Worth upgrading?

NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
edited September 2007 in Hardware
I built my pc about 3 years ago.

AMD - 939 3000+
MSI K8 Neo4 mobo
2 x 512mb Kingston HyperX
Gigabyte 6600 pci-e

Do you think it would be worth totally rebuilding? Or would it be worthwhile to just upgrade the processor and vid card, maybe add some more ram.

Counter-strike and surfing the web are pretty much the only things I do on this thing, it plays cs fine, but I know it could be better.

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    more memory and a video card would get you a ways.
    Heck, I think that X2 4200+'s are still out there cheep.

Is your memory DDR2? If so then you plan on building a new machine next year and reusing the memory and video card.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited August 2007
    Would a Radeon x1950Pro (512mb, 256-bit) last me a while?
    edited August 2007
    How much are you looking to spend?
    memory, 2x1GB 800DDR2 cas4 - there are lots of options with rebates, prices are $60-70.
    cpu, X2 4200+ is only $80
    That leaves the video card. An 8800GTS will run you $250, but it is DX10 and powerful. The other DX10 options are poor second choices.
    If DX10 isn't important then a 1950XT might be the best option, or go with the PRO for under $140.
    edited August 2007
    Dx10 isn't important.

Any Nvidias more powerful than the x1950pro for around or a little above the same price.
    edited August 2007
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102094

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161174 (Never seen the HD line, whats with them?)

Both of these look like they'd perform pretty well for what I do.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    1950 pro is better than both of those.
    edited August 2007
    Will the stock heatsink from my 3000+ keep a 4200+ cool enough for hours of gaming?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The CPU cooler is a moot point. Just buy the 4200 retail package. The stock cooler will work famously unless you plan on serious overclocking. The heat buildup during gaming should be a bigger concern for the video card. That too, should not be a problem unless your computer case is not well ventilated.

You want to buy the 4200 OEM and reuse the 3400's cooler? Is that your intent. If so, I can't comment. I don't know the difference in heat output rom the 3400 to the 4200.
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited August 2007
    Socket 939 does not support ddr2
    I don't know why nobody pointed this out :eek:
    edited August 2007
    Minor details. Since right now I own machines that use three different types of memory do you expect me to keep track of everything.
    edited August 2007
    I didn't mean any offense..just letting Nightwolf know so he doesn't buy the wrong stuff. Sorry
    edited August 2007
    Ed can be excused his momentary lapse of reason. :wink:

AlphaT, you did the right thing. Nightwolf, she is correct. Any RAM you have or purchase for your current motherboard will not work if move to newer systems, Intel or AMD. Sorry.
  • athalonheadathalonhead Member
    edited August 2007
    Go dual core. I dont see how anyone with a single core 939 can resist with the prices of them so low.

I went with a opty 170. This rig will be good for years to come.Unless I give in to the urge to upgrade.
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Ed can be excused his momentary lapse of reason. :wink:

AlphaT, you did the right thing. Nightwolf, she is correct. Any RAM you have or purchase for your current motherboard will not work if move to newer systems, Intel or AMD. Sorry.

I was aware 939 doesn't support ddr2, and that AM2/Core2duo's don't support DDR.

I didn't waste 3 hours a day for two years in a hardware/networking pc class for nothin.

Thanks for looking out though.
    edited August 2007
    My case blows right now, generic $20 case.

How will this do, pretty well priced!
    http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811133046

I'm still deciding on the vid card, how well do the 8600gt's perform? I don't think DX10 is something I'll be needing very soon, so any input is good.

Maybe a 7800gt or a 7900gs. Or will the x1950pro blow those out of the water?
    edited August 2007
    Well then..I apologize once again :(

But anyway, a client of mine chose a case very similar to that one (I think the only difference is that they didn't have a side window), and to this date it is the quietest case I have ever heard. 120mm fan in the front and back kept everything nice and cool. The case is also pretty good looking (I actually think it looked better with a solid side panel..but windows are always cool too :thumbsup: )
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The 1950 and 7xxxx are all from the same generation. A 1950 is 75-120% slower than an 8xxx card, but between the 7900GS and a 1950Pro, the Pro wins.
    edited August 2007
    edited August 2007
    I didn't waste 3 hours a day for two years in a hardware/networking pc class for nothin...My case blows right now, generic $20 case.
    Aha! So you didn't take the case appreciation course. This would explain a lot!

Sorry we underestimated your knowledge on the other matter.
    edited August 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Aha! So you didn't take the case appreciation course. This would explain a lot!

Hehe, nah, I built the PC a year before I started the class, Case appreciation was first quarter of second semester...
    edited August 2007
    At least no one made a snide comment about my age.
    Those that know me around here know that I never take offense. I believe that being snarkey is positive character trait.

There are still fast 2x1GB kits of DDR out there. Or go slightly used. I happen to have three sticks of 512MB DDR cas2 just laying around. I am sure that others around here have some as well.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited August 2007
    Nightwolf wrote:
    Core2duo's don't support DDR
    Oopsie better tell my asrock dual quad vsta rig to stop taking the pee then it can take either DDR or DDR2 same as the dual quad sata 2 also from asrock. They also have AGP and PCI-e, great for piecemeal upgrades as you get to use some of the old kit in a new Core 2 duo or quad rig.
  • edited August 2007
    SPIKE09 wrote:
    Oopsie better tell my asrock dual quad vsta rig to stop taking the pee then it can take either DDR or DDR2 same as the dual quad sata 2 also from asrock. They also have AGP and PCI-e, great for piecemeal upgrades as you get to use some of the old kit in a new Core 2 duo or quad rig.

And I better tell my E4400 that it isn't supposed to work with my Asrock 775i65G board with the 2 x 512 sticks of OCZ PC4800 ram in it too. ;)

Nightwolf, with the Intel processors you don't have a memory problem with the processor itself since it doesn't have an integrated memory controller on the processor like your A64. The type of memory supported by Intel processors is controlled by the northbridge chipset, not the processor. Asrock and some others have capitalized on making C2D-capable boards with older chipsets that support DDR and even AGP, or both DDR and DDR2.
    edited August 2007
    Good point. I had forgotten about the 'multi fuel' motherboards. But can that motherboard accept the 3D 2000 "bitchen fast" video card. Huh? HUH???

Now that would be the ultimate in legacy support!
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    Good point. I had forgotten about the 'multi fuel' motherboards. But can that motherboard accept the 3D 2000 "bitchen fast" video card. Huh? HUH???
    Now that would be the ultimate in legacy support!
    Yes Leo now go calm down and count some caribou or moose in a quiet corner .:bigggrin:
    edited September 2007
    :D

;D
    edited September 2007
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2932482&CatId=143

Anyone here used this? Seems pretty damn amazing for the price.
  • edited September 2007
    No, I haven't heard anything on it yet. Why don't you get it and try it out; it looks pretty nice and the price isn't bad at all. :D
    edited September 2007
    I opted out of upgrading hardware for a new monitor (22" Acer to replace my 19" dell that weighs 400,000 lbs.), new mouse (Logitec G5) and keyboard (Saitek Eclipse), and a new case.

I can wait a month or so to get a new video card and processor.
    edited September 2007
    Smart. The best PC available is left wanting if user interface is poor. Smart move. Hope you enjoy the monitor!

Come back when again continue to upgrade.