Going Beeping Mad!

IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
edited June 2007 in Folding@Home
Hi all, I've got a problem here...

I've downloaded the GUI version and uninstalled it and now have the minimal build in place. I've got the same problem with both.
What's happening is my mouse is freezing all over the place, and in fact froze solid last night so I had to shut down. Whatever page I'm on will jump up and down (scroll) and when it freezes, I get a beep from the pc speaker. It happens in IE and Outlook (haven't tried others).
I'm on a P4 2.4 with 1 gb ram.

Any ideas before I turf the program? (I won't, there's gotta be a simple answer...)

Cheers,

Comments

• OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited June 2007
    I highly doubt that FAH is directly causing this issue- but you might try the mouse driver (uninstall/reinstall- possibly go to the manufacturer for theirs). Have you also possibly tried another mouse?

Also try this Reference
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Well, tried another mouse, then I thought I'd re-install the mouse driver... now if you refer to my thread in General Hardware...

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56657

Gotta be an instability in the system somewhere. Oh well, I guess I'll find it after my NEXT install...
    2069.jpg
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Yeah... must be an OS problem. Considering the number of systems we have running for Team #93, we've experienced just about everything. A mouse problem is not one of them.

Try a full memtest and maybe a hard drive testing... rule those out and then try data backup and re-install.

W'll help you if you need it.... :thumbsup:
    edited June 2007
    New ram, although that doesn't preclude a dodgy stick. Kinda suspecting the HDD, although Seatools didn't pick up on anything. Can't test anything anyway at the moment since it won't boot. I have a big backup drive. I guess I'll throw a partition onto that and see what happens....
    Question if anyone knows, if I partition my backup drive with the install disk, what does it do with the data already on there. There's not a lot of data, but does Windows know enough to shove it all to one end before partitioning?

The saga will continue...
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited June 2007
    IndigoRed wrote:
    , if I partition my backup drive with the install disk, what does it do with the data already on there.

??? I think to replace a partition, Windows install must first delete the old partition and does not save the data. But you shouldn't have to do that. Windows should just give it a drive letter.
    edited June 2007
    Ok, found the problem (I hope). I found one of the ram sticks is dodgy. Brand new too! Did Memtest86 and all sorts of errors popped up. Removed one - nothing. Swapped to the other - nothing. Both? Errors galore (matching sticks). So I went the long haul. Did 5 passes on each. Sure enough, one stick eventually glitched. Yay me! Now back to the dealer... :grumble::rant: