Adding a fan to Thermalright ALX-800

Nive11enNive11en Europe
edited February 2004 in Hardware
My ALX-800 is on its way, and will be with me this friday. This leaves me with the problem, what 80mm fan should I buy for it?

Some choices I've found:
Coolermaster Aero 7+ fan - there are some new ones on an auction site for sale, I really wonder how it would perform on the ALX-800. I might buy this just to see how it works.
Zalman ZM-F1 - a simple 80mm fan that can run at 1700 (20dB) and 3000 (34dB) RPM. Great choice imo.

Please give me some suggestions - maybe I should search for fans that offer more RPM speeds from 1000 to 5000, not necessarily any specifc brands?

Comments

• NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited February 2004
    My suggestion, get a fan that has the highest CFM's with the least Dba's. Doesn't really matter what brand.
  • Nive11enNive11en Europe
    edited February 2004
    Originally posted by Nebulous
    My suggestion, get a fan that has the highest CFM's with the least Dba's.
    That's the hard part.
    edited February 2004
    Results of the Thermalright ALX-800 heatsink along with Coolermaster 2800 RPM fan are available at http://www.icronticforums.com/showthread.php?p=27941#post27941
    edited February 2004
    Those load temps aren't too bad. They aren't perfect, but not bad. As a rule i try and stay under 40c loaded.
  • septimusseptimus Toronto, Canada
    edited February 2004
    The ALX-800 has a copper base and aluminum fins... which means that the copper, as it conducts heat extremely well, will conduct heat away from the CPU core to the Aluminum fins, which releases heat extremely well. You could get away with a low CFM fan and acheive the same temps that a higher CFM fan would on an all-copper heatsink.

In any case, just get a SCREAMER fan that is high CFM and high RPM, and control its speed with a rheobus. You'll be able to set the fan to a more comfortable speed AND have great CFM that way :D
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    thermalright pwns you!
    edited February 2004
    I'm really wondering how one of those Coolermaster Jet fans would perform with my Thermalright. I have an urge to order one for $8 :)

And yes.. I really wish the load temperature wouldn't reach 45C. But it's mainly the fault of case ventilation. I need to throw in more case fans that are more efficient. I'm probably gonna end up buying 4 coolermaster case fans. Since I already have one and it performs good RPM and not too loud.

But if I did go for a SCREAMER/delta fan at 5000 RPM I'm betting I'd get some bad ass temps :rolleyes:

Thermalright PWNS!
    edited February 2004
    After a while the noise of the fans will get anoying.. Keep in mind that the more fans you have, the more noise you'll hear. It's a little work to get the perfect blend of low noise & high cfms.

I'm a speed/power freak but all the noise of my whalin' fans gave me a headache. I stepped up to H20, then sub-zero cooling with a modded dehumidifier. Got fed up with that now i'm back to H20. My cpu temps right now are 20c idle and 23-25c loaded with a 1Ghz overclock and a vcore of 1.61v :D