AGP 4x vs AGP 8x

edited December 2004 in Hardware
I only have an Asus P4PE which, unfortunately, is only AGP 4x. I was wondering the difference 8x makes as compared to 4x. Is it worth buying a new mobo? I've got a 9800 Pro.

Comments

• CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    I have a Soyo Dragon Ultra KT400 motherboard which for some reason I guess is not compatible with my Built By Ati Radeon 9700 Pro, whenever I ran programs that utilized any sort of 3D graphics the whole system would lock up, I spent many hours flipping things on and off at an attempt to locate the problem and by chance it turned out that when I bumped it from AGP 8x to 4x mode the locking up problem stopped and things ran fine.

It seems as if performance isn't lacking or anything, with the 8x generally stuff would run for maybe a little while and then lock up and it runs Aquamark just as fast under 4x as it would under 8x.

I wouldn't invest in a new mobo over it, I'd just stick with 4x, you're not going to see crazy performance gains if you buy an 8x mobo specifically for that reason, the bandwidth of AGP 4x is sufficient.
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    ya, not much diff in perf with 4x and 8X :(
  • edited August 2004
    Thanks. That was exactly what I needed to know.
  • edited December 2004
    I've had the same question for a long time, thanks for asking, and thanks for the answers.
  • edited December 2004
    it can relly depend on the processor you have also. I used to have p4 1.3ghz cpu and a mobo that had an agp 4x. I tried a friends radeon 9800 pro and i was gettin 25000 on aquamark. Now on my new computer i get 43000. I think thats a big difference
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    airoh69 wrote:
    it can relly depend on the processor you have also. I used to have p4 1.3ghz cpu and a mobo that had an agp 4x. I tried a friends radeon 9800 pro and i was gettin 25000 on aquamark. Now on my new computer i get 43000. I think thats a big difference

Yeah, well obviously it's a big difference from 25,000 to 43,000 but the limiting factor wasn't AGP 4x vs. 8x, I'm willing to bet that if you run Aquamark with a 9800 pro on your new system at 8x and then at 4x you'll see a negligible difference, if any different at all. I see in your sig you're running a 2.8ghz prescott, and before you were running a 1.3ghz P4?? Well obviously that's where the huge Aquamark performance gain was from.
  • edited December 2004
    It was just a marketing strategy.. but it still sounds cool ;p