New computer time?

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited August 2007 in Hardware
Ok, Right now I have a socket 754 Athlon 64 2800 with a gig of ram and a 6800GT vid card. It's not bad, but is starting to show its age.

Basically I want a new computer for college, but I am a bit cloudy on the current state of the leet. It has been for ever since I've seen any roadmaps, so I don't know when new hardware will come out or anything.

I want to go quad core, native/elegant if possible. Will this be available soon, or should I just go ahead and get the sloppy quad?

Basically, right now, if you were to build a system, what would you get as far as mobo/proc/mem/vid? And my second question is when are the expected release dates for new chipsets, processors, and vid cards if any?

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited August 2007
    I'm sure you will get some excellent input. But first answer this:

What are you planning on doing with the computer- as in what specific tasks and emphasis do you use it for?
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited August 2007
    Sounds plenty fast to me already...just save that money and take some girls out once you get to school :)
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited August 2007
    One a more serious note the C2Duo + 8800GTS has been a sweet combo for me for the past month.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Its not fast enough for me. I run inDesign and photoshop all the time. I also run after effects, premiere pro, and encore quite often. Not to mention programming. My current computer just isn't cutting it. I use my computer for just about everything. I dabble in a little bit of everything.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2007
    You want the biggest bang for the buck? Keep your current system and put at least another gig of ram into it. All the applications you've mentioned are ram intensive over CPU intensive.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I'm getting a new computer. This computer is going to my brother, and no. When the processor is pegged out at 100% it is not a ram issue. I know what the problem is and most of it lies in the architecture in the S754. It was just a pos layout to begin with. Doesn't even have dual channel memory. Sure its good for general tasks and web surfing. But it is not up to my standards. I'm not a patient person.

I want the best processor that I can get before the returns start diminishing. Let's just say that I'm going quad core no matter what. I actually thought about buy dual xeons, but the cost was a little bit prohibitive. The xeons were about twice the price of a comparable core2Quad.

I'm really looking for thrax's opinion right now as he usually knows where the trends are heading and when everything is on its way down the production line.