What's your internet speed?

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Download Speed: 6904 kbps (863 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1623 kbps (202.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

I have comcast....I don't know how much I pay...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Bill Gates wrote:
    Download Speed: 6904 kbps (863 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 1623 kbps (202.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

I have comcast....I don't know how much I pay...

I figured you would've had MSN broadband. ;)

(Oh I slay me).
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    djshowdown wrote:
    yeah thats fair enough

but its still shouldnt result in the crap upstream that im getting

im clearly not even being capped at the time of the speed tests because the downstream is fine

very disappointing especially as one of the reasons i joined virgin was so i could buy and xbox and play online

which i can now do, except i cant host a room with more than like 6 players, yet my friend who has 8 meg sky adsl can host a room with 12 people no problem

very annoying

Umm... your upload is plenty. On the note of your connection rate though, these companies are giving everyone a connection that cannot be dedicated. I mean let's say the ISP only has 10 people to serve, and they give all 10 people a 1Mbps line, then they only need a 10Mbps line themselves to serve all 10 people. But instead what they do is give everyone a 5Mbps connection while only having a total capacity of 10Mbps for everyone when they really need a 50Mbps connection. But they're betting that all these 10 people are not online all the time... so if two people are utilizing their full connection then it's already eating up the whole 10Mbps backbone. If a third or more gets online then it should try to spread the connection using some sort of traffic shaping protocol or whatever so that if all 10 do get online utilizing their full connection, everyone only gets 1Mbps... and it varies of course.

This goes for DSL and Cable, but is mostly noticable on Cable becuase DSL works off larger areas which means a bigger pipe fed to a CO and cable is usually a neighborhood node.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Oh my, mine is real slow.

891 down and 417 up.

We pay round 250 NOK ($43)
    We use Telenor
  • edited August 2007
    This goes for DSL and Cable, but is mostly noticable on Cable becuase DSL works off larger areas which means a bigger pipe fed to a CO and cable is usually a neighborhood node.

After working for a DSL provider I can tell you this is a big myth. The same contention issues exist for both technologies. It's down to how the company in question deals with it in the end. Youe explaination of where the contention occurs is partially correct, ADSL will be contended at the CO in American terms, we know those as local exchanges in the UK and then at the ISP. All depends on how its been set up.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited August 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    I figured you would've had MSN broadband. ;)

(Oh I slay me).
    Lulz.
  • edited August 2007
    Not to toot my own horn, but this was the common speed at the college I used to go to. It was a technical university (similar to MIT) and we had a T3 per floor of our dorm. We downloaded a dvd once over useNext in mins. So without further Ado...
    edited August 2007
    That... is awesome, man.
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited August 2007
    i wonder how long it would take to download the whole internet with that speed lol
    edited August 2007
    Haha.. I can't even imagine having a DL and UL that fast. Thats insane. Probably download as fast as any server can upload it to you!
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Well if a computer is on a similar backbone it should be able to keep up. But seriously, you could have run a hosting company off of that.
  • edited August 2007
    My school had it's own isp, it was so ereet.
    edited August 2007
    173182716.png

The supposed T1 Connection in my room. I could have sworn T1 stopped ~1500kbps. and that the upload was the same. Oh well. Its faster at any rate.
  • edited August 2007
    After working for a DSL provider I can tell you this is a big myth. The same contention issues exist for both technologies. It's down to how the company in question deals with it in the end. Youe explaination of where the contention occurs is partially correct, ADSL will be contended at the CO in American terms, we know those as local exchanges in the UK and then at the ISP. All depends on how its been set up.

That's not always entirely true. In my area, Comcast, who is the major cable company, uses horribly outdated trunking networks to provide for their users. It's basically one "trunk" that supplies entire blocks. And that one trunk will feed into the muxer for that area. And you can only support so many frequencies in one 18 gauge coax cable. So just the physical limitations of the hardwiring itself severely limits cable. Whereas Bellsouth, our major DSL provider in this area, uses the existing phone lines that run individually to each house from DSLAM's on each block.
  • edited August 2007
    Putting a DSLAM at the end of each block is a good way to keep sync rates high but you still have to deal with contention across the backhaul.

But that is a good point, in some areas there is always somebody who gets it very wrong.
  • MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited September 2007
    180407157.png
    We have a local radio band (?) system set up locally, kind of a spider web type of thing called TinCan.net. We all have this box with a non-directional antennae that recieves from any other box in the area. It's about $39.00 a month for up to 1.5 megs. It only reaches that late at night but what a difference from dial up! :bigggrin:
    I can D/L mp3's in two or three minutes as compared to twenty or thirty if I was lucky enough not to get cut off.
    MGK
  • halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
    edited September 2007
    LIN wrote:
    i've decided i'm moving in with you, leishi ;)

LIN

LOL you want to move in with him mine is

13860 Download speed and 1812 Upload I have optiumonline cable.. about 40.00+ a month im not 100% sure because i dont pay the bill :) and i used the NY server...
  • halo2_godhalo2_god New York state
    edited September 2007
    halo2_god wrote:
    LOL you want to move in with him mine is

13860 Download speed and 1812 Upload I have optiumonline cable.. about 40.00+ a month im not 100% sure because i dont pay the bill :) and i used the NY server... 180908436.png
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited September 2007
    Heres my connection.

Its a bit conjusted right now (3 people on my forum its hosted from my home connection).

Also why is noone else providing a traceroute.

What good is the connection if your ping sucks.
    edited July 2008
    Update, I switched to teksavvy premium im running 2X 5056/800 adsl lines bonded using multilink ppp. After the all the overhead overhead and atm overhead im left with 8.6/1.3.

Both lines are standard g.dmt adsl on fastpath synced at 5056/800.

edit: If anyone is interested in teksavvy their probably the best isp out there. The only problem with them is that they use bell's equipment for last mile service. (Bells Copper, Dslams & ATM network)

There tech support is very smart and they maintain a active presence on dslreports.com forum.

edit: Im probably going to get another line to get a nice 15,000/2400
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    I get any where from 32000 to 19000 down and 1400 to 2300 upload. Cox cable treats me so well, and I only pay like 60USD a month.
    edited July 2008
    Sonorous wrote:
    I get any where from 32000 to 19000 down and 1400 to 2300 upload. Cox cable treats me so well, and I only pay like 60USD a month.

Got a screenshot of that.

With those speeds your modem must be uncapped. From what ive read the Docsis 2's spec only calls for 38,000/27,000 for the entire node.
    edited July 2008
    Here are some screens. Sorry about the quality of them, I did this in a hurry.
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    291576946.png
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited July 2008
    292024248.png

Rogers light cable through a router ;)
    edited July 2008
    7797kbps down/539kbps up

Suddenlink cable
  • edited July 2008
    292238416.png

Current sync rate is 7,190kpbs down 1,248kbps up so can't really complain. Using Be ADSL2+
    edited July 2008
    Sonorous wrote:
    Here are some screens. Sorry about the quality of them, I did this in a hurry.

The itunes download speed will be inaccurate as you stopped one and downloaded another it will just pull what it has out of cache at an accelerated rate. (Assuming your using firefox)

It looks like your trying to cheat ....
    edited July 2008
    GrayFox wrote:
    The itunes download speed will be inaccurate as you stopped one and downloaded another it will just pull what it has out of cache at an accelerated rate. (Assuming your using firefox)

It looks like your trying to cheat ....

Why would you even assume that? Here is a another pic from an Nvidia server just to appease you as well as a speedtest.net result 294707795.png