Time-out

LINLIN Tri_State Area
edited November 2004 in Community
what is the time-out for viewing New Posts?

LIN

Comments

• drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2004
    too short :D
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    huh time out?
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    between when you first come back to the site and when posts are no longer listed as "new"

theres some timespan
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited July 2004
    drowd wrote:
    too short :D
    you figure on adjusting that? :)

LIN
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Yea, I never thought about saying anything about it, but it does bug me to lose the "new" on posts that I have not clicked on. I've actualy missed posts because of that and come back later and was like WTH?
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2004
    like, my personal opinion, we dont exactly flood the server with bandwidth or processing or anything. so i would honestly prefer for new posts to go on for a couple pages, if need be. its not like we have 1000 members all trying to view at the same time . . .

anyone else agree? :D
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited July 2004
    whatever blows your skirt up, drowd ;)

all i really need is for new posts not time out for at least an hour or until i've Marked All Forums Read :)

LIN
    edited July 2004
    drowd wrote:
    ....... so i would honestly prefer for new posts to go on for a couple pages, if need be..............

anyone else agree? :D

I don't understand what you mean? please esplane. :)
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2004
    like, right now, the timeout is a few hours i think. maybe just one hour. so if someone makes a new post, if that reset timer goes off, then when you come and click on new posts, it still wont show up as a new post for you, even though it is. so if we just make it several days (because of our number of members, we can afford the processor and bandwidth), then we wont have to worry about missing posts cuz we will have plenty of time to get back and see if there are new posts.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited July 2004
    drowd wrote:
    like, right now, the timeout is a few hours i think. maybe just one hour. so if someone makes a new post, if that reset timer goes off, then when you come and click on new posts, it still wont show up as a new post for you, even though it is. so if we just make it several days (because of our number of members, we can afford the processor and bandwidth), then we wont have to worry about missing posts cuz we will have plenty of time to get back and see if there are new posts.

alrighty then :)

LIN
    edited July 2004
    drowd wrote:

Gotcha, I concur!! :thumbsup:
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2004
    these obsessions with the word "concur" !!!...
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    The new post function is only reset when you sit idle for x number of minutes or close the browser, i think right now it's 10 minutes or so. It's completely different for each person and will show however many posts there have been since you last visited the site. So if you don't visit in 10 days 10 days worth will show, if it's been 15 minutes then that long will show up.

-Aranyic
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited July 2004
    Aranyic wrote:
    The new post function is only reset when you sit idle for x number of minutes or close the browser, i think right now it's 10 minutes or so.

-Aranyic

that's basically what i meant, "idle" time. 10 minutes is a rather short span of time. if i have to leave the room for more than 10-15 minutes, New Posts are gone.

i mark all forums read just before i log off. it's the "idle" time that prompted my post. can it be adjusted? :)

LIN
    edited August 2004
    BUMP. This is getting anoying!!!
    IMO a post should be new to me until I open it doesn't matter how long I am on or whether I log off or not!! I don't have enough time to read all the new post every time
    I long in.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited August 2004
    /agree
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited August 2004
    Zuntar wrote:
    BUMP. This is getting anoying!!!
    IMO a post should be new to me until I open it doesn't matter how long I am on or whether I log off or not!! I don't have enough time to read all the new post every time
    I long in.
    seems to have fallen between the cracks. much obliged for the bump.

LIN
  • edited August 2004
    Is this something like you want?

Description: This hack replaces the bahavior of vBulletin's "Mark Forum Read" and "Mark All Forums Read" with a system that uses a database to track when forums are set read. By eliminating the use of cookies for this feature, a user can come onto your boards, read a bit, mark forums read as they go through and logout. The next time they come into the forums, the status of which forums they've read and which they haven't, as well as new posts since the last time they read is preserved.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited August 2004
    Tmod wrote:
    Is this something like you want?

Description: This hack replaces the bahavior of vBulletin's "Mark Forum Read" and "Mark All Forums Read" with a system that uses a database to track when forums are set read. By eliminating the use of cookies for this feature, a user can come onto your boards, read a bit, mark forums read as they go through and logout. The next time they come into the forums, the status of which forums they've read and which they haven't, as well as new posts since the last time they read is preserved.

if that's the hack wording for what drowd said earlier:

then i'd have to respond with a "yes".
    unless and until i mark all forums read, i'd like to be able to view all new posts whenever i come back here.

am i understanding you correctly, Tmod?
    i think i just confused myself. . .

LIN
  • edited August 2004
    I am not familiar with vBulletin Hacks (I use phpBB) but basically if you logon and say there are 20 new posts and you read 10 of them and mark them as read then logoff. The next time you logon the remaining 10 will still show as new posts as well as any new posts that were made since you last logged off.

Did I just confuse you more? :D

Tmod
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited August 2004
    Tmod wrote:
    I am not familiar with vBulletin Hacks (I use phpBB) but basically if you logon and say there are 20 new posts and you read 10 of them and mark them as read then logoff. The next time you logon the remaining 10 will still show as new posts as well as any new posts that were made since you last logged off.

Did I just confuse you more? :D

Tmod
    Lol, maybe! :)

i don't know how to mark a post as being read; i mark forums as being read (unless i'm missing something?). other than that, i get the gist of what you're saying. :)

will this encompass the "idle" time as well?

LIN
  • edited August 2004
    My mistake as I should have said forums and not posts.

Anyway I do not use vBulletin so one of the Administrators here would be the ones to decide if they want to install the hack.

I can tell you that what you want done can be accomplished.

Tmod
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited August 2004
    Tmod wrote:
    My mistake as I should have said forums and not posts.

Anyway I do not use vBulletin so one of the Administrators here would be the ones to decide if they want to install the hack.

Tmod
    much obliged. :)

now, if someone can make it so. . . :):):)

LIN
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    aranyic!
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited August 2004
    aranyic!
    :):)

LIN
    edited September 2004
    Bump. (Not that it matters, Obviously!)
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited September 2004
    bump bump bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

much obliged :)

LIN
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited October 2004
    it happened again. this is getting frustrating. :(

LIN
    edited October 2004
    Tmod wrote:
    ...... the Administrators here would be the ones to decide if they want to install the hack.

Tmod
    aranyic!
    drowd wrote:
    /agree
    LIN wrote:
    it happened again. this is getting frustrating. :(

LIN

ARANYIC, I know this may be something you don't want to do/take care of, but DON'T just F*@K!#G ignore us. Please have the curtisy to post back and state you thoughts on this subject.

*Zuntar steps down
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2004
    Whoa, man. He's probably very busy.