Just got on old iMac! Need some tips!

JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
edited September 2007 in Science & Tech
Hello!

i am the proud new owner of an old Teal PPC iMac, i got it complete at a yard sale for 20 bucks.

It works fine, it has MacOS 9.2 on it, it has 250?Mhz PPCG3 on it and 160mb of ram. I dont think it will run OSX, but i dont think i will have probs with MacOS 9.2, i just have a few questions.

is there anyway to OC a mac?

What is the best Web Browser for Mac OS 9.2?

Are there any beginners guides to using a Mac?

Finally, Are there any Must have Apps for Mac OS 9?

thanks!

Oh, and one final question, How the hell do you un-install that garbage Symantec Software that came on this thing? Its annoying the living daylights out of me. Actually.. to tell you the truth.. i cant figure out how to remove any software on this thing... LOL

Comments

• deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited August 2007
    Can't help you much, but that machine will run OSX. I got it working on a first generation iMac (233MHz of power!) with 64MB. Runs like a dog of course, but it still runs.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2007
    Yes, technically OS X will run on it. But, that would be running at about 1/4 the recommended minimum specs for OS X.

As for recomended OS9 apps. Safari for your browser and well your pretty much on your own for the rest. There really aren't any available pre-OSX apps attainable any more. You may luck out but basically everything is OSX now.

My honest opinion would be to get a version of linux for PPC and run that on it instead of OS9. OS9 is basically a novelty OS now, no support, no apps to find and it's pretty much dead. It's like trying to push OS/2 Warp as a current viable OS.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I second the linux recommendation. You cannot get ANY modern software for OS 9. You'd be stuck with IE 5, etc.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited August 2007
    thanks guys! i agree, i figured out how to run OSX on my Dual Core rig anyway (Thank you intarwebz!)

Now that i think about it, linux doesnt sound too bad on this thing. It would be a pretty linux box! :)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    First thing you need to do is update to 9.2.2 through Software Update or by downloading from the Apple website.

Browsers:
    Safari doesn't run on OS9. Sorry.
    Nutscrape 4.0 (ancient, no longer updated, later versions are garbage)
    Internet Explorer 5.0 (no longer updated)
    Mozilla Suite 1.2 (no longer updated)
    iCab (recommended, still actively developed)
    Office:
    MS Office Mac Edition (I think 2000 was the last version)
    ClarisWorks/AppleWorks (my favorite)
    IM:
    AOL Instant Messenger 4.xx
    Marathon - Bungie's first FPS.
    Hellcats - combat flight sim
    Escape Velocity (all versions) - economy and plot-driven space adventure, plugin-expandable. Second-most youth wasted here.
    Spectre - 3D wireframe maze shooter.
    ScummVM - play all those old SCUMM engine games (Secret of Monkey Island, Loom, Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle.)
    Dome Wars - a Scorched Earth clone.
    The Manhole - "There's an elephant in my teacup." One of Cyan's first games in the genre that Cyan would later define with Myst.
    Glider - the paper airplane game.
    Risk! 68k - best Risk! implementation ever (FAST GAMES & MEAN AI!)
    DOS/Windows ports - Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Starcraft, MechWarrior 2, Total Annihilation, Myst, Riven, Unreal, Descent, Descent 2, Wolfenstein.
    Communications:
    Hotline Connect Client - Mac PTP.
    Fetch - powerful FTP client.
    BetterTelnet - modified version of the classic NCSA Telnet.
    NCSA Mosaic - the first hypertext transfer protocol client.
    ZTerm - best terminal emulator I've used, on any platform, ever. Most Youth Wasted Here (MUD, BBS).
    Eudora Light - e-mail client.
    Utilities:
    VirtualPC - run Windows very slowly.
    FWB Hard Disk Toolkit - like PartitionMagic.
    Super ResEdit - the Mac hacking program.
    Productivity:
    Adobe suite (Photoshop, PageMaker, etc.)
    Other Useful Tools:
    GifBuilder - most intuitive animated GIF generator I've ever used. All of my old animated avatars were made using this.
    Gravitation - orbit simulator and solar system construction tool.
    Red Shift - planetarium.

-drasnor :fold:
  • XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited September 2007
    And if you feel like it, you could always just ditch MacOS all together and install the PPC version of Ubuntu or Kubuntu... :)

I put Kubuntu on my iBook and haven't looked back. (Not that OSX is bad or anything, I just personally like Linux better...) :)

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/ports/releases/7.04/release/
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    is there anyway to OC a mac?
    Put the iMac in a car trunk and drive really fast. Make a custom, high fashion plastic cradle for the iMac for just such overclocking excursions. Market the iCradle to the Mac faithful for exorbitant prices, claiming the cradle will enable an overclock of 50 to 90 miles per hour. "A real Intel/AMD beater!!!!"

You'll be rich.

Seriously, that was a very nice find for $20. I'd snap one up in a heartbeat for that price.