The Icrontic 30 pound challenge

Comments

• SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited June 2007
    Definitely not the only fatty 320 pounds Imperial here at 6'2", that is clinically obese. But fractured vertebra and slipped disc are working against exercise plan.:(
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited June 2007
    hey, :cool: thread

I used to be in some what good shape, I was 280 and heavy into weight lifting. I was repping 1400 on the hip sled and benching 320 for reps. I was running a 5.0 40 yard too..

but now that high school football is over for I am back up to 320, fatty fatty :(
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited July 2007
    time to close this thread out, start a new one?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Can anyone suggest a good complex carb to pair with cottage cheese? I've been eating a serving of lowfat cottage cheese every day because it packs a good protein punch (24g per 8 oz serving) but by itself it falls a little flat. I'd rather not pair it with fruit because of the simple carb load... so, any suggestions?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Wheat pasta, oatmeal, potatoes, brown rice.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    I've become a boxing fool. I sparred today, went 5 rounds. Just body shots allowed, since we don't have headgear. My legs feel like Jell-O, I can barely lift my arms, my gut is sore, but I've never felt better. Boxing has to be one of the best all-around exercises. Great cardio, endurance, strength training. My shoulders and arms are bigger and I'm definitely becoming leaner.
    edited August 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Wheat pasta, oatmeal, potatoes, brown rice.

It seems like oatmeal is the quickest of those options, since I can just mix it with the hot water at work... unfortunately I get a bit tired of oatmeal since I have it in my 4PM gruel of oatmeal, protein powder, and unsweetened apple sauce. Any tips for pumping in a little flavor?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Cheese? Chocolate?
    edited August 2007
    Healthily...

Perhaps I should specify that I'm trying to eat predominantly lean proteins and complex carbs, while decreasing my saturated fat intake as much as I can...
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Mix half or fourth a cup of the dry oats into the cottage cheese.
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited September 2007
    Anymore updates??

As i last reported i was at 242 on Feb 13 and since then i had stayed steady at 230. I was convinced that i had plateau’d and no amount of eating right and working out was enough. So i went on a 10 day vacation all along the west coast. I didn't go crazy with the eating but i didn't stay on my diet, just made sure to portion control as much as possible and i walked so much, seems like i was walking around for days. Anyway i got back and i hadn't gained any weight and i got back on my diet.......low and behold i started shedding some lbs' and broke the 220 point. I don't think i've been this light since 1st grade....j/k. Anywho, hope you fellas are sticking to it.
    edited September 2007
    Buddha16 wrote:
    Anymore updates??

As i last reported i was at 242 on Feb 13 and since then i had stayed steady at 230. I was convinced that i had plateau’d and no amount of eating right and working out was enough. So i went on a 10 day vacation all along the west coast. I didn't go crazy with the eating but i didn't stay on my diet, just made sure to portion control as much as possible and i walked so much, seems like i was walking around for days. Anyway i got back and i hadn't gained any weight and i got back on my diet.......low and behold i started shedding some lbs' and broke the 220 point. I don't think i've been this light since 1st grade....j/k. Anywho, hope you fellas are sticking to it.

Good to hear, keep it up.
  • MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited September 2007
    You hafta change you're eating habits, period. I lost thirty pounds in a few months time after having a small stroke this Feb. I went from 225lbs to 190lbs while still drinking as much beer as I always did. I quit eating donuts and snak foods altogether. I eat only fresh fruit or Cheerios for breakfast. No burgers, no fried foods, no ice cream, no eggs. Eat salads, chicken, beef once a week, spaghetti, lots of fresh vegetables, fruits, and for snaks try a trail mix loaded with dried fruits and nuts. The nuts provide the omega 3 oils your body requires, the fruits the vitamin C.
    It's hard at first I'll admit. But wanting to live is a very strong motivator. Losing weight and watching my cholesterol and getting my blood pressure under control was the key to my survival.
    For those of you who have grown up in the McDonalds generation, lose the weight now and you might live a long and enjoyable life later. If you wait till your my age it only gets harder to lose the fat and eat healthy.
    I don't want to see any of you lost to heart attack or stroke.
    I applaud this thread and your decision's to live healthy.
    Keep it up!
    MGK
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited September 2007
    In preparation for my coming wedding, I've taken my lack-luster attempt at losing weight and kicked it into high gear..

I think I was around 247 the last time I posted here, I just weighed myself this morning - 233 lbs!!

