Good Gaming Card -- Not the Best but good enough...

edited December 2003 in Hardware
Thank you for those of you who replied to my ATI versus Nvidia thread

but come to think of it, i just want need for speed underground to run at a good frame rate, and have all the visual effects ready for me to use. i dont have the option for playing with ALL the visual options on my GF2 gts, it has 64 mb of ram but still, the game itself lags.... very much.

i have a p4 1.6 northwood 512K, Abit BL7 [only supports 1.5v, but does agp 8x work on this card?--which is .8v right?] 1 gig of ram, and this old crappy gf2 gts pro 64mb card.

i installed the game onto a friend's computer who had an athlon 1800+ with an ATI radeon 9600xt and the game looks incredible. but those are 200$

whats the cheapest solution to my problems?

thanks again guys.

Comments

• OlivasOlivas Phoenix
    edited November 2003
    You can pick up a geforce 4 ti4600 w/128 mb or ram off ebay for just over $100 if you keep a watch out.
  • R4CK3RR4CK3R Oklahoma
    edited November 2003
    Why not get a Radeon 9500 or 9600 video card?
    They are as good or better than the ti4600 since they support DX9.
  • Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited November 2003
    9600 pro is good...it's just like the XT but like $50 cheaper
  • edited November 2003
    I'm gonna get flamed for saying this but I like the FX 5200...

You get fairly decent performance for the tiny price tag, and the only game I cant run very well is Deus Ex: Invisible War. And nobody can run that well :P

I hear good things about the Radeon 9200 as well, both are very cheap and should suit you well if you plan to upgrade your whole machine in the not too distant future. That was my reason for buying the FX..
  • edited November 2003
    wait............. so the ti 4600 doesnt support directx9?

isnt need for speed ran on dx9???????
  • edited November 2003
    It supports it but its features are built around directx 8 so it wont perform as well as a card made with directx 9 in mind ala geforce fx and the newer radeons.
  • edited November 2003
    Originally posted by Massive_gas
    9600 pro is good...it's just like the XT but like $50 cheaper

then whats the difference?
  • OlivasOlivas Phoenix
    edited November 2003
    The core of the XT runs 100Mhz faster than the Pro. (500 vs 400)
  • edited November 2003
    but does that make a big difference?
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited December 2003
    You asked about a video card that is good, not the best. The Radeon 9600 Pro DDR128 will do whatever you want to do and will play any game you want to play. The card can be purchased for about $150.00.
  • edited December 2003
    thanks bobyjo