I finally signed up for the gym.

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited September 2008 in Fitness
I have been cleared by my doctor for about two months tha I can workout now after my surgery recovery. And I finally decided I was sick of trying to gain weight and never being able to. If you remember, I tried this a while back but just couldn't keep any weight on.

Well me and a friend have been working out for almost two weeks now. We go three days a week and I have put on 5lbs. W00t!!!! I'm so happy guys. My goal is to get up to around 150 or so. I'm at around 124 now. I drink a protein shake before working out, which I think has helped out the most because it is packed with protein and calories.

Just thought I would share some good news with you all.

Comments

• NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Drink your shake immediately post work out instead.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2007
    Cool, I'll do that. The directions said to split it up half/half for the first week or so. So starting tonight I'll just drink one big shake after my workout.

It calls for two heaping scoops of the powder, and 24 ounces of milk. Just one shake of half that makes me feel like I ate a whole buffet, lol. So I can imagine what the whole shake will feel like. Thanks for the tip man.
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, post-workout your body is better able to deliver nutrients to your glycogen depleted muscles, specifically protein since at the gym you just finished tearing your muscles. If you want to add a bit more calories and protein too (since you'll need that to gain weight) try adding a few tablespoons of peanut butter and blending it.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Power lifting? I began working out last week with simple 15lbs dumbell weights, I am just trying to build up my endurance though and loose weight as dieting alone hasn't helped much at all.
    edited August 2007
    Our workout routine is a full body. Different parts spread out over the week workout. I looked up some routines on bodybuilding.com for newcomers and picked one that fit me.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I think it's great that you've got a workout partner. I find it to be exteremely motivating to have someone else holding me accountable to keep going to the gym regularly. Plus we push each other to excel.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    RWB wrote:
    Power lifting? I began working out last week with simple 15lbs dumbell weights, I am just trying to build up my endurance though and loose weight as dieting alone hasn't helped much at all.

With 15lbs you're wasting your time, and if you haven't lost through dieting, you're doing something wrong.

I hate to be so frank, but it's true.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I lift with 25lb dumbbells when I get a chance. If I worked out more regularly I could actually get my max up but... That's all about to change cause osu has a really nice fitness center that is all decked out. So now I won't have an excuse not to be working out.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    With 15lbs you're wasting your time, and if you haven't lost through dieting, you're doing something wrong.

I hate to be so frank, but it's true.

Well being that I am dead broke and can't afford to buy anything(was given these weights) anything is better than nothing, and nothing is precisely what I have been doing while dieting in terms of physical activity. Sleep, eat, drive to work, come home from work, rinse repeat.
    edited August 2007
    Clutch wrote:
    Our workout routine is a full body. Different parts spread out over the week workout. I looked up some routines on bodybuilding.com for newcomers and picked one that fit me.

Rippetoes?
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    seriously, if you're trying to gain weight you need to eat like it's your full time job. It's really simple, calories in need to be greater than calories used, so if you have a really high metabolism, you need to eat that much more. Don't stray too far from a basic food guide, you want 40% protien, 40% carbs and 20% fats.
    Add in a shake as soon as you wake up and one before you go to bed as well. They don't need to be big ones, one scoop is fine. Fill the rest of your day with complex carbs, chicken, turkey, fish, cottage cheese, etc.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Nomad wrote:
    Yeah, post-workout your body is better able to deliver nutrients to your glycogen depleted muscles, specifically protein since at the gym you just finished tearing your muscles. If you want to add a bit more calories and protein too (since you'll need that to gain weight) try adding a few tablespoons of peanut butter and blending it.
    For those of us not looking to gain weight, is it still recommended to drink the shake, post workout? Obviously building muscle doesn't bother me, so if that is the best way to get it to the muscle rather than my middle :D

Also....recommendations on protein shake brands? I assume using soy milk over dairy milk is ok as well?

