Ugh!! Computer Problems : (

edited January 2004 in Hardware
I was fooling around overclocking my processor and RAM, and now I get lots of errors when I try to run games.

Errors:

Lord of The Rings - Return of the King:
An error has occured and RoTK cannot continue. Code C0000005 at 004A3A09.

The Lord of the Rings(tm); Return of the King(tm) will now exit.

Carom3D -
Could not create the Direct3DDevice object. The 3D hardware chipset may not support rendering in the current display mode.

Switching to software rasterizer.

Those errors do not allow me to play the games. As far as problems during play, my mouse seems to lag in any half life/mod that I try to play. My BIOS are up to date, as well as my video card drivers.

When I was overclocking my processor, the only thing that "went wrong" was that Winbond Hardware Monitor, Motherboard Monitor, and Abit Manager all seem to somehow be corrupted or something, as none of them will work now. Any help would be great!

(My computer is back at stock settings.)

Comments

• OrgazmoOrgazmo CT
    edited January 2004
    It's because overclocking is stupid.
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Orgazmo

Um...:rolleyes:

UnTouChed SoUL, you oc'ed too far and your ram timmings where too tight causing file corruptions. That's happend to me several times when i oc too far.
  • edited January 2004
    Originally posted by Orgazmo

I dont see any problem with overclocking..
    Sure, you might knock a few months of life span off the overclocked components, or burn them up entirely, or a million different things between. However, no one HAS to overclock anything.

I think posting in a "Help" thread, that in your opionion something or other "is stupid", is in itself, stupid .

Nebulous - Since I lowered everything back down so its stable... Is there any way to correct those file corruptions other then chkdsk?
    edited January 2004
    If you have XP installed, do a system restore or repair. As for the other files of the programs my suggestion is a reinstall of those programs is best.

Now that you know the limit of ocing, try not to get too close next time ;)

Have fun :D
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Yeah, throughout my overclocking journies, I've totally corrupted a Windows install twice. Each doing different things or things I had done previously. Sometimes it's just random. I ended up having to do a full reinstall.
  • edited January 2004
    Thanks guys, everything seems to be working properly again, and I have it slightly overclocked.
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited January 2004
    Glad to hear you got everything straightened out :).
    edited January 2004
    Werd! ;)
  • OrgazmoOrgazmo CT
    edited January 2004
    Originally posted by UnTouChed SoUL

I dont see any problem with overclocking..
    Sure, you might knock a few months of life span off the overclocked components, or burn them up entirely, or a million different things between. However, no one HAS to overclock anything.

Why risk it?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2004
    I agree. I fail to see a point in overclocking it. The system speed in the end isn't worth it most of the time though people will argue it. You aren't going to notice the difference most of the time beyond bench marks tests..