Why am I always tired?

ClutchClutch North Carolina New
edited August 2007 in Fitness
For about the past three months it seems like I just cannot get enough sleep. I usually go to bed at 11:00, and wake up at 7:00, 8 hours of sleep. But when I wake up I'm so tired it is a struggle to get out of bed. Before I would go to bed at like 12ish and wake up at 6:00 and be good. And every day around 2:00 to 3:00 I get so sleepy I cannot hold my eyes open. I actually have fallen asleep at work several times, like 20 minute naps. I almost feel asleep while driving back to the office last week from a call at 1:30.

I have tried getting more sleep, doesn't help, I have tried getting less sleep, doesn't help. Should I start taking some iron pills or something? This is getting crazy. Has anyone had this situation, or known anyone?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Have your TSH tested. TSH is thyroid stimulation hormone, and if it's off, you will never be able to get enough sleep to feel alive. When my TSH was way down, I would sleep 14-16 hours a day and still feel like total crap.

It's a shot in the dark, but at any rate, mention it to your doctor, and have him or her give you a blood test - your chemistry will hold clues to it if it's physical.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    but at any rate, mention it to your doctor
    If you've tried variations on sleep patterns, none of them work, and you're getting enough exercise, then yeah, sounds like something to talk to the doc about. The things my mind goes to are mono, thyroid, vitamin deficiency, or depression. :-/ Personally, I wouldn't take iron pills without checking in with a doc first, but I've always been paranoid about/wary of supplements in general. The only one I'll take is Flintones a few times a week. :D;D
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Time for bloodwork. They can test the stuff Prime mentioned, and also look for mono.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Could also be a comfort thing... I used to feel that way, then about 6 years ago I got a real mattress to replace my crappy hand-me-down one, and one of those memory-foam pillows to replace my old flat one, and now I don't even need to sleep 8 hours to feel rested. Also, all the neck problems I used to have have gone away.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    My first thought was sleep apnea. My son had it; big tonsils big adenoids. being overweight can cause it too, but you aren't , right?
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Question are your legs tired at all? I have PLS ( restless leg sysndrom ) my legs twitch when i sleep never allowing me to fall into REM sleep. So i never get a charge. I take a medicine to relax my muscles and I am good
  • edited August 2007
    eat more fruit, drink more water and go to the gym an extra day per week. I wouldnt be looking for an internets diagnosis just yet.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    My suggestion is a sleep clinic. You spend the night while they monitor your sleep patterns. Check for all sleep disorders.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    There once was a boy name Clutch
    for whom sleep did nothing much.
    "End days with a fap
    and drink a night cap,"
    said the doc who alw'ys did such.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2007
    Zuntar wrote:
    My first thought was sleep apnea. My son had it; big tonsils big adenoids. being overweight can cause it too, but you aren't , right?

had sleep apnea due to that exact reason and had to have my tonsils and adenoids removed. Possibly the worst 2 weeks of my life. I dont have any pictures of it, but my uvula was so swollen that it was lying on my tongue and caused me to gag and throw up a lot, which then made me bleed even more. I lost about 13 pounds from throwing up and not being able to eat, along with a constant headache for the first 3 days. They gave me liquid painkillers but that didn't help too much. NEVER GET YOUR TONSILS OUT IF YOURE OVER 12 YEARS OLD!!!
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    tmh88 wrote:
    had sleep apnea due to that exact reason and had to have my tonsils and adenoids removed. Possibly the worst 2 weeks of my life. I dont have any pictures of it, but my uvula was so swollen that it was lying on my tongue and caused me to gag and throw up a lot, which then made me bleed even more. I lost about 13 pounds from throwing up and not being able to eat, along with a constant headache for the first 3 days. They gave me liquid painkillers but that didn't help too much. NEVER GET YOUR TONSILS OUT IF YOURE OVER 12 YEARS OLD!!!

Yea, it was brutal for my son and he was only 4. I wouldn't eat ANYTHING. We had like 4 kinds of Popsicles 6 different types of ice cream about a dozen types of juice, and more cookies, crackers, and yogurt then i've ever seen and he did NOT eat or drink ANYTHING for three and a half days, we had to take him to the ER because he was getting fever spikes and was sooo dehydrated. Scared the hell out of me and mom. Sleeps like a champ now though!!

Hope you feel better and get some real rest soon Clutch!!;)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2007
    I have a really good mattress, been sleeping on it for over a year now. Me being super tired started about three or so months ago I would guess. I'm nowhere near overweight, although I'm still gaining weight from my new diet and going to the gym. I also do some home workouts usually every night before bed.

Gnome: My legs don't feel tired. When I get sleepy during the day if I get up and walk around I usually "wake up" more.

I'm going to see about seeing my doctor as soon as I can though.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Not just sleep apnea, but a variety of breathing troubles can cause you to sleep poorly. Can you breathe fully and deeply through your nose, even when you lay down? If not, you're likely mouth-breathing in your sleep, possibly interrupting your breathing. It could be apnea, some kind of restriction, maybe even deviated septum.
    [Deleted User]
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2007
    I know this is going to take a differant slant from what others here have suggested.

I am NOT suggesting you partake in any "illegal" activities so keep that in mind!!!!!

But here is my advice...... Remember I am an old man..... (wink)

DATE YOUNG WOMEN!!!

I swear you will still be tired but it will at least be worth it......

They will bury you with a smile on your face! LOL

Cowboy
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited August 2007
    Also remember it ain't that long since you had fairly major surgery. It will have used a lot of your bodies reserves.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2007
    Zuntar wrote:
    Yea, it was brutal for my son and he was only 4. I wouldn't eat ANYTHING. We had like 4 kinds of Popsicles 6 different types of ice cream about a dozen types of juice, and more cookies, crackers, and yogurt then i've ever seen and he did NOT eat or drink ANYTHING for three and a half days, we had to take him to the ER because he was getting fever spikes and was sooo dehydrated.

I couldnt even eat yogurt for about 4 days after the surgery. I lived on chocolate milk and apple sauce for 3 days until i could finally eat some yogurt. Even then I had to force myself through the pain to eat it! all better now though.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Change of environment will do it as well. Like did you used to have the radio on when you slept and stopped? Noises that used to not be there? Is your diet correct for the time periods? You don't want to be eating energy foods before bed, ie fruit. It could also be your body adjusting to the new regimen. Doctor first!
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited August 2007
    I usually sleep with some music playing from my computer, I haven't been doing that for a couple of weeks, I'll start that back tonight.

Today was actually a good day for me, 3:00 came around and I wasn't tired at all. The only thing I changed was that I ate a big breakfast at 7:30 and then ate again at 10:30, and then lunch at 1:30. I'm trying to get 6 meals in a day for my new diet to put on a lot of weight. I don't know if the extra meal did anything, but that was all that changed.

And Tex; I'll have to pick me up a young nice lady :)
    [Deleted User]