VMWare and Linux

SputnikSputnik Worcester, MA
edited June 2003 in Science & Tech
anyone have any suggestions on what distro's work well with VMWare running on a WinXP host machine?

I'm going to mostly use the VM for server duty (i.e. web, mail, file, etc), so gui isn't terribly important.

any suggestions welcome!

also, if you know what NIC module should be used in the VM, let me know, i was have a whole mess of trouble earlier when trying to install debian from a net install image

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    If you're going to do that, you might want to try Cygwin instead of a distro through VMWare.

As for which distro will work, just about any of them.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    VMWare rocks. I've gotten it to work with Mandrake and Red Hat. It should with any distro you want to play with. Conectix is what Microsoft uses for its shows, but it's super slow on my computer.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    I have VMWare on my linux workstation. So far, I havent seen a distro that doesn't work. Debian is something I will keep in mind, but not one listed in my toolchest of resources. I mostly use it for developing new server designs and builds based off redhat packages. We do alot of custom compiles across multiple versions, and VMWare has been amazing. It alows me to design and test new server platforms and packages before ever hitting a live machine. Two thumbs up :)