling it in device manager? Then install the new video card and drivers.
  • edited November 2003
    yeah...
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited November 2003
    Did you disable the onboard video on the system you have upgraded the OS?
    Then is the drivers for your pci video card, written for XP Pro?
    I would put more emphases on the second part than the first. Usually most mobo's will automatically recognize the PCI video card over the onboard video.
    If you are allowed to go into the device manager, you can tell which component is not installed properly there.