Obvious really but.

botheredbothered Manchester UK
edited November 2007 in Food & Drink
It says 'Discussion of *hick!* any beverage.'
I hope this includes the prince of liquids, Tea?

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    bothered wrote:
    It says 'Discussion of *hick!* any beverage.'
    I hope this includes the prince of liquids, Tea?
    But of course... :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Is Tea not brewed? Is this not The Brewery? :D

Discuss away!

Shorty has us hooked on Tetley, but it's hard to find here.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Have you tried the Tetley "British Blend" that you can get at US groceries? It's got 1/4 gram less tea per bag, but the flavor is very near the real deal and they sell it near me for $2.50 for a box of 80 tea bags.

Another option for you guys is to come down here and visit me. There's a huge international food store called Jungle Jim's that carries the real thing... unfortunately we pay import price of about $4 for a 0.89p package of the tea... :(

But come down and visit sometime anyway!
    edited September 2007
    We buy the Tetley "British Blend" purple box - it's close enough - at $2 per box instead of $8 per for the real deal imported.
    edited September 2007
    "Close enough" is a good way to describe it.

I once brewed a side-by-side comparison of "British Blend" to the real thing. The purple box stuff was slightly lighter in color and just slightly weaker. It was a barely noticeable flavor difference once I put in the milk and sugar, though.

But come visit me sometime anyway, ya tossa!
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Yeah I still haven't gotten my box from Shorty :(
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    On the subject of tea and its proper preparation, I wonder what one should do if they are (or are serving) someone who is lactose intolerant. Can a cup of tea be proper if served "black"?
    edited September 2007
    I hardly think the splash of milk would cause an upset stomach :wtf:
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    We have an amazing selection of teas in South Africa and if US customs didn't return the damn stuff to sender I would send Icrontic HQ a whole selection just to prove that I wasn't kidding.
    You have to try Rooibos tea sometime. It can be an aquired taste to some but is unique to SA and if brewed correctly you can't beat the taste!
    edited September 2007
    I really like rooibos, but I can't be sure that the stuff we get here is authentic. The best I had was in Minneapolis at a tea house that I later found out was in a very Moroccan neighborhood.
    edited September 2007
    Market Spice tea company in Seattle has it Prime. You can buy it through them or online at their store on Amazon.

If you haven't tried it, Yerba Mate is a neat drink. With some honey, it's quite good. It does give you a bit of a buzz.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    As a note I would love to get my hands on a good tea... if anyone has suggestions for something that is sweet and good for you send it my way :)
    edited September 2007
    There are very few brands that I would openly recommend. The rest of the stuff they package is swill. The trick to brewing Rooibos is to put it in a pot on the stove and boil the cr*p out of it. Then boil the milk and add it to the tea.<br>Add sweetener to taste.
    edited September 2007
    Sledge, my all time favorite tea is Market Spice's signature orange spice tea. My family buys it loose by the pound, but you can get it online here or they sometimes have it in gift bags at Eddie Bauer stores. The cinnamon orange flavor is great.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I use to be engaged to a half hippy health food store freak who introduced me to herbal teas. Peppermint and Chamomile tea is excellent before bed! And ginger root with roasted carob and hibiscus make an excellent morning brew.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    On the subject of tea, I saw a really cool site the other day.

Blends for Friends

An ex-professional-tea-taster will blend up a unique tea for someone in your life based on what you say about their personality. A little cheesy (and expensive!), I know, but it's cute!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2007
    Winga wrote:
    There are very few brands that I would openly recommend. The rest of the stuff they package is swill. The trick to brewing Rooibos is to put it in a pot on the stove and boil the cr*p out of it. Then boil the milk and add it to the tea.<br>Add sweetener to taste.

Oh dear me no. One simple doesn't boil Tea. It is an art form that demands time, care and patience. One needs to pour boiling water over the leaves then leave it to do its magic.
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I once brewed a side-by-side comparison of "British Blend" to the real thing. The purple box stuff was slightly lighter in color and just slightly weaker. It was a barely noticeable flavor difference once I put in the milk and sugar, though.

I had to wipe an eye when I read this. I never thought I'd ever read anything by an American that included the phrase 'I put in the milk and sugar' How my heart sang.
    As a note I would love to get my hands on a good tea... if anyone has suggestions for something that is sweet and good for you send it my way :)

My dear boy, it should be your right to have access to fine Tea. PM me your address and I'll pop a few bags in the post. I'll mark the envelope 'HERBS', that should get it through ok.
    edited September 2007
    bothered wrote:
    Oh dear me no. One simple doesn't boil Tea. It is an art form that demands time, care and patience. One needs to pour boiling water over the leaves then leave it to do its magic.
    Oh contraire sir. I live in a country that for many years lived under colonial rule and if there's one thing us South African's know how to brew, it's tea.

Nothing beats tea slowly brewed in a porcelain tea pot with the 'ole crochet tea-cosy over it to keep it warm. I'm the first to agree. However Rooibos is a different animal and a bit on the wild side. It needs to be boiled into submission to be truely appreciated.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited September 2007
    Winga wrote:
    Nothing beats tea slowly brewed in a porcelain tea pot with the 'ole crochet tea-cosy over it to keep it warm. I'm the first to agree. However Rooibos is a different animal and a bit on the wild side. It needs to be boiled into submission to be truely appreciated.
    :)Your comments on the pot and cosy are 100% spot on.
    The Rooibos beast though? That must be some man Tea you have down there.
  • edited September 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    I hardly think the splash of milk would cause an upset stomach :wtf:

You obviously don't know someone who is very lactose intolerant. My wife, who is very lactose intolerant, would be blowing it out her ass 2 hours after drinking it with even a splash of milk without taking a Lactaid pill. And with some things such as butter and heavy cream even the Lactaid doesn't help and she gets horribly sick off of just a little bit. She has to watch it at restaurants and make sure the food isn't prepared with real butter.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    On the subject of tea and its proper preparation, I wonder what one should do if they are (or are serving) someone who is lactose intolerant. Can a cup of tea be proper if served "black"?

You could use soy milk. Or, one of the myriad coffee creamers that are lactose-free, like Coffee-Mate. Coffee-Mate is actually quite good in coffee (the liquid kind, not the powder). I actually prefer it over milk, half-and-half, etc. But I've never tried it in this "tea" stuff you all are talking about.
    edited October 2007
    Gargoyle wrote:
    Coffee-Mate is actually quite good in coffee
    Doesn't work as well in tea :zombie:
    edited October 2007
    Soy milk isn't milk. You can't milk a soybean.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Soy milk isn't milk. You can't milk a soybean.

You've tried???
    edited October 2007
    You can milk anything with a nipple.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:

/covers herself and hides
    edited October 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:

/covers himself and hides
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Men have nipples, and (as far as I know) can't be milked. Or am I missing something???
    edited October 2007
    Jokke wrote:
    Men have nipples, and (as far as I know) can't be milked. Or am I missing something???

Yes.
    edited October 2007
    ty BJ