120 and 80 gb seagate (mismatched) raid 0, yes or no?

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I have a 120 gb, and probably an 80 getting back from rma (crossing fingers for a 120 mistake). Would you recommend not putting these two mismatched drives in raid 0? I don't care about the lost 40gb when I am dealing with 160 to begin with for games, the os, and basic ordinary stuff. I am just debating if I would lose performance by hooking these mismatches together. If the raid card has anything to do with your decision, I would probably get an el cheapo 10-20 buck "Ultra" silicon card off eBay, which I think might not be as efficient as say the fasttraks. This is for the computer with the 1.3ghz duron and 768mb pc133 ram.

I just feel like doing this because I have a spare drive not in use now and I like the speedy (when I win) loading times for online games like Yuri's Revenge. Do you think I'd notice any performance increase? I would NOT be shuffling around large multi gb sets of data. Also, 80 or 120 gb is plenty big for that computer, I don't need any more. Pretty much I just want to take advantage of what I got because I already have got it, but if it doesn't live up to what I'd expect from a good raid 0 its just a big waste for me to even attempt it, and I know when I used raid before with 2 mismatched drives, load times were slower, especially for windows, and so I broke the raid apart and currently am not using it, but those were with maxtor drives, this is with seagate.

Comments

• TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2004
    no
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2004
    that's what my feelings tell me
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited July 2004
    Now how about this, raid 0 a 160gb seagate and a 160gb maxtor. My feelings still say no, do you?
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2004
    not optimum but will work. Some seagates have serious firm aversions to raid