I'll try to post some results pics soon..
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited October 2007
    I’ve been exercising for almost 3 months, every second day I’ll do pushups and crunches but mostly working out with 25lb free-weights. Nothing too intensive - I read somewhere that taking it slow builds strength and not bulk. I’m 5 foot 11, 208 and I started out at 218 (I’d like to get to 180). But I lost that 10 lbs in the first 8 weeks and haven’t been able to lose any more. Like most everyone here, I’m not going to enter any body-building contests, nor do I want to. I just want to get a slimmer, athletic build and get rid of my paunch. I didn’t take this all too seriously because I had gotten myself down to 188 last year using the same regimen, but that was a different place and I had been much more active. Now, I want to get serious. I had been eating 2 meals a day for as long as I can remember, lunch and supper with no breakfast (“Breakfast” consists of a coffee and cigarette). Some days I skipped lunch for a big supper. I didn’t realize that this was THAT unhealthy until I REALLY read this thread and a few of the links posted here. I’m now a believer in multiple meals and the importance of breakfast. I had a chat with Citrixmeta and he was very enthusiastic in answering my questions and developing a menu, and I’m very grateful for the help and support. Thank you Citrixmeta! I also perused this thread for food ideas, opened a fitday account and started tracking my calories yesterday. Some of you will cringe at my diet but I only just picked up healthier foods yesterday. Still, I managed to get through the day 700 calories under what I needed. Today I will exercise in the morning, wait 30 minutes and then have some dry cereal for breakfast. I’m a bit late to the challenge so take it easy on me, and I hope you’re all still with the program.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2007
    Good to see you starting at it more serious DogSoldier, best of luck with your goals, as well as everyone else.
    edited October 2007
    I forgot to post this.. my Fitday is http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=DogSoldier
    I'd appreciate some feeback on my diet.
    edited October 2007
    DogSoldier wrote:
    I forgot to post this.. my Fitday is http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=DogSoldier
    I'd appreciate some feeback on my diet.

All forms of weight loss are a type of body building. If you're looking to lose weight for health and image reasons, that's body building. You don't have to do balls deep about it, but it will be the quickest method for fat loss.

Your diet seems to be at a middle point between healthy and unhealthy. A lot of the smaller things you eat are okay, but it seems most of your major meals could be improved.

Some things you eat are okay at the base of the food, but it's the additives that tend put on weight. Like in your macaroni, lose the cheese and just opt for a light butter. Conversely try and switching to wheat products rather than white bread/noodles/pasta.

Beans are another great food, but not when a thousand things get added to them. Stay away from fried food and things that add excessively to the original material of the food.

What you eat on 10/15/07 seems far better than what you eat on other days, but for a person your size I think you could benefit from increased protein and calories. Stick around 2300 calories, 2500 at max and try to get about 200g of protein a day. That may sound difficult but it's really not, just try t be conscious of it in the next few weeks. This calorie intake is assuming you are exercising while on this diet.

Coffee is fine even with a small amount of cream and sugar. I drink mine black as the night, but that's just taste I guess. Cereal is something to be careful of though, the only one I've found that hasn't had something unhealthy in it and manages to still have a decent composition of protein/carbs is Special K with strawberries, even that contains high fructose corn syrup in small amounts. So either stick with that or switch to oatmeal with cinnamon or a small amount of brown sugar in milk.
    edited October 2007
    Switch over to wheat bread instead of white bread for sure. Also remember you can pick up some protein powder from somewhere like GNC to make some shakes for when you need some extra protein quick. I drink about 2 shakes a day which is about 1,400 calories and 71g per shake with whole milk. And also eat some tuna if you need a good protein source. If you get sick of cereal for breakfast, try some whole wheat toast and some oatmeal and a glass of milk.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I need to post some updated pics. My muscle mass has increased and my clothes are definitely getting too big. I'm down 4" on my waist and my stomach is much flatter.
    edited October 2007
    Nice work my friend.
    edited October 2007
    Way to go Kwitco! Hey.. that rhymes!
    edited October 2007
    I made a pot of my favourite soup last night, a combination of lean ground beef, crumbled, fat drained, a 28floz can of tomatoes, a 19floz can of tomatoe juice, and about 3 cups of macaroni. Plus assorted spices like chili powder, italian seasoning, worchestershire sauce and chili flakes. It's comfort food. Anyways, I couldn't figure out the Nutrition Facts for this, but after much searching I found a website that can calculate recipes for you and give you all the info you need to plug into Fitday. http://www.nutritiondata.com

BTW, I'm now obsessed with the Nutrition facts labels, constantly running up and down the stairs, back and forth to the pantry so I can record all that caloric minutiae. God. I have no life....
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    It's important. Nobody loses weight not knowing those things.
    edited October 2007
    I was the same way DS when I started bulking up. Then after about a month, I could pretty much guess very close to my caloric intake each day for what I needed to meet my goal. My friends think I'm a health nut to much because I'm always looking at nutrition labels, and ordering healthy stuff when we go out to eat.
    edited October 2007
    Clutch wrote:
    I was the same way DS when I started bulking up. Then after about a month, I could pretty much guess very close to my caloric intake each day for what I needed to meet my goal. My friends think I'm a health nut to much because I'm always looking at nutrition labels, and ordering healthy stuff when we go out to eat.

Yeah, a few Fridays ago I had to work out in the morning before class at 6:00 AM, so I took my protein shake to my first class with me. My friend Ben asked, "What's in that?" since it was a GNC shaker bottle. I told him, "Egg whites, peanut butter, a banana, dry oats, milk and protein powder." He responded, "Why the Hell would you do that?"

Now every time I drink something he asks if it's egg whites.
    edited October 2007
    haha, that is funny Nomad. Those GNC shaker bottles kick ass btw.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    This is back on. I gained 48 pounds since I made this, now I lost it, and I'm doing this again.
  • What's the deadline this time? I'm in.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    If I can start from my Jan 4th weight, I'm in. I don't think I've got another 30 to lose.