64-Bit Worth it?

TurboPenguinTurboPenguin Orangevale, CA
edited September 2005 in Science & Tech
What are your thoughts on WinXP 64 Bit? Good Bad Ugly? I heard some things that they were having problems with drivers and such.... Wonder how my 6800 SLi Will do.... Hrmmm

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2005
    Personally I wouldn't bother yet. Most software doesn't take advantage of the performance increase and so you are paying for no real gains. Plus there are some incompatibility issues with it.
  • TurboPenguinTurboPenguin Orangevale, CA
    edited August 2005
    I guess the question is, are there any draw back to 64?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2005
    No draw backs to the CPU's other then paying a little more then what you are functionally getting out of it. But there are a few drawbacks in switching from regular XP to XP64. This becomes even more true if you are buying it and already have regular XP.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    My Athlon64 3200+ was a nice step up from my AXP 1800+ (@ 2200+) but I wouldn't touch Windows XP 64 yet though, most drivers are beta and there are still lots of things without drivers at all.
  • TurboPenguinTurboPenguin Orangevale, CA
    edited August 2005
    Well Im not going to be running anything crazy, but I am definatly going to try an "evaulation" before i pay for it. I hope that Creative and nVidia have everything worked out. I mean other then LAN thats about all I need. Ehh we will have to see. Ill report, the rig gets in later today...
  • edited August 2005
    You could always go for a dual boot while things sort themselves out...
  • edited September 2005
    64-bit....YAY!!!!! :horn: :horn: :horn: :horn:

waiting...BOO!!!!! :yell1: :yell1: :yell1: :yell1: