What was I thinking

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Fitness
Oh wow man I about killed my self! Sledges thread about getting fit combined with watching the contender made me want to get off my butt on the days I have off and run or walk. now Mind you its 98 *F outside + like 20000% humidity.

Now i am 24 years old 6ft 4.5 in tall and only 185 pounds, I am not overweight at all but I am deffinately out of shape. So i throw my shoes on short and a tank top and go for a Jog. Now i went around my lake which isnt that big But big enough I was out there for 30 min. My routine was jog one lap walk one lap, So I wouldnt over do it, Now my doctor says I have exersised induced asthma, but i played B ball all my highshool and was even offered a scholarship to georgetown before I blew my knee out. I also walk 5 miles a day at work ( we used one of those Pedometers ) Now I could walk all day long but its the jogging that about killed me!

I just got in like 15 min ago Finally caught my breath after feeling Like I was about to pass out. I am not gonna stop doing it but DANG i thought I was gonna die!

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited September 2007
    hehe, time to get into shape my friend. I know exactly what you mean though, before my operation I could not run even a 1/4 mile without feeling like I would die. My doctor also thought I had exercise induced asthma, but it wasn't that. Within no time you will be smoking laps around that lake if you get your mind set to it.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited September 2007
    Try speed walking instead of jogging, less of a strain on the lungs.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    No pain, no gain.

Keep working at it. Its good to feel exhausted, If you don't feel tired then i'd say you're not pushing yourself enough.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    If your knee is useable, you might consider a sport again.

I started running after being a smoker- nearly 20 year habit. I worked up. Started out doing just a short jog and a walk up the block and back. Kept up regular for about a month going a little further each time until I was up to nearly a mile.

Still, I almost gave up until I thought of doing something with it- so I said "what they hey." and signed on with a local soccer team with a couple of buddies. Got shin splints right off- but I got over it and did that for the next 10 years playing and then more coaching my kids. At one point I was running 5-12 miles a day- interspersing jogging with about a dozen 40-100 yard wind sprints- many times on practice days.

I'm mid-fifties now (okay, I'm closer to 60 than 50)- and I think I STILL benefit from that period and still put down a couple of miles a couple of times a week.

I guess the moral is- whether for yourself or a team, I think finding a reason makes a huge difference. You don't have to go macho right off, take your time getting there- it took me 3 years and I was 34, not 24, starting.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2007
    If you have exercise induced asthma you might want to get a prescription for an inhaler and take one with you when you run...ya know...so you don't die if you get an attack

Just because you didn't have asthma in high school or college doesn't mean you can't develop it later in life.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    yea I talked to the doctor they prescribed one a while ago, I have NEVER used it cause I will fight my way through it, Its never been to the point where i Cant breath just a hair difficult
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited September 2007
    Famous last words brother. Whats it gonna hurt to have it with you?
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited September 2007
    I think he means that he will use it only if he needs it (?). My daughter has one- and she is in near-olympic condition- but carries it on a "just-in-case" basis. Almost never needed it- except once.
  • edited September 2007
    i don't know how the hell you got offered a scholarship from georgetown when you can't even run a mile..
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Who the **** are you? Read the thread, comprehend, then troll.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Kaki wrote:
    i don't know how the hell you got offered a scholarship from georgetown when you can't even run a mile..

A man can change a lot in 6 years, don't hate. :p
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited September 2007
    Kaki wrote:

Oooooo a whole 8 posts..........:wtf:

My guess is you've never read "How to Win Friends and Influence People"......

:shakehead
    edited September 2007
    Hmm lets see, 24 years old Offered scolorship at 18, thats 6 years , I am since married and have a kid due in 4 weeks and have had tons of torn up cartilidge removed from my right knee, I work 8 to 10 hours a day walking 5 miles doing interior trim I am quite strong and probally could rip you a new one if need be.

and your Questioning me? Just because I cant run doesnt mean I am over weight or out of shape it means my stamina isn't up to where it used to be, AND if you play basketball it is stop and go so you get time to catch your breath

SO next time you post you might want to rethink what your gonna say and probally walk away from the keyboard...

[Keebler wuz in ur post, slimmin' ur angerz]
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Kaki wrote:

Also to add to the ignorance of your statement: I went to high school with this guy. HUGE dude...and couldn't run for crap. He got offered a full ride to Georgetown on a basketball scholarship. This guy? Michael Sweetney. I can promise you he wasn't running full miles when he got that scholarship.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    NiGHTS wrote:
    Who the **** are you? Read the thread, comprehend, then troll.

Don't judge a troll until you post a mile in his shoes.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Gnome... you didn't need to defend yourself. A guy with 8 posts can't credibly insult you on a site like Icrontic.

Kaki... I suggest browsing through here and dwelling on the first point.
  • Bad_KarmaBad_Karma The Great White North
    edited September 2007
    I remember going to my first wing chun class and puking because it was so intense. About 20 minutes in I ralphed and then it was all good from there on. Well that's not true. I was sore for 3 days after the first lesson. All good now though. It definitely sucks starting up a workout routine but with time it will be the best choice you made all year for yourself.
  • edited September 2007
    keebler man i truly am sorry, i always forget to read guidelines.. btw i replied to your automated message.. don't i get a hello?

gnomewizard i apologize man, to contribute to your mile thing, i suggest eating a lot of meat

and also who is this NiGHTS mother****er
    edited September 2007
    lol
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    Uhhh yeah....

Anyways....I dont know how your knee is feeling anymore but if its kinda like my back prohibiting me from running you could always try swimming. I ran CC and track in HS so running 4+ miles was nothing at any temp, hot or cold, but its really hard on parts of my body now. I tried swimming some at the gym and damn is that a whole body work out and its easy on the joints.
    edited September 2007
    ive been thinking of that but i plan on moving up north to Pennslavania in 1 year ( gotta get the baby stuff done then look for a job up there ) And from my gathering pools are not as easy to come by up there especially in the winter so I dont wanna get into something then haveta stop
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Kaki wrote:
    and also who is this NiGHTS mother****er
    He's the second member you've cursed at in this thread. :skeptic:
    edited September 2007
    KAKI whats your Issue man? U need to chill and relize swearing at someone only make YOU look stupid
    edited September 2007
    Oh an Keebs thatnks for slimmin my angerz it was not something Id normally say and for that I apologize
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Try speed walking instead of jogging, less of a strain on the lungs.
    A lot less needless wear and tear on the knees and spine as well! Advice concerning running on hard surfaces: beware, you may pay dearly for that a few years later.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    A lot less needless wear and tear on the knees and spine as well! Advice concerning running on hard surfaces: beware, you may pay dearly for that a few years later.

What about those elliptical machines? You run in place, kind of like a treadmill, but it's more like a stationary bike without a seat.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    RWB wrote:
    What about those elliptical machines? You run in place, kind of like a treadmill, but it's more like a stationary bike without a seat.

You can answer your own question probably after I explain. The problem with running on hard surfaces is the shock and jarring of the joints from the weight of your body landing on the hard, fixed surface. Ideally, that shock can be avoided by 'perfect' running, that is the heel of the foot aligning with the hard surface perfectly both in moment and angle so the shock is rolled along the foot as the runner moves forward. Unfortunately, most people can't run that way, resulting the shock of the foot hitting the ground radiating straight (vertically) into joints - heel, knees, hips. Additionally the abrupt G-forces on the spine can cause spinal problems. Not all runners will develop problems, obviously but many definitely do. My knees are damaged from years of running on hard surfaces - high school, college, and 20+ years of Army. You can mitigate the risk significantly by running off hard surfaces: dirt tracks (not baked clay), tracks with shock absorbing material built in (rubber-asphalt mix), cross-country, and so forth. Essentially, anything that lessons the body slamming into the hard surface helps. Also, the better one's technique, potentially the less the damage. (My technique was never very good, admittedly.)
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    You can mitigate the risk significantly by running off hard surfaces: dirt tracks (not baked clay), tracks with shock absorbing material built in (rubber-asphalt mix), cross-country, and so forth. Essentially, anything that lessons the body slamming into the hard surface helps. Also, the better one's technique, potentially the less the damage. (My technique was never very good, admittedly.)

QFT.

Human body is not made to run on concrete. All the shoes that cost $100-$200 make it seem for the body that it is not running on concrete by better alignment and absorption.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited September 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    Gnome... you didn't need to defend yourself. A guy with 8 posts can't credibly insult you on a site like Icrontic.

Kaki... I suggest browsing through here and dwelling on the first point.

Keebler I am laughing really hard as I type this OK?? (wink) Sorry it's fun still to yank your tail when you say stuff that makes no sense.

But we both know it has nothing to do with post counts right? (smile)

Between old icrontic, new icrontic and S-M I have over maybe 15,000 posts here and was a super mod here also twice and I can't "credibly" insult anyone here anymore either... LOL ! It has nothing to do with post count OK? Can we agree to that at least? ROTFLMAO

Luv Ya Man ! (grin)

Tex
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    Leonardo wrote:
    You can answer your own question probably after I explain. The problem with running on hard surfaces is the shock and jarring of the joints from the weight of your body landing on the hard, fixed surface. Ideally, that shock can be avoided by 'perfect' running, that is the heel of the foot aligning with the hard surface perfectly both in moment and angle so the shock is rolled along the foot as the runner moves forward. Unfortunately, most people can't run that way, resulting the shock of the foot hitting the ground radiating straight (vertically) into joints - heel, knees, hips. Additionally the abrupt G-forces on the spine can cause spinal problems. Not all runners will develop problems, obviously but many definitely do. My knees are damaged from years of running on hard surfaces - high school, college, and 20+ years of Army. You can mitigate the risk significantly by running off hard surfaces: dirt tracks (not baked clay), tracks with shock absorbing material built in (rubber-asphalt mix), cross-country, and so forth. Essentially, anything that lessons the body slamming into the hard surface helps. Also, the better one's technique, potentially the less the damage. (My technique was never very good, admittedly.)

Yeah now that I have gone farther and farther away from being in the great shape I was during HS, I get farther and farther away from the perfect running form. My stride becomes shorter, and my foot comes down harder putting strain not only on the joints but also stressing certain muscles more than others only shortening my workout even further.