Sorry, not trying to drag your thread OT, Clutch :o
    edited August 2007
    It's okay to drink the shake post-workout as long as it fits within a daily caloric budget of (YOUR WEIGHT)*15 - 300. This is the formula you need to follow when losing body fat. No more than 100g of carbs per day, 200g of protein and 125g of fat. Note that this fat is the kind from cottage cheese, skim milk (Soy grows manboobs), peanuts, cashews, olive and vegetable oils.

Your carbs need to be complex: No bleached flour, white rice or white breads. If it ain't brown, put it down.

Your muscle growth will be very mild or flatline while cutting fat, and that's just the way it goes. Once your body fat % is under control, you can start gaining healthy weight again (Called bulking) which will allow you periods of rapid muscle growth. Then you go back to cutting, bulking, cutting, etc. But if you do not work your muscles while cutting body fat %, you will lose muscle mass as well.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2007
    I don't feel like reading through every post so sorry if someone asked this, but how tall are you clutch?
    edited August 2007
    Before you become concerned with good shakes and feet the ridiculous supplement industry, be sure your diet is clean enough and you're working hard enough that the shake will have an effect.

Post-workout shake is a universal recommendation. Protein can be consumed in an unlimited amount.

Sam's/Costco sells EAS whey protein for like $26 per 5 pound bag. Taste is iffy. 100% whey blend (WPI/WPC), not the casein, whey, and soy blends. Casein and soy are slower digesting.

I like ON 100% Whey, chocolate and vanilla are both good. $20 for 2.7 pounds.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited August 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    For those of us not looking to gain weight, is it still recommended to drink the shake, post workout? Obviously building muscle doesn't bother me, so if that is the best way to get it to the muscle rather than my middle :D

Also....recommendations on protein shake brands? I assume using soy milk over dairy milk is ok as well?

Sorry, not trying to drag your thread OT, Clutch :o

If you're only going to drink one shake a day, do it immediately after your workout. That said studies have shown that having a surplus of protein in your system throughout the day will serve several functions. Your body is more likely to use it to build extra muscle for one. It also tends to lessen your hunger throughout the day.

I think the basic GNC stuff is pretty good and it comes in a variety of flavors. I would suggest you mix why and casein as recent studies have shown having the casein in your system can boost your muscle growth significantly. Likely due to the fact that its a slower release and supports that surplus in your system I mentioned above.

If you want to see results and you want to gain muscle mass you need to lift heavy. If you aren't hitting muscle failure by the eighth repetition you need to add more weight. If you can't knock out more than four its probably too heavy for you at that point. You don't need to eat a ton of calories to gain muscle. You should consume protein like there's no limit on it, because there basically isn't. Throw in a reasonable amount of carbohydrates with each protein source and you'll do fine.

Consistency is the key to everything. If you don't work out consistently you won't be able to tweak what you are doing accordingly because you won't have a frame of reference. If you perform the same workouts consistently you will be better able to track your progress and adjust as necessary. If you keep changing things or you miss workouts your progress will falter.
    Nomad wrote:
    Before you become concerned with good shakes and feet the ridiculous supplement industry, be sure your diet is clean enough and you're working hard enough that the shake will have an effect.

The right supplements will give you better results in less time. The proteins in general will always have an effect the only question is whether you're using them in the right proportions at the right time. Creatine has also been shown to be pretty much universally side effect free and worth rather large bonuses in muscle repair and endurance. I don't advocate spending hundreds of dollars on silly weight loss pills but anybody even remotely interested in bodybuilding should have whey and casein protein along with creatine on top of their fridge.
    edited August 2007
    Workout link

The workout we are doing is the 3rd place one by the user "BigNorwegian"

Ryder, the mix I use I got from GNC, it's called Serious Mass, it's made by the company ON. It is $31.99 for a 6lb container, but I get a discount becuase my best friends sister is the store manager :)

tmh: I'm 5'11"

Do you think it would be best for me to get just a protein mix to and drink a shake in the morning besides the serious mass stuff?
    edited August 2007
    Ok.... so this leads to more questions.

