color ink printer questions

gtghmgtghm New
edited September 2007 in Hardware
Hi, I am looking into getting a printer but the reason why I don't print is because over time the inks would dry up and clog the head.

Sometimes I can go weeks without printing anything maybe months.

A friend of mine who is in the photo printing business says Canon has done a good job of dealing with the issues I have. Does anyone agree with that?

How long can you go between printings and still be able to get a proper print in say 5 or less trys?

He mentioned to me that it has to do with the difference in the type of heads they use to get the ink to the paper?

Thanks
"g"

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I have had a canon i900d for over two years. I go MONTHS between prints sometimes, and every time I click print, it's fine. So I guess that means canon fixed that problem. My printer's an old model, too.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited August 2007
    THX, Howdy dude! :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I have owned several Canons, and the only reason why we got rid of older ones is because they were replaced with newer models we wanted. I love Canons.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Where do you live? I was out in Santa Fe for a few years where there is zero humidity and my inkjet cartridges would dry up in a few months if i did not use them. This was also the case with a few of my clients who also did not print very often. I switched them all to inexpensive B&W laser printers.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2007
    If you are looking for something with longevity you should be able to find a Konica Colormagic 2400 or 2500 for around $250. I have one and it's fantastic for an home color laser printer. You never have to worry about the toner drying out and it's so much cheaper to run per page then inkjet.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    The other feature of Canon inkjet printers is that they are less expensive to run than any other inkjets. My S750 does fine, but it isn't very dry here.
    A $100 laser would be the easy route.
  • gtghmgtghm New
    edited September 2007
    thanks for all the input I ended up getting a Canon PIXMA PRO9000.

Super nice printer, it is what I was looking for in printing quality for photographs.

"g"