clean the dye

ramdexramdex Tucson
edited February 2005 in Hardware
whats the best way to clean the dye of a cpu

Comments

• edited November 2004
    I've always used nail varnish remover, but most people seem to recommend isopropyl alcohol.

Some people have started selling branded cleaning fluids too, I know Akasa do one.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    rubbing alcohol and paper towels :) Cheap and effective
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    rubbing alcohol is the only effective / save way
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited November 2004
    Yeah that what I thought, just double checking
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited November 2004
    Ok so how clean is the cpu susposed to get. I used rubbing alcohol and whiped the die but it doesnt look totaly, almost like burnt residue. Am I susposed to get it all off so it looks perfect? How clean do you guys always try to get it when you do this and what is good enough.

I am removing old thermal patch from the dye because the fan broke on the heat sink I bought a new one and I am going to use aritic silver this time around.
  • edited November 2004
    isopropyl alcohol is what most suggest, the higher percent the better

I would assume pretty clean. Mine didnt really look that bad after I cleaned mine off.
  • SSR_06SSR_06 Iowa
    edited November 2004
    last time i cleaned mine off i made it look just like new. i used regular rubbing alcohol.
  • edited January 2005
    If you're really worried about the "burn" marks...take a dremel tool with a polishing wheel soaked in 90% isopropyl alcohol. Don't set it on insano speed...
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    ITMonkey99 wrote:
    If you're really worried about the "burn" marks...take a dremel tool with a polishing wheel soaked in 90% isopropyl alcohol. Don't set it on insano speed...

Yikes. That could be dangerous. I'd be EXTREMELY careful if you decided to do that.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Not to mention that burned residue around the edge of the cpu is supposed to be there. Thats from the factory. The very top surface on the cpu should be clean. Also Isopropyl Alcohol is fine to use.
    I'd leave the dremel tool in the box on this one......
  • edited January 2005
    Would be fine for cleaning up a heatsink though, I bet you would get quite a nice finish.
  • CammanCamman NEW! England Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    i use rubbing alcohol, paper towels, and a stiff (credit) card type thing to carefully scrape the surface clean. I would think you might be able to use a razor as you would on glass to very carefully remove anything that you couldnt scrape off with a credit card, altho, you have to be very careful about it and only scrape sparingly. But, I take no responsibility if you jab a razor blade through your processor core.... :D
  • edited February 2005
    i use rubbing alcohol
  • imported_oldtimerimported_oldtimer Mississauga,ON
    edited February 2005
    I do nothing,what the hell do you do this for ?
    Lets talk problems and let women do their nails.
    Mine works.
    Real Cool and clean.$2 a can
    For a cheap Blow Job.
    :thumbsup:
  • ShockjockShockjock Dekalb, Illinois
    edited February 2005
    I use tape head cleaner. Seems to do a better job when it comes to getting off thermal patch material.