driver issue? or new computer time!

edited September 2004 in Hardware
hi everyone im new to this scene and hope someone could shed some light on this problem i have with my computer.
when i purchased it about a year ago i had the wrong soundcard drivers (ac'97) were the required ones. before i installed the correct drivers everytime i booted my computer and tried to play a sound the computer would flash a blue screen for 1/2 second and reboot.
now a year on i have recently been geting this blue screen / reboot process
whilst im using it. it can stay on for days or minutes before doing this.
i dont think it is to do with the sound card drivers as they are the same once i used before. i have tried to update these drivers since getting this problem (so it isnt the new drivers) and can play sound perfectly thanks a lot in advance :)

Comments

• edited September 2004
    cmon someone must be able to help me out im desperate here guys!
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited September 2004
    your're gonig to have to give us more detail than that, such as hardware installed on your cpu.
  • edited September 2004
    SSR_06 wrote:
    your're gonig to have to give us more detail than that, such as hardware installed on your cpu.

amd athalon 2800+xp
    1 gig ddr
    120 gig westerndigital hdd (p)
    20 gig maxtor (s)
    c-media ac97' souncard
    nvidia geforce mx 440
    if u need any more info ask me and ill put it up but thats the best i can do at the minute
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited September 2004
    k, im guessing that the sound is built into ur motherboard, sometimes what needs to be done is reintall windows. if ur running xp this is very simple. i'm thinking that you are cuz of you hardware config. if u reinstall windows it'll take out any driver conflicts you were having before.
  • edited September 2004
    SSR_06 wrote:
    k, im guessing that the sound is built into ur motherboard, sometimes what needs to be done is reintall windows. if ur running xp this is very simple. i'm thinking that you are cuz of you hardware config. if u reinstall windows it'll take out any driver conflicts you were having before.

ok mate done that and it worked great at first but still getting this reboot problem thanks anyway :thumbsup:
    it looks like i am gonna go for a store brought pc instead of one from dell again
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2004
    if you're buying a pre-built PC, dell is highly recommended. You dont want to be stuck with e-machines or anything like that
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited September 2004
    NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! NOT A DELL!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WILL BURN IN THE FIREY PLASMA PITS OF HELL IF YOU BUY A DELL!!! just don't buy a dell. way over priced. hp makes good cheap cpu. thats if you go amd. p4 is just plain expensive. but i would reccomned build it yourslelf.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited September 2004
    lets break this down piece by piece shall we?
    way over priced
    how in the world can you say $450 for a complete pc with an lcd is over priced?
    hp makes good cheap cpu.
    HP doens't make CPUs, HP makes PCs which are, in fact, complete trash
    thats if you go amd. p4 is just plain expensive.
    if your point is that HP is one of the few vendors that actually sells AMD based machines, then you are correct. However, price / performance between intel and amd in the budget and midrange market is negligable if you're buying a prebuilt system. Again I'm going to point the finger at the $450 DELL
    but i would reccomned build it yourslelf.
    I agree

However, if you're buying a prebuilt system, DELL uses quality components, has excellent build quality, and fantastic support. Unfortunately, they do laden their systems with unnecessary software (like free 6-month trials of earthlink, who wants that?) but so does every other manufacturer. and with the rest, HP and Sony spring to mind, you don't get DELL support
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited September 2004
    tell you what, if you wan't a crappy celeron processor go ahead and buy them. and everyone knows that cpu is short for computer.
  • edited September 2004
    not gonna buy a dell again this one was a dell, i gave them a call and they told me that it was wear and tear issue so i couldnt claim on my warranty, as the components are not faulty.
    what do u guys think of a sony vaio are sony and good?
  • edited September 2004
    Wear and tear, heh thats class... You could always try phoning again, you might have got somebody on their way to lunch who just couldnt be bothered helping...

I wouldnt buy a Dell either, weird components and poor compatibility. Not really a good buy for the enthusiast or even a part time geek.
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited September 2004
    sony vaios are expensive but if you go media center editon its worth it. you can't buy it retail, or i havn't seen it anywhere. one of the two.