!!~OFFICAL~!! Team Name Change

QCHQCH Ancient GuruChicago Area - USA Icrontian
edited July 2007 in Folding@Home
OK... the straw poll Keebler set up a few weeks ago basically gave us two real options. As the Team Committee, we will do what you, the members, vote upon. There are only two options...
  • Keep the team name "Team Short-Media".
  • Change the team name to "Team Icrontic".
That's it.... I'll leave the poll up until July 7th (10 days). Please think about this carefully...

EDITED ==> Messed up order of the wording. Sorry.

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    We stand as one.

Team Icrontic.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I'm confused, Q. Are we talking here about merging the teams? Putting Team Icrontic and Team Short Media together? I don't want to vote on a decision affecting Team Icrontic, because I'm part of Team Short Media. Clarify please?

Also, if we are talking merger, what is the point count going to do? Are points lost or merged?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    The team name "Short-Media" is the only thing that will change if the votes poll to change it to "Team Icrontic". Points won't move, team number won't change etc... also there is no merger, it is just a name change.

I voted: Team Icrontic
    edited June 2007
    So, we could have 2 teams, same name, different team number?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited June 2007
    Team 93.

Either name is good as long as I don't have to change my team number.

I voted short-media.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    IndigoRed wrote:
    I'm confused, Q. Are we talking here about merging the teams? Putting Team Icrontic and Team Short Media together? I don't want to vote on a decision affecting Team Icrontic, because I'm part of Team Short Media. Clarify please?

Also, if we are talking merger, what is the point count going to do? Are points lost or merged?
    Team #33693 (Icrontic) will not change. Team #93 (Team Short-Media) would change if "Team Icrontic" is voted. No point merger, not changing of the client machines... Everything is the same except what we call ourselves. :thumbsup:
    IndigoRed wrote:
    So, we could have 2 teams, same name, different team number?
    Yes... besides, one team is "Icrontic" and, if voted in, "Team Icrontic".
    GrayFox wrote:
    Team 93.

Either name is good as long as I don't have to change my team number.

I voted short-media.
    No change to old systems, no Team number change...
    edited June 2007
    head_hurts_kr.gif
    Ok! Got it! One Short Media vote.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2007
    Voted Short-Media.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    edited June 2007
    Voted Team Icrontic. We have the number, that is all that matters...
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Icrontic. Thats what the site is so the team should match.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    My roots go back to Apushardware.com and the very beginnings of Icrontic. I was also one of the first three members of the first Icrontic Folding team. This is not to make a name for myself or to draw attention, simply to show the influence on my feelings about this issue.

Icrontic! (Team 93)

Team members, whatever you vote, and whatever the outcome, remember - it will still remain Team 93! That is permanent.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited June 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    My roots go back to Apushardware.com and the very beginnings of Icrontic. I was also one of the first three members of the first Icrontic Folding team. This is not to make a name for myself or to draw attention, simply to show the influence on my feelings about this issue.

Icrontic! (Team 93)

Team members, whatever you vote, and whatever the outcome, remember - it will still remain Team 93! That is permanent.

Very well put, Leo. I figure a certain amount of sentiment comes in to play, hence for me it is Short-Media. I don't know anything different.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    If we named ourselves psychedelicpuppies.com tomorrow, that's what I'd vote for if a new name change poll came up. The team should match the site: Its users and webspace are harbored here.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2007
    I was part of Team 93 when it was originally Icrontic and held the #1 spot on the team once upon a time, but I'm on the fence about changing the name. I understand that many of our current active folders have only been a part of Team Short-Media. I also understand those who say the name should match the site that provides a place for the Team to hang out.

Everyone has their own reason for choosing one name or the other which is to be expected.

Regardless of the outcome, it should be based on the votes of current active members of Team 93.

As the host of IC10, I consider myself to be an active member and will cast my vote once I make a decision.

A rose by any other name will still smell as sweet and the plant that supports the rose will still have thorns. :)
    edited June 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Yep... Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about. I know I do... ;)
    MrBill wrote:
    A rose by any other name will still smell as sweet and the plant that supports the rose will still have thorns. :)
    Team #93 will always be my team... the name is secondary. :D
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    If we named ourselves psychedelicpuppies.com tomorrow, that's what I'd vote for if a new name change poll came up. The team should match the site: Its users and webspace are harbored here.

my vote is for psychede- er, I mean Icrontic. Team name matches site name.

And to state it one more time, team number is not changing, just the name to which we choose to refer to ourselves.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    I'd be happy with either, but I voted for Icrontic to match the site name. :thumbsup:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    icrontic
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2007
    Can I just ask a question here...? Something that I have not really seen addressed, but was pointed out in the other poll thread: there already is a Team Icrontic. If we change names, there will be two Team Icrontics. Is this not a problem? Can we have the same name? We can't merge the 2 teams, can we? Can we get them to change their name to Icrontic (old) or something? Or can we be Icrontic (SM)?

Dexter
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    That is just "icrontic", not "team icrontic"
    edited June 2007
    Dexter wrote:
    Can I just ask a question here...? Something that I have not really seen addressed, but was pointed out in the other poll thread: there already is a Team Icrontic. If we change names, there will be two Team Icrontics. Is this not a problem? Can we have the same name? We can't merge the 2 teams, can we? Can we get them to change their name to Icrontic (old) or something? Or can we be Icrontic (SM)?

First off... the other team is just "Icrontic" and the selection above would be "Team Icrontic". so technically, there would be two different teams with similar names.

Also... the Team Number is all that matters to Stanford computers. The name is just for us humans to identify with. :D

Merger is not possible...

The idea of having them change their name has not been addressed. Does anyone know who setup Team #33693 and/or the Captain?

Finally... Dex, it is SOOOOO nice to see you online. :D
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Dexter wrote:

Dexter

One team will be "Icrontic" and the other will be "Team Icrontic".

edit: oops didn't see their replies ^^^
  • DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited June 2007
    That is just "icrontic", not "team icrontic"
    QCH2002 wrote:
    First off... the other team is just "Icrontic" and the selection above would be "Team Icrontic". so technically, there would be two different teams with similar names.

Ahhh, I see. Perhaps we could even further differentiate by changing to Icrontic.com?

Regardless, I'll cast my vote for Icrontic then, to keep it consistent with the site name, just as it changed to SM when the team moved to SM.

Dexter...
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2007
    Sometimes change is good. Lets go back to our roots as Team Icrontic.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Icrontic! (Team 93)

I'm all about roots! ;)
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2007
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    I'm all about roots! ;)

OK. Team Short-Media. :D
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Qeldroma wrote:
    OK. Team Short-Media. :D

I didn't start folding till after short-media but was a part of icrontic long before that. If it wasn't for the original icrontic, short-media would have never seen the light of day!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    I didn't start folding till after short-media but was a part of icrontic long before that. If it wasn't for the original icrontic, short-media would have never seen the light of day!

Amen Brother!
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited June 2007
    With all due respect to those who wish to keep the name Team Short-Media, I voted for Team Icrontic. Having been a part of both Team "names", my vote is not based on sentiment. I agree with Thrax and others that the Team name should reflect the Site name. :)

I hope everyone can live happily ever after with whatever the outcome is!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    If we named ourselves psychedelicpuppies.com tomorrow....
    ...we might attract the wrong crowd.
    MrBill wrote:
    ...I'm on the fence about changing the name.
    Ouch! That just gives you a big wedgie.