blocked sites

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited June 2007 in The Pub
I'm on break at work right now and I need to access my email, but the proxy server, or whatever it is, blocks gmail. I work for the school district here doing maintenance work, pretty much a janitor. Anyway I'd appreciate it if you guys could help me out because I really need to access my email because I think i could have been scammed on ebay, and I'm waiting for a response by the seller. I payed through paypal for $550 and I think someone may have hacked the sellers ebay account and changed their paypal email to a different one. So if this really did happen, I would like to be able to contact paypal ASAP to try and cancel it. I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me find a way to access gmail from here while I'm on my break. I hope you guys understand, I've been goin crazy all morning over this.

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2007
    http://proxify.com/

There are lots of sites like the above. Plug your desired destination address into the box, check off your options, and off you go. If you have a particularly gung-ho server admin who reviews logs, they may pick up on this eventually and block it, or note where it was accessed from and come ask you questions, Many companies have language in their internet use policy that state that you shall not use such sites to get around the firewall, so use at your own risk.

Dexter...
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited June 2007
    proxify is already blocked for me
    edited June 2007
    Here are a whole schwack of suggestions for you. Numbers 2 and 5 are kind of slick ways of getting around firewall blocks.

Note again that any of these may be in contravention of your employer's policies and could get you fired.

Dexter...
    edited June 2007
    hah even that site is blocked.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell
    edited June 2007
    Wow, strong administration.
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited June 2007
    try http://foolclan.com/cgi-bin/nph-proxy.cgi

its my personal proxy on my website
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom
    edited June 2007
    SSH tunnel
    (You will need a ssh server at home or a linksys wrt54G V4 or older running thirdparty firmware)

You also might need to use a different dns server as well if the admin is compident he has setup a dns blacklist (Some call it dns blackhole) on any site he doesn't want you accessing.

I recommend 4.2.2.2 for dns (Verisons)

Back when I was in highschool I use to just reconfigure netscape to use my ssh tunnel (Set the proxy to 127.0.0.1 after you configure putty). (We didn't have enough permissions to change the dns server.. but it wasn't needed anyways).. the admin at my highschool didn't even know how to set ntfs premissions.
    edited June 2007
    lilbro, that site wont load. I'm pretty sure they have it set up so when it detects something using a proxy the site wont even load.
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited June 2007
    hrm, I copied the link from the browser and pasted it.. it still works fine for me...

I dunno
    edited June 2007
    tmh88 wrote:
    hah even that site is blocked.

Ok, from your home PC, read the link above. Look at the suggestions about using the Google Cache to load proxy servers, and look at the suggestion for using the Circumventor software to set up your own proxy server on your home PC, which you would then access via your home IP address.

KD
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom
    edited June 2007
    Dexter wrote:
    set up your own proxy server on your home PC, which you would then access via your home IP address.

Thats basically what a ssh tunnel is .. but all of your tcp traffic can go through not just http.

Anyone interested in ssh tunnels you can find tons of information with Google .

Basically you need a openssh server and a ssh client such as putty.