Picked up an AMI MegaPlex (quad Xeons) (56k warning)

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited December 2005 in Hardware
Found one at the surplus store last weekend. Spent the rest of the weekend cleaning my room to make room for it, went and bought it today. Got the boards, 28 sticks of RAM (~1.7GB), 4 450MHz P2 Xeons, 4 VRMs, 1 SCSI drive and 2 hotswap PSes for $50, and it works perfectly :)

Took a bunch of pics... I'm under the impression that this board is rather rare, as I've never seen one in person or for sale on ebay or anywhere else, and I thought you guys might be interested in seeing this thing.

Pic 1 is the computer with my two highly qualified assistant technicians. They hung around after hours to give me a hand disassembling it for the pics ;)
pc1218441wz.th.jpg

Pic 2 is the top of the case:
pc1218402uq.th.jpg

(more posts to come... stupid 4 pics/post limit)

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2005
    Pics 3, 4, and 5 are of the CPU board and the memory riser. The board has a total of 32 memory slots and supports 8GB of RAM:
    pc1218485fi.th.jpg
    pc1218579ti.th.jpg
    pc1218562yl.th.jpg

Pic 6 is of a board that's mounted in the bottom of the case under the CPU board. No idea what it's connected to or what it does. If anyone has any ideas I'd be interested in hearing them.
    pc1218585br.th.jpg
    edited December 2005
    Pic 7 is of the back of the case with the empty hotswap PS enclosure removed:
    pc1218639qy.th.jpg

Pic 8 is of one of the techs thoroughly examining the aforementioned enclosure for defects:
    pc1218650ur.th.jpg

Pics 9 and 10 are of the inside of one of the enclosures; it has 2 300w power supplies and a circuit board of some kind that presumably serves to balance the load between the two:
    pc1218685ui.th.jpg
    pc1218692ff.th.jpg
    edited December 2005
    Pic 11 is of the inside of the side of the case with the power supplies and the hotswap drive cages in it... that access panel is the only easy access to that side of the case. i haven't tried to disassemble the case further yet:
    pc1218796zt.th.jpg

Pic 12 is of the front of the case with the hotswap cages removed:
    pc1218814yf.th.jpg

And Pic 13 is of the machine in the downstairs computer room, running and in the BIOS. The case next to it is an Antec SX-635 midtower. That should give you an idea of how big the AMI case is (it's 27x27x17")
    megaplex11dp.th.jpg
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    veewwwyy veeewwwy nice!!! :)

ive always been a fan of 0ld sk00l rigs
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2005
    Nice find for $50.
    edited December 2005
    tnx. i'm leaving it downstairs for now. gonna see how long it can sit in the living room before my mother pitches a fit. :D