Surface

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA
edited June 2007 in The Pub
Woke up early this fine B day morning to view this in my email.

www.microsoft.com/surface

Now that is just too cool

Comments

• tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2007
    Not sure what to think about it.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI
    edited June 2007
    multi-touch
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina
    edited June 2007
    Multi something;D
  • edited June 2007
    once again microsoft is first.......wait a second...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LByAFrcOwJk

Its an interesting technology and i imagine useful if you are doing designing etc..but i can't think what else really. Unless of course i'm the only person who doesn't sit at home endlessly re-sizing photos they own...
    edited June 2007
    -animal- wrote:
    once again microsoft is first.......wait a second...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LByAFrcOwJk

Its an interesting technology and i imagine useful if you are doing designing etc..but i can't think what else really. Unless of course i'm the only person who doesn't sit at home endlessly re-sizing photos they own...

That Jeffery Han guy is actually working with microsoft.
  • RWBRWB
    edited June 2007
    I think it would be an awesome idea for restaurants and such... I hate having to ask the waitress/waiter to split the bill so many ways. Half the time they forget and it makes it that much more painful. I know it'll be easier on them as well during those busy hours, all they'll need to do is pass out the food... and hell these devices can also be used to send a message to the waitress saying GIMME MORE TEA! Dunno how many times I ate something I didn't like or maybe was too hot and I had no drink left because the waiter didn't come around... ever. Not to mention ordering and everything can be done, and you can't blame the waiter for getting the order wrong if you put it in yourself. Unless they just gave you the wrong stuff.

But that's a restaurant POV, it can be made useful in MANY areas.... the problem being? How expensive is it gonna be? I think this device will make it big time if they price it right... if too much then it will simply be "ahead of it's time".
    edited June 2007
    i think i seen a video somewhere that said about 5000 to 10000 for around the end of this year.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska
    edited June 2007
    When more software is written for it, it has many uses:

publishing/page layouts
    mini art shows
    electronic layouts of schematics, charts
    collaborative design
    conference sessions

This has some huge possibilities.

I keep several monitors going at home, all with slideshows of photograph collections. I would love to have a coffee table that does the same thing.
  • edited June 2007
    didn't know he was working for microsoft, thought he had just done some private research... Yeah it would be cool and potentially useful for design etc...but i personally can't imagine in my every day life needing or wanting one..just seems a bit of a gimmick.. In a years time i could be eating my words though
  • jaredjared College Station, TX
    edited June 2007
    leishi85 wrote:
    i think i seen a video somewhere that said about 5000 to 10000 for around the end of this year.

At the D Conference last week Bill said it would be around 10 grand. He also said HP already has something out that is simpler but that it was "really high end".

I would recommend watching the Jobs/Gates interview. Its great stuff. http://www.socialham.com/2007/05/31/video-of-steve-jobs-and-bill-gates-at-d-conference/

As others have said. If restaurants could actually start implementing stuff like this it would be awesome. The example they showed, dividing out the bill and setting a tip, was brilliant usage for such a machine.

cheers
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska
    edited June 2007
    Surface it appears that it would be ideal for presentations and briefings with small groups. Instead of having to find a larger room with a screen, projector, and laptop, you just use the conference room/meeting room.
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited June 2007
    I saw that a few days ago, I think that would absolutely amazing. If they can work the bugs out I am sure they will sell like hot cakes
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited June 2007
    I think that it would make graphic art and publication so much easier. maybe. It would have to be implemented really well. I can definitely see some uses for it though.
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited June 2007
    Yes, I saw this video too. Among the other things already mentioned, you can imagine the impact it will have in the medical field.