PC reboot loop

IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Hardware
G'day all,

Ideas would be appreciated.

Night before last my pc was shutdown normally. Yesterday went to start it and came up with the "sorry for the inconvenience" screen, with the choice of boot options. If I continue, the screen disappears, and a moment later it's going through POST again, and returns to the "Sorry" screen. Try safe mode and it starts scrolling through the files. The last one seen is mup.dll (I think it was dll, definately mup, tho). Then it reboots. No joy with last good config.

I've removed all peripherals, pulled and swapped ram. PS is new. The hdd is working at least to the point that I can feel it accessing files. I have it out and plan on doing chkdsk in another machine along with various scans for any hidy things. It's a new (3 weeks) rebuild of Xp... really don't want to go through all that again so soon! :rolleyes2

Any thoughts?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Hook it up to an external adapter, replace mup.sys from a known-working computer and hope for the best. Barring that, it's time for a repair install and/or reformat.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Hook it up to an external adapter, replace mup.sys from a known-working computer and hope for the best. Barring that, it's time for a repair install and/or reformat.

Thanks Thrax, I'll give it a go. Suppose I'll have to do a diagnostic on the drive too, see if it's doing a dodgy on me... One good thing tho, the drive is accessable and I can get all my data.

Question, can I copy and paste my email in 2003? Or is it a lost cause without exporting it? Anyone?
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2007
    Do you use Outlook 2003 for your e-mails? I know there is a way to copy over all the folders from Outlook Express without being in the program to export them. I'm sure there is a way also for Outlook, if that is what you are using. You will probably have to locate where the .pst file is stored and that should contain all the e-mails you need.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited June 2007
    You could run a repair install, then put all of your service pack/updates back in.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Thanks for the inputs. I ended up going for a complete scrub and wash. Read somewhere it my be bios related, and sure enough found an update. Unfortunately, I needed the pc running to put the flash on a floppy... Anyway, it was probably the quickest route. I did think of doing a repair install, Zero, but I've read that's an iffy option at best. If it didn't work, I wasted that much time...

Thanks again.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I have just had the same problem with a computer that I changed the DVD Writer in and added RAM. Took the new hardware out but still the same problem. Googling mup.sys seems to come up with results that it is a common point at which Windows restarts when booting, and people seem to have their own way of fixing it.

One solution I have seen many people claim works is to turn on some kind of power management option in the bios. As it happens that is set to off on the machine I'm having problems with, so my first port of call before a format will be to turn that on.

~Cyrix