1) Until I start to see some "slimming" on my own, should I even worry about a protein shake?

2) In regards to working hard enough. I am interested in burning fat/slimming, if I understand correctly, working too hard will not burn fat (lack of oxygen necessary to burn the fat) is that a true statement?

3) If the above is true, a simple test to determine how hard you were working, went like this: "If you can't carry on a conversation, without pausing to breath during the current activity, then you are working to hard." Is that a fair "test" to make sure I am not overdoing it? This would apply mainly to my cardio/treadmill portion of my workout obviously.

4) There are some contradiction's in a couple statements here. 1 says there is a limit to Protein, 2 more say there isn't one. Sources? Reason? Is there a right/wrong or are both valid?

5) Thrax's calorie intake seems waaay higher than what I have been trying to maintain. Remember I sit in this chair 8 hours a day+ to achieve my work. I need to find a calorie intake that will allow me to get benefit from the workout without negating its affects when I am "just sitting around"
    Slimming down was definitely much easier when I was in a job with more activity.

Ok...that's it for now ;)
  • osaddictosaddict London, UK
    edited August 2007
    Clearly this is what you need:

beefcake.gif

On a more serious note: www.exrx.net is an awesome site in every way - it cuts through the crap you get on some websites and is nice and scientific (which appeals to my inner geek)
    edited August 2007
    People often underestimate their BMR by a huge margin. I am a 5'10" male at 159 pounds, and I burn 1800 calories even if I never moved a muscle for the day. Weight * 15 - 300 is probably closer to what you burn than you think.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Ok. I weigh 148 (finally) I'm around 5'11" and fairly skinny everywhere except my stomach and ass. wtf. I can't make it disappear. I don't even care about the butt as much as I'd like to have a flat stomach, even if I didn't have a six pack..just flat. Can anyone advise?
    edited August 2007
    More cardio, more intensity. Try High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) for 10-30 minutes a day. 30 seconds sprinting AS FAST AS YOU CAN GO / 30 seconds jogging, repeat until you just can't go any more. Follow up with protein/carb shake and some water.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited August 2007
    Clutch wrote:
    Workout link

The workout we are doing is the 3rd place one by the user "BigNorwegian"

Ryder, the mix I use I got from GNC, it's called Serious Mass, it's made by the company ON. It is $31.99 for a 6lb container, but I get a discount becuase my best friends sister is the store manager :)

tmh: I'm 5'11"

Do you think it would be best for me to get just a protein mix to and drink a shake in the morning besides the serious mass stuff?

You need to add casein to the mix dude. Seriously, you'll gain about 50% more muscle with it over whey alone. Yes, drink a shake in the morning also. I'm coming up on halfway through a bulking cycle myself and I drink at least two a day. In addition to other protein sources from the food I eat.
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Ok.... so this leads to more questions.

1) Until I start to see some "slimming" on my own, should I even worry about a protein shake?

Slimming? What are you trying to do at the moment?
    2) In regards to working hard enough. I am interested in burning fat/slimming, if I understand correctly, working too hard will not burn fat (lack of oxygen necessary to burn the fat) is that a true statement?
    False statement. Anaerobic excercise burns more fat and produces a larger metabolism boost than aerobic. The classic examples are jogging and running intervals. You could jog for 90 minutes a day but you're only going to burn so much fat with a steady jog and studies have shown the fat burning halts almost as soon as you stop jogging. Intervals on the other hand are more intense, take less time out of your day, and produce hours of fat burning metabolism boost afterwards.
    3) If the above is true, a simple test to determine how hard you were working, went like this: "If you can't carry on a conversation, without pausing to breath during the current activity, then you are working to hard." Is that a fair "test" to make sure I am not overdoing it? This would apply mainly to my cardio/treadmill portion of my workout obviously.

If you want to slim down I'd combine a carbohydrate cycling diet with lots of intervals. Try the interval routine I did in college. Sprint - Read that as Run as hard as you possibly can - for 45 seconds. Then jog for 60 seconds at a much slower pace. Thats one interval. If you can do 8 of them in a row without stopping to rest you're in fairly decent shape I promise you.
    4) There are some contradiction's in a couple statements here. 1 says there is a limit to Protein, 2 more say there isn't one. Sources? Reason? Is there a right/wrong or are both valid?
    There's no limit to protein. Eat as much of it as you want. Shoot for at least 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight per day. Surplus protein is more likely to be used to produce new muscle than fat. Protein takes a more complex set of steps to be broken down and used for energy or storage. It also doesn't spike your insulin levels in your bloodstream like carbohydrates do.
    5) Thrax's calorie intake seems waaay higher than what I have been trying to maintain. Remember I sit in this chair 8 hours a day+ to achieve my work. I need to find a calorie intake that will allow me to get benefit from the workout without negating its affects when I am "just sitting around"
    Slimming down was definitely much easier when I was in a job with more activity.

Ok...that's it for now ;)
    The more you eat and the more frequently the more revved you keep your metabolism which is key if you want to burn off fat. Thrax is also spot on with protein intake and exercise while cutting down. If you drop your protein intake while you cut or you don't continue to exercise your body will sacrifice muscle mass ahead of fat. Its that constant surplus of protein in your bloodstream and the consistent use of the muscle you have that pushes fat up ahead of the line with weight reduction. There are serveral ways to cut down he's giving you a simple rule of thumb to follow without getting overly complex with it.
    Ok. I weigh 148 (finally) I'm around 5'11" and fairly skinny everywhere except my stomach and ass. wtf. I can't make it disappear. I don't even care about the butt as much as I'd like to have a flat stomach, even if I didn't have a six pack..just flat. Can anyone advise?

Thrax already answered you and he's right. You can't spot reduce, you have to drop your overall bodyfat percentage to see any improvement anywhere on your body. Me personally I've found that its DRAMATICALLY easier to trim down after you bulk up because you have extra muscle to support the calorie expenditure needed to trim down. You can only slice your diet down in so many ways before your body adapts to it and your progress plateaus out. Anybody wanting to trim down needs to spend about 4 months in the gym bulking up first in my opinion.
    edited August 2007
    Ryder, do you go to a gym now? I know when I signed up for the Golds Gym here, I could have gotten two free sessions with a private trainer and then they would have worked out a routine for me. So you might want to see about that, if Golds is a gym you would be interested in.

airborn, if you want to workout your stomach to, don't forget crunches. And never forget that girls love a six pack. Try doing some crunches with a weight on your chest, I do about 20 or so reps wit a 10lb plate on my chest and it is a good workout. But I'm always had a slim stomach with a sixpack but it never hurts to tone.
    edited August 2007
    LawnMM wrote:
    Slimming? What are you trying to do at the moment?
    Lower my body fat percentage, it is way out of control. That is the primary goal here. A little bulking up / strength increase in the arms wouldn't bother me either, but I really need to get the "spare tire" under control.

I am not up to running anywhere at the moment.. I think my knee's would be rather pissed off at me if I did. I am working my way up to more vigorous workouts. I typically workout somewhere between 11am and 1pm and eat a meal after (breakfast was around 8).

I did not join a gym, but I have access to a Gym/High Quality treadmill with preset "courses" as well as the ability to custom program my own (which I did and have been using that program for the last 5 days) and a complete free weight bench that has leg attachemnt and a lat pull down bar. Regarding the treadmill, my routine consists of a 28 min cycle with about 3 minutes of that being "warm up/cool down".
    The routine runs at various speeds/inclines during that time (no more than 3.5 MPH and no less than 2.5) When the speed is slower, the incline is greater and vice versa. Incline runs from 2% to 8% with about 8 minuts of the workout being 3% at 3.0 MPH.
    By the end, I am pretty worked up and the legs are feeling pretty "rubbery".
    Today was the 5th day and I did up the level just a bit here and there...bumping speeds by a tenth or two in some areas.

