Xbox modding help

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited January 2007 in Gaming
Well, I am just too interested in modding an xbox and I think I will actually buy an Xbox soon. Can anyone slap some guides into this thread or point me to some good guides, links, stores, etcetera about this?

I am interested in:
1. mod chips and what they allow me to do
2. installing a huge hard drive (and do I need a mod chip to do this?)
3. connecting to a network and file transfer/ video playback/ etc.
4. anything else you can force me to absorb into my xbox crazed mind

Comments

• citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    executer 3 ximian xbox chip is all u need man,

if you dont feel like soldering it on urself, im sure theres someone in ur area that can put it on for ya.

once that chip is in, ur set! pop in a drive and download a SLAYER dvd from teh net, it will do the whole thing for ya.

i got my xbox at home as a gaming rig, fileserver, media center.

its just awesome!
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2005
    The xenium ICE modchip has become my favorite over the X3 lately. The install is easier and they offer a solderless version that just snaps in. Though I believe on the v6 modchips there is still 1 wire you need to solder. Plus it comes pre-flashed so that saves you a step over the x3.

Once that's done swap the harddrives, boot up with a slayer disk and it does the rest. Then you hook up to your network update xbmc and your done.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited December 2005
    Firstly, is slayer like the os of the xbox? Anything/where I should look for?

Secondly, are solderless chips okay? I've read they don't always work. As for soldering chips, how much soldering is involved, and how small/hard is it. I've soldered enough things before so I'm not worried about soldering myself, but I don't know if it is so small that you almost need a machine for it or is it easy enough if I'm careful?

Thirdly, does everyone here have different chips? I have no idea which one I would want/need. Are the expensive ones just about the same as the cheaper ones? What about flashing them, do I need to do this or not, or does it depend on the chip. Flashing is my weak point, I have flashed the bios in my motherboard, but that is about it ever.

Fourthly, do you update the xbmc from your computer, and what would I do here?

~~~I'm a noob at this~~~obviously~~~
    edited December 2005
    Okay, I have a v1.6 xbox. I think I am getting an Xecutor chip. I am figuring on just going for the xecutor 3 over the 2nd version. Do I need anything else hardware wise? What is this "LPC rebuild" thing I hear about for v1.6? Just buy the chip and nothing else?
    edited December 2005
    Ahhh noobs, god bless each and everyone :)

Slayer is a boot disk that you get off of torrent sights. It'll transfer all the files you need and format an unformated hdd to the same standard that the xbox requires. If you aren't upgrading the harddrive you don't need slayer.

As for mod chips I have an Xecuter 2.6 a few friends have 3's and another friend has the Xenium Ice. The X3's are better then the 2.6 chips, but I still like the Xenium Ice chips over the X3's, the install and the interface are more friendly.

As for the difference between the high end and low end chips. The high end chips ofer more functions plain as that. Cheaper chips don't always support large harddrives, some won't play pal, most are limited in the xbox boot options etc... Just get a good chip for the cost of $20 it's not worth playing around.

The soldering is about 6-8 wires depending on the chip, plus the pin header. The pin header soldering is pretty easy it's the 6 other wires where you are soldering onto a mother board. Most solder points are extremely small and you will probably need a magnifying glass. I would also suggest you get as low a watage soldering iron as you can get and a super fine tip. It's serious precision stuff. Not like repairing larger electronics like VCR's, RC cars etc...

The solderless boards work fine. They can be a little tricky getting into place but once they are there they have no problems. If you are planning on moving your xbox around alot though I wouldn't suggest getting a solderless one as they can be knocked out of position if it gets bumped around.

Flashing the bios is pretty easy - but read the instructions on the X3 sight on how to do it. The basics are though downlad the flash and the bank software from your favorite source and burn it onto a cd. Then boot up the xbox with the mod chip on and it'll look for the flash image on the cd. It reads it flashes and you are good to go.

Keep in mind not all chips need to be flashed the Ice for example doesn't and depending on where you get the X3 from it doesn't either. The reason some need to be flashed though is so they will boot xbox code. It's this xbox code that has legality issues so not all mod chips come with it.

Some chips can be flashed over the network also. It's just a mater of reading the instructions for the chip.
    edited December 2005
    You have successfully guided my soul back on track Kryyst!

However, one piece remains to be missing... Do you have any preferences or knowledge I should know about on specific websites? Are they all pretty much the same?
  • edited December 2005
    What about softmodding, what can be done on a random weekend without having to send money off to funky websites?
    edited December 2005
    yagga wrote:
    You have successfully guided my soul back on track Kryyst!

However, one piece remains to be missing... Do you have any preferences or knowledge I should know about on specific websites? Are they all pretty much the same?

www.xbox-sceene.com is probably the best for mod-chip info they are fairly extensive and detailed. However if you go with any of the big chips each one has a site that gives specific instructions to follow.

as for getting the slayer disks pick your favorite torrent site.
    edited December 2005
    rapture wrote:
    What about softmodding, what can be done on a random weekend without having to send money off to funky websites?

Softmoding only gets you so far it allows you to circumvent somethings but you really need the mod chip if you are going to do it correctly.
    edited December 2005
    I havn't used torrent much since the few semi big sites went down after suprnova went. Care to pm me a list of all the good ones left that you like? (or post if no one cares)
    edited December 2005
    torrentspy
    edited December 2005
    does anyone have the bios (s) that they could upload to me through some sort of method? I can't seem to find what I need.

I guess i mean dashboard?
    edited December 2005
    yagga wrote:
    does anyone have the bios (s) that they could upload to me through some sort of method? I can't seem to find what I need.

I guess i mean dashboard?

If you mean the slayer thing it's huge - like 600 mbs....
    edited December 2005
    Awesome!
  • edited January 2007
    ok IM new Here , but am an advanced Network Engineer and IT Tech . I have been reading your forums and your a very intelligent individual , who no doubt is at least A+ Certified or should be. I was wondering if anyone had attempted to make an x.iso image of a working Soft- Modded Hdd - Complete with an Updated Kernal , and dashboard . I assume one could use Ghost on a standard pc ... or Acronis True Image etc.. once this is done it should be possible to emulate the original Xbox state to use live with less lag! ok im getting ahead of myself .. of course one would have to be careful of Xbox Versions , which could entail hardware changes and or drivers . what I mean by this , is that there would have to be a number of images , corresponding to different Hardware Configurations. PLease Let me know whats up ... Bombing me is welcome .. IM a scientist man may learn more from whats not than what is .. once one grasps what is not then one may beginn to understand what is!
    edited January 2007
    That's actually an interesting idea. I've soft modded xbox's before but never tried ghosting a hard drive. As for ghosting that drive never tried it because of a few issues.

First the entire point of soft modding an xbox is so that you don't have to tamper with the case at all, to ghost a drive you have to actually remove it from an xbox so that defeats that purpose.

Next there is the live issue. If you soft mod an xbox and then connect to live it updates the xbox and gets rid of your soft mod so you are back to a regular xbox again. The two don't play well together.

So ultimately what I'm saying is it's an interesting idea but it's self defeating. It's much easier to just soft mod an xbox the normal way then it would be to soft mod an xbox then crack it open pull the drive and create your ghost image (if that's even possible). Then if you want to put that image onto another xbox you'd have to crack that xbox open and ghost the image etc..etc...etc...

If you want to mod an xbox and do it correctly the only real way to do it is with a mod chip.

Oh and one final thing you can't reduce the lag on xbox live because you can't control that. The lag on xbox live is entirely coming from MS live servers.