Why can i not burn anything

budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Ok...I am trying to think if i have used this thing since i put it in and i dont believe i have....so makes me think I am just having an idiot moment or the drive is busted....

WHy cant i burn any data to a disk?

TIA...

PS...i will work through one step at a time....

Comments

• budhisetiawanbudhisetiawan Mars Hill, NC Member
    edited January 2006
    oops...forgot step one...pardon me....need to search...lol...brb...
    edited January 2006
    ok...did the search and nothing seems to pop up....

Relavent that is...

TIA

Ok...something new happened...a BSOD...Check exception...does that help?
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Please start at the beginning and give us more to work on.

Have you checked that the cables are attached correctly?

Do you have the correct drivers installed?

What software are you using?

When are you getting the issues?

And do you have the flame turned up high enough?......... um......never mind that one..........JK:confused:
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2006
    If you installed your burner and software and then upgraded to XP service pack 2 that could be the reason. SP2 screwed up a lot of burning software and you'll need to uninstall what you have and re-install new versions.
  • edited January 2006
    what brand name is the burner?? i had a burner that wouldn`t burn until i upgraded the firmware. Does windows identifies it as a burner or as a standard cd-rom drive. Does it read cds normally???
    edited January 2006
    Ok...sorry...thought a HD was going to go out on me....so wife was harrassing me to get the pics off and on a CD....anyway...

Lets go w/ the Questions...

Zun:

-Its SATA and yes...they are secure...

-I have checked plextors site and it says nothing bout the SATA drives and drivers...kinda confusing...

-EZCD 6

-I know this drive worked before but i remeber something funny going on w/ the WXP writer and D2D (Drag-t0-disk)....but dont remember and dont rember this stuff happening...

It is saying all my disks are Read only....Then when i put a blank one in it says 0 free, 0 usage...thought format....well bammmm...BSOD....

Kryst:

-Not the case...but thx

Air:

My sig. is current ...the specs are there...as far as the burner...it is showing it to be what it is...but it is showing all my disks as CDROMs....
    edited January 2006
    Not 100% sure which burner you have but it looks like there is a firmware update there for ya. I would try that to see if it resolves your problem.

http://www.plextor.com/english/support/support_downloads.html
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    we tried that last night. no go

im going to take over his pc tonight and see if we can fix it
    edited January 2006
    SWEET!! please keep us informed.
    edited January 2006
    Cit:

I had to work late...off all weekend though...so IM me....
    edited January 2006
    Ok...Me and Cit havent been able to get together again....

Any one got some ideas...Kryst...Zun?
    edited January 2006
    It sounds like a software/driver issue. However we should confirm that.

You can spot test your hardware by booting up off of a mephis (or knoppix) linux cd and see if you can burn that way.

Now if you don't have one and your burner isn't working your going to need to get a copy off a friend. But this is a very handy item to have a round for issolating hardware vs driver issues.
  • edited January 2006
    Why don`t you just try the burner on a diff PC to see if it works
    edited January 2006
    Kryst:

i dont have one of those cds....hmmm...got a stamp though if someone else does?....lol

Air:

I dont have another i can tinker with ....but ....hmmm....have to ask around...
  • edited January 2006
    If you have an external usb HD, try to remove the HD and see if you can put the cd-rom inside. Then try to work the cd-rom with the usb.
    edited January 2006
    Try different software like Nero Ultra.
    edited January 2006
    Air:

Dont have a USB HD and the DVDRW is internal...

Kryst...Dont have another one....but is the WinXP 1 and the EZ another?
  • edited January 2006
    In "My Computer" how exactly does it shows the dvdrw. When you insert a dvd inside is it read normally??
    Try and see. there might be some drivers to install due because it is a sata driver.
    WHat is the model of the burner. In your sig you say it is a plextor. Wich plextor exactly???
    Have you try contacting with plextor and saying your problem???
    edited January 2006
    Air:

Dont have a USB HD and the DVDRW is internal...

Kryst...Dont have another one....but is the WinXP 1 and the EZ another?

You can take an internal drive and put it in an external case, that's what he was suggesting.

Most burning, regardless of software, is controlled by the same .dll's. So what can happen is those .dll's get corrupted and nothing will work. So by installing a different program it will fix that problem. The .dll's that control the burning are seperate from the reading. So it's entirely possible that you can loose access to burning but still be able to read disks.
    edited January 2006
    Air:

its the PX-712SA....however...from what i can tell it is showing up as a 712A....thats weird...will try the dvd thing...brb
    edited January 2006
    Air:

-Yep...DVD runs fine...
    -I sent them an email this morn...will see what they say....

Kryst:

So would uninstalling and then reinstalling EZ fix the .dll thing?
    edited January 2006
    I got an email back from them...surprised the heck out of me ....on a Sunday...anyway...have to do a diagnostic on it and going to wait till morn to do it....will keep posted....
    edited January 2006
    Air:

-Yep...DVD runs fine...
    -I sent them an email this morn...will see what they say....

Kryst:

So would uninstalling and then reinstalling EZ fix the .dll thing?

Possibly, really depends on how good EZ's uninstall software is. Usually that trick works better when you install a different program. The problem of re-installing the same program is that the uninstall doesn't always clear away all the files causing the problem or clean the reg entries. So when you re-install the same program it just goes back to the same behavior that it was exhibiting before.
    edited January 2006
    Well after about 6-8 emails back and forth they told me to call them...Plextor that is...once on the phone he just said here is your RMA and give us a week...no problems...easy as pie...

Problem is I feel so unforfilled...lol...I want to know what the problem is...lol...oh well I guess i will just have to be happy w/ a new drive...lol...hope it works...will keep posted...thx for all the help...
  • citrixmetacitrixmeta Montreal, Quebec Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    well, it happens to everyone i guess.

i mean, plextor is not a crappy company, they do Solid product. but i guess shit happens :S
  • edited January 2006
    The thing is though, when i did my search on the net, a lo t of people had problems with that burner.
    edited January 2006
    I have ready a lot of good things bout their support so we will c when i get the replacement...
  • edited January 2006
    I love your site, please see www.imaspammerzzzzzzzzz.com then contact imaspammerzzzzzzz@yahoo.com we can give you a fast signup and mail server for Rx biz
    edited January 2006
    what the heck is that? Is that some kind of advertisement on my post....lol...is that allowed here....lol...

Maybe its common and i havent noticed...oh well...still waiting on the replacement....should be here sometime this week but I'm gonna be in GA all week....so get to it next wknd...
    edited January 2006
    what the heck is that? Is that some kind of advertisement on my post....lol...is that allowed here....lol...

Maybe its common and i havent noticed...oh well...still waiting on the replacement....should be here sometime this week but I'm gonna be in GA all week....so get to it next wknd...

such spam is common but normally they just post it in their own thread entitled Free ipod or some other crap give away.