The heart rate monitor on the thing is a pain to use, you have to grab a couple hand grips and it doesn't always read well. Mid routine I am turning approx 110 - 115 if it is at all accurate, I plan on getting something else to keep an eye on that closer.

Hopefully that is enough info to see if I am even doing myself any good :)
    edited August 2007
    Cycle if you can't run, do it on intervals. Sounds like you can run but just aren't used to it.
    edited August 2007
    Oh, I can run, but not for long, LOL.

I know, not the point. What you guys are saying is that I may not be doing enough to get this thing started?

I would be better off doing 3 intervals (example, no idea how many I can do) and being just totally heaving out of breath, than my 25 minute "walk"?
    edited August 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    I would be better off doing 3 intervals (if that is all I can do) than my 25 minute "walk"?

Yes, as long as you're advancing your intervals over time.

In lieu of casein shakes before bed you can have cottage cheese, which is also slow digesting if you're looking to save money.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited August 2007
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Lower my body fat percentage, it is way out of control. That is the primary goal here. A little bulking up / strength increase in the arms wouldn't bother me either, but I really need to get the "spare tire" under control.

Do you know what your percentage is now? Your treadmill workout sounds weak to be honest dude. 3.5mph is like a walking cool down pace. 110bpm on your heart rate isn't much higher than resting for most people. Mine has shot up over 200 after a sprint with an interval workout. You need to work or your benefits will be minimal.

Do you have a high school or college near you? Their track's are typically open to the public assuming its outdoor. We had an indoor and outdoor track at the university I went to that I would use depending on the weather before I was even enrolled there. Jog as much of a full lap as you can and use that as your baseline. Break it down into fractions. If you can run half a 1/4 mile track then run that and recover for the second half, then run the next half, so you're alternating between running 1/8th a mile and walking 1/8th. Do that for a week then try running 3/4ths the way around and walking. Work yourself up adding distance every week till you're jogging/running more and more of it.

If you aren't crazy about running with other people around go late at night or earlier in the morning and work on it. I don't know what you're eating but my guess is that you aren't eating enough and you've probably strangled your metabolism. Eat 5 or 6 meals a day and split up your total calorie intake among them. The farther out of shape you are the more you can accomplish at the same time. For example you can probably drop fat and add muscle at this point at the same time. Unfortunately this is also the paradox of bodybuilding. The better shape you get into the less you can multitask. As you get into better shape your body holds onto your fat a lot tighter. Eventually you'll get to the point where if you want to add muscle you have to accept that you're going to add some fat at the same time and likewise if you want to drop your bodyfat percentage down you're going to lose some strength doing it.

Personally I find the bulking trickier than the cutting. Its easy to pack on some muscle the trick is trying not to pick up a bunch of fat in doing so. On the other hand I find it easy to maintain what muscle you have while cutting provided you work out consistently and are religious about your protein intake. I can't stress working out in the gym with free weights if you want to lose weight and shape up. I believe its something like 500 calories a day for every 10lbs of muscle you add. If you add 10lbs of lean mass to your frame and you want to drop your intake by 1000 calories you only have to cut 500 from your diet and your muscle will burn the rest with your inflated basal metabolic rate.

Combine that with something like carb cycling and you'll see some pretty incredible results pretty quickly. I could ramble on this forever its easier to answer specific questions with regard to nutrition or fitness.

**Edited to add - Yes 4 intervals and being completed toasted and out of breath after 5-10 minutes of hard running will do more for you than a 25 minute walk many times over. **
    edited August 2007
    Got it, thanks guys... New workout routine tomorrow !! :D

3.5MPH a cool down pace? holy crap man, I am only 5'9", my leg's are not very long.

I am 38 years old remember LMM, not a "young pup" like you ;)

I don't want to hurt myself (strain, sprain, etc) but I do want to make the most of my time.