Overclock a Linksys WRT54G

ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒAustin, TX Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Science & Tech
DISCLAIMER: If you toast your router, cry to someone who cares. This hack is to be used at your own will, and I take no responsibility for you smoking your $112 802.11G WAP. Short-media also takes no responsibility. REMEMBER THAT THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

I repeat this clearly:
-You're doing this on your own accord
-I am not responsible for damages
-Short-Media is not responsible for damages
-Your warranty will be voided

PREREQUISITES: The newest 9/9/03 firmware, WRT54G by Linksys.

PRELIMINARY INFO: The WRT54G runs Linux kernel 2.4.5 on a 125MHz MIPS processor with 16mb RAM. Approximate 9MB free if you would ever wish to execute your own code. If you want to know how to do that, let me know.

THINGS TO REMEMBER: This hack must be applied again if you (A) Turn your router off and back on (B) Soft-reset the router (C) Factory reset the router. The command functions like a linux command on a temporary file, reboot and it's gone.

Log into the router through your browser and proceed to the ping test window by going to administration -> Diagnostics. Click the ping test.

Follow the picture below. Where it says "TXPWR 84" change the value to 48. Eighty-four is too high a mW rating without additional cooling, and this value provides unstable signals.

The Linksys WRT54G comes with 19mW signal, which is complete crap. Due to FCC regulations, Linksys can't ship it with a signal strength much higher than this. They can't stop you though!

`/usr/sbin/wl -i eth2 txpwr 48` is the string to be placed in the WRT54G ping test interface. Place it in, and hit ping. Your signal strength is now double, and you have successfully overclocked your router. Also, go to the advanced section on your WRT54G and enable "Frame burst." This is what netgear and several other 54G providers are calling turbo mode.

;) Enjoy.
ยซ1345

Comments

• pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Wow, thanks Thrax. Thats what definitely seems to be lacking with my router. When I check linksys' website though, the only firmware from 9/03 is for the WRT54G VPN Broadband router. I know I have the v1.0 router (original release) with the 7/03 firmware. Can I update to the 9/03 firmware without a problem, or are these two routers different? I wouldn't think they are. Thanks.
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Release 9/9/03 WRT54G v1.1 firmware

I have a v1.0 WRT54G, but ran into no problems flashing to this version. :)
    edited October 2003
    Thrax said
    Release 9/9/03 WRT54G v1.1 firmware

I have a v1.0 WRT54G, but ran into no problems flashing to this version. :)

Ohhhhhhh, ok. My bad. I was looking at the firmware date, not the release date. Thanks.
    edited October 2003
    SWEET. Thanks Thrax. Now that thing is actually useful on the other side of the house!!
    edited October 2003
    How are your signal strengths before and after?
    edited October 2003
    Thrax said
    How are your signal strengths before and after?

Well, the only thing I have up is an XP Pro (No %s or anything) but the thing went from low to very good. (2 bars to 4 bars). Can XP tell me in %? I'll go change it and see what it was if it can.
    edited October 2003
    That's all I need. :D
    edited October 2003
    Thrax said
    That's all I need. :D

To make it easier to wardrive??;D ;D;D
    edited October 2003
    ;D That's already easy.

<3 Cisco + Yagi omni.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Great find, Thrax.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    Ooh, this is the router I was (am) going to buy.

Now I am going to come up with some mad ideas.

Can you compile a new kernel on it? But that probably wouldn't work as you cant see anything.

Is 48 the absolute maximum or can you go higher? (I mean realistically and usably).

Also, with the new power output, where does that place this AP in comparison with other APs?

Cheers,
    NS
    edited October 2003
    You can go up to 84, but that provides unstable connections. Max realistic is 68. Prepare to mod your router for that.

You have to compile a kernel outside on Linux and inject it, but you'd be better off modifying the GPLed code on Linksys's website. SeattleWireless has been working on modding the router's kernel for about 6 months, with only a little bit of success.

