Computer won't post.

Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
edited June 2007 in Hardware
System components:
mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (I use all the onbord components i.e. sound)
: Fsb was overclocked to 1600MHz
cpu: Intel core2 E6300 (oc'ed to 2800MHz)
psu: Enermax Liberty 500W
Memory: xtreamteam DDR2 6400 (800Mhz) 2GB
Vid Card: Sapphire Radeon X1900XT 256MB PCI Express
Hard Drives: WD Raptor 74GB (main Drive)
: Seagate sata 320GB
Dual Boot of WinXPpro and WinVista Ultimate both 32 bit
Everything was humming along just fine for about 4 months before this unpleasentness.

Problem:
Over the last week or so this computer has been acting up. When in either o/s, the ststem was unable to restart through the o/s' gui's. Both the standby and shutdown buttons worked though. If you hit restart though it would log you out and give you the shutting down screen then just a blank screen with no restart of the computer.

Here is where is gets bad. The computer will not post at all anymore. I have disassembled and reassembled the computer 4 times now (using just the vid card as an add on) and same result: no post. I had recently tested the ram with memtest and it passed with out any problems. I also changed the ram locations to no avail. I have ruled out all the hardware except for the motherboard, the cpu, and the vid card as I have no other pci-e equipment to test with.

The vid card seem to be sending out a signal as my lcd monitor recognizes that it is plugged in. Unfortunatley all it displays is a nice black screen.

I bought the components online and before I start thinking about RMA I would like to narrow it down before I get charged for non-fault components. I think the place charges 30 bucks for non-defective RMA's plus shipping.

So, if any one has a suggestion to what is actually causing the no post please let me know because I'm stumped.

Thanks,
BK
:confused:

Comments

• vip211vip211 KSA
    edited June 2007
    i wiil ask you

did you have proplem with only software or just hardware??

is your windows is good?

is there any virus
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited June 2007
    Any post beeps at all?
    Have you tried to reset the CMOS and back off the OC? set everything back to the basics.
    Does your board have any pci slots you could try an old vid card in?
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited June 2007
    Yeah I had absolutely no problems with any software on my machine and i was running spywareblaster, spybot search and destroy, ad-aware se and NOD32 with no problems ever found and both o/s's are legit versions. CMOS has been cleared as well. Unfortunately I dont have a pci graphics card only an old agp one that won't work with this motherboard.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited June 2007
    Ok, open the case up and power it on. Does the fan for the processor spin up, or does is try to come on, then just drop?
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, my x1900xt's fan goes to maximum and stays there; cpu fan turns on and runs (using a Noctua NH-U12F heatsink and 120mm fan).I also have another fan plugged into the board and it powers on just fine.
    edited June 2007
    Well, Could be the board, or the bios.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    Could also be your PSU isn't delivering enough power. Have you tried booting it up with nothing but the motherboard, cpu and ram to see if it starts beeping errors at you? Then add the video card, then hdd's then extra fans etc...
    edited June 2007
    I'd think he would have to be sigifigantly under the required current for that to happen... Watt wise, the PSU would not deliver power if the draw was too high. He'd get the hiccup fans.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited June 2007
    I agree, but in the realm of anythings possible - it's possible. I've had dying PSU's do weird things similar to that where it'll power up just enough to spin the fans and nothing else.
    edited June 2007
    kryyst wrote:
    Could also be your PSU isn't delivering enough power. Have you tried booting it up with nothing but the motherboard, cpu and ram to see if it starts beeping errors at you? Then add the video card, then hdd's then extra fans etc...

Ok did what you recommended. Still the same situation. When I booted up with the mobo, cpu, and ram, the cpu fan turned on and there were no beeps from the mobo.
    Then I added the vid card to the setup and turned it on with out the extra power connector plugged into the vid card. When turned on the cpu fan and vid card fan started and there was still no display. (I thought the vid card would post a screen message saying to put in the extra power connector as my 9800pro does this but got nothing). So i plugged in the extra connector and started it up again to no avail. No post at all.

Any suggestions? By the way thanks for the support.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    If you can't POST or get beeps, you're stuck at motherboard. Try to reset the BIOS and see if that changes anything. You can usually do this by removing the system board battery for a few minutes and/or possibly a jumper setting- check the manual.
    edited June 2007
    Here's the update.

Once again thanks for all the help. I finally assumed that it was the motherboard. Turns out you were right Qeldroma. I ended up buying a ga-p35c-ds3r and everything is just fine. So I guess I'll see if I can RMA the dead board.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Turn off the OC first or you're done...