ide problem?

edited February 2004 in Hardware
Hi, im having a pretty annoying and bad issue wiht my cd drives on my system. Basically me trying to access a cd roms files, or by waiting for an autorun function etc, takes a really long time, like minutes to initiate...im guessing theres some problem with the ide drivers, but am not sure what, does anyone have any sugestions at all? Also i cant burn any cds due to this, it will start the process eventually, then record upto 4 percent and just stop, got a log file error of "No additional sence information" and an IO error. Installing stuff works ok, after the initial minute or two of the machine realising there was an action performed on my part or by autoruning something.

The system is a barton 2800 on an abit Nf7-s v2, one stick of crucial 512 ddr 3200. My main 80gig drives are running off the sata port in raid-0, the two cd drives and two other hard drives are running of the ide ports. IDE1 has an 60 gig maxtor and a 60 gig ibm, the maxtor is master, the other ide ahs the cd drives, the 54x is master and the LG burner is slave. The only other things i have in the machine are an SB Audigy Plat ex in PCI 5 and an Abit GF4 4200. My parallel and 1 serial are disabled, onboard sound is disabled, network is enabled, so are usbs and firewire

Everything elce on the system seems stable, games play ok, apps run fine, just anything requireing communication wiht the cd drives suffers. ANy ideas would be appreciated

im running xp sp1 and a 430 enermax

regards

Steve

Comments

• BillBill Malaysia
    edited January 2004
    Hello, there.

I think you have the following possibilities :-

1. The ide connector is a suspect. It works but fault occurs intermitently. It could be faulty. Give it a spray of WD40, then wipe it dry with tissue paper. Check for bent pins too.

2. Test with a good ide cable.

3. The cd drive could be faulty or the lens dirty. Try to clean the lens with a cd cleaner. If possible, test it with a different good working cd drive. What brand do you have. Is it Creative?

Hope the above helps.

Regards,

Bill
  • edited January 2004
    thanks for the reply, my ide cables seem fine, ive had em out and ckecked for dust and bent pins on teh board and such, the connectors are all spotless, they are brand new clear ata 133 cables and the board is brand new also. but i gave em a wipe down anyways just to be sure, and it still hasnt resolved the issue. The cd Drives are both less then 6 months old and were running perfectly in my oldxp2100 system, one is a 54x Artec cd drive, the other is a LG 52x24x52 burner, the artec occasionally casued issues with older discs, but i find most fast drives have this issue, so i tried a 56x CTX cd rom also and my dvd burner, all have the same issues. Im pretty sure the culpret is the damn soundcard coflicting with the controller again, any other ideas?
  • edited January 2004
    just thought id let anyone who was interested know, ive sacked xp off and ive installed win 2k, the pc works perfectly now....xp sucks
  • BillBill Malaysia
    edited January 2004
    Hi, there.

Very strange, never thought Windows XP gives this kind of problem.

Anyway, that is something new I just learnt.

Thanks.

Bill.
  • edited February 2004
    your drive controller prolly was not running in UDMA mode. you could have went into control manager and checked/changed it.
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited February 2004
    I never thought of using WD40 on anything on a comp. can you explain what I would spray with it for future reference.
  • edited February 2004
    you might have needed new ide drivers from via or whatever, i had that problem a while ago
  • edited February 2004
    One can blanket all MS operating systems with bad epithets, but I have an NF7-S V2.0 with a 2 drive sata raid0, a cd burner and a dvd burner and no problems and XP with no problems. The Barton 2500 is at 2.17 Ghz too. So a little more work on your part would probably have solved the problem and you would have had all the benefits XP has over 2K.

Just my $.02.

S!
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    UUHH Do NOT use wd-40 on ANY electrical part! Oil is an insulator.
  • septimusseptimus Toronto, Canada
    edited February 2004
    tripolitrx wrote:
    Hi, im having a pretty annoying and bad issue wiht my cd drives on my system.

The system is a barton 2800 on an abit Nf7-s v2,

What's this?? IDE problemo on NF7? can you check, in your device manager, what you have under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers"?

I have a feeling that you have the nVidia IDE SW drivers installed. If you do then there is a quick solution, you have to update the driver to a standard dual-channel IDE controller and you should be laughing :)

If you need help doing that post back :D