With the new power output, it puts it in the upper 30%. That is, 70% or so of existing WAPs have lower mW ratings.
    edited October 2003
    Whats the highest un-modded number?
    And does 68 really get it that hot?

NS
    edited October 2003
    200mW on Prism 2.5-chipped 802.11B WAPs. On 802.11G, it's about 100mW on some Cisco gear (~$700).

And yes, it gets that hot.
    edited October 2003
    So is 48 the max without additional cooling? Or would it be ok at something such as 56? (I meant highest for this AP, not globaly).

Meh.... don't really want to go physically modding my WAP.

Cheers,
    NS
    edited October 2003
    You might push 56. Give it a whirl. It's like a computer, it'll crash before you damage it. If you feel excess heat from the top of the router, 48 it.
    edited October 2003
    Lol, I feel excess heat from my current router and it is just a crappy 4 port D-Link wired router :(

Cheers Thrax,
    NS
  • DOSMANDOSMAN Grand Rapids, MI
    edited October 2003
    How do I tell if I have WRT54G 1.0 or 1.1. It's not in the manual, on the router itself, nor can I find it in the setup.
    edited October 2003
    1.0 has: "Instant Wireless Series" written to the right of the Internet LEDs.
    1.1 has something about Cisco.

Doesn't really matter. The newest linksys firmware for the v1.1 runs great on my 1.0. The hardware is identical between the two, they just changed some LEDs, writing on the router, and maybe design of the router itself.
    edited October 2003
    Yeah, don't worry about it DOSMAN. I did the same thing Thrax did. No probelms at all.
    edited October 2003
    Just got to wait for mine to arrive now........

NS
    edited October 2003
    THANK YOU THRAX!!!!

YOU ARE MY SAVIOR!!

Now, I can finally use my Laptop on the other end of the house. I had just accepted the fact that it wouldn't work, and now, Success! This is the coolest thing ever.
    edited October 2003
    At the other end of the house, I get Signal Strength 100%, but Link Quality gets pretty low around 30% and it drops out completely every once in a while. Would 48mW be too high/low?

And also, if I use a different mW number, what increments should it be in? 1? 8?
    edited October 2003
    Just tried this and as I am waiting for my WiFi PCMCIA card at the moment, the best I could do was test it with my PDA, and on a shelf above the Router, as I applied 56 (rather than 48) the signal strength on the PDA went from -36dBm to -28dBm. No idea how much gain that actually is, but it's something.

Thrax: Any idea how to put the WAP on the subnet 255.255.0.0 as it will only let me use 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.255.X which is a problem for my network setup.

NS
    edited October 2003
    Seems that the new Beta Firmware available now increases throughput but it 'fixes' the ping exploit, which means 19mW power for all.... and that sucks.

Hope someone either hacks it or Linksys for some reason 'un-fix' the new Firmware.......

NS
    edited October 2003
    Just use v1.1 firmware linked at the top of the page and the ping hack will work on the 54G.
    edited October 2003
    Thrax said
    Just use v1.1 firmware linked at the top of the page and the ping hack will work on the 54G.

I know.

I am just saying that the future Firmware(s) that improve speeds and add a few features prevent the Ping hack.

NS
    edited October 2003
    I'm sure someone out there will "h4xx0r teh firmwaerz".
    edited October 2003
    Thrax said
    I'm sure someone out there will "h4xx0r teh firmwaerz".

Someone reported their speed going from 15.8Mbps with the old Firmware to 21.5Mbps with the new firmware, which sounds promising.

NS
    edited October 2003
    Haha, fixed my crap signal problems by switching to channel 8.

I now get 103% signal in my front room (through the roof, then through the wall and diagnaly through the roof (basically up a room then left a room)).

One thing though, the speed doesn't seem to be able to settle. Even though the quality is at 103% it only seems to be at 48Mbps. Though it seems to go up and down depending on how much I use it (the more I use, the higher the speed says).

NS