Business Software

BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Science & Tech
This is my first post so please move it if its in the wrong spot.

I am starting a very small business, more of like a hobby that I get paid for once in a while. I already have incurred expenses for it (business cards count as an expense right?), and know that I need to set up an organizational system for my expenses, income, due dates, tasks, etc. Is there any good software out there other than office to help me manage myself?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Quicken or Microsoft Money are my 2 suggestions. If you want slightly more business oriented functionality then something like Quickbooks, I find it very easy to use and friendly.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Bah. All you need is Excel.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    If you have Microsoft Office, Excel would be a good start as it has many templates that can be customised for your needs.

Quicken and MYOB have small business programs as well, and they can be upgraded as you turn yourself into a huge multi-national, not that you'd care then, because your accounting staff will look after that... :bigggrin:

Good luck with your venture!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I highly recommend Quickbooks. It took my business from a tiny little startup to a happy little company of 5 employees (and back down again, but that wasn't quickbooks' fault ;) )

Don't listen to CB, you should know better than most that he's full of it.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    Bah. All you need is Excel.

If all I needed was excel then I wouldnt be asking here for recomendations for more comprehensive software :wink:
    I highly recommend Quickbooks. It took my business from a tiny little startup to a happy little company of 5 employees (and back down again, but that wasn't quickbooks' fault ;) )

Don't listen to CB, you should know better than most that he's full of it.

Looking at all the recommendations I think I like quickbooks the best. Is the $100 starter edition ok or is the "middle" version better?

and yes... I have to live with CB ... he is definitly full of it :p
    edited September 2007
    I don't have any experience with the starter edition, but with no employees, no credit card merchant account, and a few transactions a day, it should be just right for you :) You can always upgrade later when you outgrow it
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I don't have any experience with the starter edition, but with no employees, no credit card merchant account, and a few transactions a day, it should be just right for you :) You can always upgrade later when you outgrow it

Thanks. :) My business is going to be event consulting. I hope to get some jobs planning parties for the coming holiday season, so yes I might get a few transactions a month but not very many.
    edited September 2007
    I have absolutely no experience planning parties, so I can only wish you good luck! ;)