Ati Versus Nvidia

edited January 2004 in Hardware
which one should i get? i dont wanna spend too much.

my budget will be around 100$

should i get a lower end geforce? or a lower end radeon?

Comments

• edited November 2003
    what are u buying this card for? What do u expect it to do?
  • Jolyon33Jolyon33 Kalamazoo, MI
    edited November 2003
    $100 or less, best bang for the buck, gf 4 4200.
  • edited November 2003
    i do 3d modeling, some gaming.

i have a gf2 gts 64mb right now

i just need more power for more poly's [hl2, intense modeling]
  • JahyaJahya Virginia
    edited November 2003
    If you do 3d modeling, go nvidia. Trust me.
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited November 2003
    Like Jahya said, Nvidia is supposed to be superior in 3d, always were.
  • JahyaJahya Virginia
    edited November 2003
    Just dont turn on Anti Alias when in a 3d package. You'll get artifacts on screen.
  • OlivasOlivas Phoenix
    edited November 2003
    I picked a gf 4 ti 4400 w/ 128 MB off ebay for $84 with shipping. Had no problems with so far.
  • edited November 2003
    another thing.

i need a card that is ONLY 1.5volts. i have a bl7-raid that ONLY supports that version of AGP.

is the gf4 ti 4400 still a good choice?
  • karatekidkaratekid Ogdensburg, NY
    edited November 2003
    I believe 1.5V = APG 2.0, which is 4X. I think you would have a hard time finding a card that does not support 4X. I can't remember exactly when 4X became supported, but I know that all Geforce 3, 4, and FX cards support 4X, and possible Geforce 2 cards. On ATI's side, cards from 8500 and up support 4X, and possible the 7000 series.
  • edited November 2003
    hmm ok..

thanks =)
  • edited December 2003
    see because i just emailed the tech support for abit, and they said it only supports 1.5x agp.....

they said in the email
    Dear customer,

BL7 supports only AGP 4x 1.5 volt video cards.

Thank you for choosing ABIT.

Regards

Abit FAE
    www.abit-usa.com

Karate Kid, you said all the new ATI's support 4x. so if i use a 9600 it should work right?
  • edited December 2003
    anyone?
  • edited December 2003
    Originally posted by none drink water
    i do 3d modeling, some gaming.

i have a gf2 gts 64mb right now

i just need more power for more poly's [hl2, intense modeling]

I've got a GeForce GTS Pr0 64meg that's benching just over 6000 in an AMD 2500+ Barton system, not overclocked and ran Halo like a charm at 800x600. A $100 card won't get much better than what you have.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited December 2003
    For $100.00 if you can get a GF4-Ti4200 that will be the best video card.
    If I understand, you put down "HL2", the Ti4200 will not run that game, it is a DX9 game and the Ti4200 is not a DX9 piece of hardware.
    All the rest of the stuff the guys are saying are pretty well on coarse.
    You will have to pay $150.00 or more for the ATI's 9500 Pro or the 9600 Pro, then you can play HL2 as well as do all the other stuff also.
  • edited December 2003
    Originally posted by BobyJo
    For $100.00 if you can get a GF4-Ti4200 that will be the best video card.
    If I understand, you put down "HL2", the Ti4200 will not run that game, it is a DX9 game and the Ti4200 is not a DX9 piece of hardware.
    All the rest of the stuff the guys are saying are pretty well on coarse.
    You will have to pay $150.00 or more for the ATI's 9500 Pro or the 9600 Pro, then you can play HL2 as well as do all the other stuff also.

I believe you're a bit mistaken there. One of the Half Life 2 engines selling points is the fact it's theoretically able to run on anything from a Riva TNT 2 and up by automatically adjusting visuals based on the system. The link below will describe more under System Requirements.

http://www.ultimate-gamer.com/halflife2/hl2.htm

Besides, you can play pretty much any a DX9 game on a non-DX9 card, you simply won't be able to utilize the fancy textures and programmable pixel shaders.

• BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited December 2003
    Well what you will come up with is a screen with fps of somewhere near 5-15 fps. If you have a good DX9 card that will read the shaders properly these fps will be in the 30-60fps area. So it depends on wheather 5-15fps is playable for you or not. I do not think I would be happy with that rate of fps myself. As far as you, just put it together and see if things work for you. See the minimum specs on the hardware does not always tell the person that is running the game exactly all the poop about what will be going on with your system.
  • edited December 2003
    From what I understand about how the engine works, you can pretty much run it passably on anything (20-30fps). It won't run slower, but it will instead disable advanced graphic features. Just expect it to look more like Half Life 1.
    As far as minimum specs go, these days they're all a bunch of bullshit. I've run many new games at 30+ fps on a system meeting less than 1/3 the "Minimum" requisites. I've tested the box listed specs and they all end up being the minimum to run the game well at 1024x768, 32 bit color and most features enabled. Try it out. You'll find it holds true for 90% of games out there.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited December 2003
    You are correct on all the past games of DXx through DX8.
    DX9 and above is a different color horse and it works different than the older games.
    Afterall DX9+ games are what we are talking about.
    I know you haven't had any expierence in those games to give your opinion.
  • edited December 2003
    Actually yes I do. There is one DirectX 9 game on the market and I just happen to own it. GunMetal will run on a NON-directX 9 card. Albeit not very well, but then again it's not Half Life 2 and doesn't claim to run passably on low end systems as well as high end ones.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited December 2003
    Then you see the point that I am attempting to get across.
    The DX9 games will run on a non DX9 video card, but not nearly as well as it will on a DX9 video card.
    The game you have shows that the difference is quite noticable, and if you were purchasing the new games coming out (DX9) you would certainly want a DX9 video card so the games will play as they should.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Radeon 9600 256MB - $99 - http://buycyberpc.com/atisara9625d.html

What were people saying about nVidia being better at 3D anyway? Have you seen the 2D image comparisons on the pre-GF3 series? They were dire. Now if you look at any of their games, they may win on sheer horse power, but when it comes down to DX9 games, their cards get run into the ground as they are all hype and no performance, especially with their "Image degrading" drivers.
  • edited December 2003
    Last ATi card I had was a Rage Pro Turbo 2 or something along those lines. Had nothing but problems, was horrible. Practically every game I bought had a little section in the ReadMe saying the card had issues with the game.

Thats left a lasting mark, I'm not ready to spend the amount of money that a card costs on ATi yet, still dont trust em.

I have a Geforce FX 5600 now and its running games likes UT2003, U2 XMP, Deus Ex 2, NFS:U and Prince of Persia at high settings (appart from DX:IW) :P
  • edited December 2003
    Bobyjo... The card I was referring to was a GeForce 2 MX100. GunMetal runs like a charm at 800x600 on a PNY GeForce 2 GTS Pro, with little if no noticeable drops in fps. If you're going to go off telling people what cards they need to buy and what will and won't work, make sure you have somewhat of a clue of what you're talking about. Otherwise you come off as looking like some n00b ass who thinks he knows what he's talking about.
  • BobyJoBobyJo N C Texas
    edited December 2003
    Disciple::Since we build hi end gaming systems, I really think I do know what I am talking about.
    The video card you are mentioning is antiquicated and no-one would order a new system with a that card installed in it.
    A system with that card installed probably would score in the 2000 range on 3dMark2001se-2003, just this alone would turn away most people interested in purchasing a system.
    Most of the gaming systems we build score in the 18,000-20,000 range consistically.
    Just because you have this video card and can play certain games, does not mean that this video card would be a component of choice of the majority of system buyers.
  • edited December 2003
    Originally posted by BobyJo
    Disciple::Since we build hi end gaming systems, I really think I do know what I am talking about.

heh...anyone can build one. That doesn't say jack about what you know.

The GeForce 2 GTS Pro with 45.23 drivers will benchmark just over 5000 in 3dMark'01 at default settings(1024x768x32)...as well as play damn near any new game well. Very comparable, if not better than any card you can buy retail for around $100(i.e. GeForce FX 5200, Radeon 8000/early 9000 series, As well as the GeForce MX series) Do your homework n00b.
  • phlipphlip hell
    edited January 2004
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Disciple

heh...anyone can build one. That doesn't say jack about what you know.

The GeForce 2 GTS Pro with 45.23 drivers will benchmark just over 5000 in 3dMark'01 at default settings(1024x768x32)...as well as play damn near any new game well. Very comparable, if not better than any card you can buy retail for around $100(i.e. GeForce FX 5200, Radeon 8000/early 9000 series, As well as the GeForce MX series) Do your homework n00b.

You know that last comment was uncalled for. Try and keep some mature ettiqette.
This discussion has been closed.