Cheap and healthy?

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Fitness
Name your cheap and healthy foods....

Mine would be Spirulina and Chlorella which can be found in capsule form for like 120(1g each) caps $10 they are high in nutrition and are foods, not supplements. "Super Foods" if you will.

Of course there are also eggs(high quality protein), and low sodium trail mix as well which is high in poly unsaturated fats instead of saturated, good for your heart and helps keep you full... I enjoy me some good trail mix. The bag I have now helps calm my craving for fast food rather well, and has lasted me a week so far for $2.00, it's quite large.

I think this thread could be useful for everyone who is on a strict budget(like myself) who would like to eat healthy, so name your cheap health foods.

Comments

• NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    RWB wrote:
    Mine would be Spirulina and Chlorella which can be found in capsule form for like 120(1g each) caps $10 they are high in nutrition and are foods, not supplements. "Super Foods" if you will.

What.

Anyway:

Milk
    Chicken breasts
    Tuna
    Whole wheat pasta/wheat products
    Eggs
    Fruits
    Cottage cheese
    Peanut butter
    Hamburger (preferably leaner cuts)

All together it costs about $45 a week for me to shop.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Nomad wrote:
    What.

huh?
    edited September 2007
    No pill is food?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Oatmeal
    Bananas
    Rice
    Beans
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Bananas.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Yogurt, apples, bananas.
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Bananas, whole wheat pitas and english muffins, Peanut butter (tastiest when you put all 3 together)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Hummous and labne (labne is homemade lebanese yogurt - although the Greek and Indian varieties are really good as well) Labne can be hard to find unless you have a lebanese community in your town, but the Greek variety - brand name is "Fage" can be found in regular grocery stores.

Hummous is super cheap and really good.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited September 2007
    Cereal is cheap. For a week of meals its like $6-7 or something with milk.

I know peanut butter is full of protein, but doesnt it also have a ton of fat as well. At least a lot higher % of its weight than anything else list in this thread?
    edited September 2007
    Peanut butter is good fats.
    edited September 2007
    Fats essential to living and heart health, I might add.
    edited September 2007
    Yes I know we all need some fat, it just seems to stick out. I checked my bottle and 1 serving is 25% of your DV, but then on that diet Nomad posted it would be a primary source.
    edited September 2007
    Someone looking to earnestly build muscle replaces carbs (Mostly) with good fats and protein. 50% protein, 33% good fat, and about 15% carb.
    edited September 2007
    But its so much easier to eat carbs! :)
    edited September 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    Yes I know we all need some fat, it just seems to stick out. I checked my bottle and 1 serving is 25% of your DV, but then on that diet Nomad posted it would be a primary source.

That wasn't really a diet I posted, just some cheaper foods. I do consume about two tablespoons of peanut butter on wheat toast daily though. The fat is very different than the fats you get in other food. Not reason to consume absurd amounts of it, but reason enough to eat it.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I found some uber cheap peanut butter, that's all natural. It uses flax oil and ground up flax seeds as well as the peanuts. I just had the best damned peanut butter sandwich ever. I never enjoyed a plain peanut butter sandwich, I always had to add some jelly or honey, both of which have too much sugar in them. Didn't need it one bit.

It's called..."Naturally More", nutrition wise it had the best of all of the others in Walmart. The nutrition label says: Serving Size about 2tbsp, Calories 169, Fat Cal. 98, Total Fat 11g, Sat. Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g, Omega-1 4.1g, Omega-6 1.2g , Cholest. 0mg, Sodium 130mg, Total Carb. 8g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 2g, Protein 10g, Iron 4%, Folic Acid 58%, Riboflavin 1%, Niacin 11%, Vitamin E 5%

Ingredients: Roasted Peanuts, Wheat Germ, Flax Seed, Cane Sugar, Egg Whites, Honey, Flaxseed Oil.

Just noticed the honey part added, heh, maybe that's why I didn't need to add it lol. But anyways, it was cheaper per ounce than the rest; Natural, Organic, or Otherwise.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Hummous and labne

Man, you always have to trump people with your exotic foods, don't you?

"Look at me! I'm Brian! I eat hummus and labne and tabouleh and khlav kalash!"
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Fish is very good for you.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited September 2007
    Trader Joes man, best place in the world. Lots of healthy stuff and very reasonable prices. There is one about an hour away from me so I make a road trip every 2-3 weeks for food. I am on a pretty strict diet and workout routine (getting into amateur bodybuilding) I go there and get tons of food and pay like half what I would at a normal grocery store.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Bud wrote:
    Trader Joes man, best place in the world. Lots of healthy stuff and very reasonable prices. There is one about an hour away from me so I make a road trip every 2-3 weeks for food. I am on a pretty strict diet and workout routine (getting into amateur bodybuilding) I go there and get tons of food and pay like half what I would at a normal grocery store.

Notta single one in Texas... don't think I'll be doing any road trips myself :bigggrin:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    RWB wrote:
    Notta single one in Texas... don't think I'll be doing any road trips myself :bigggrin:

It's no Trader Joe's, but we do atleast have a plethora of Whole Foods, and Central Market to boot!
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Hummous is super cheap and really good.

It's also very easy to make if you have a food processor. I make a mean roasted pepper hummous.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I tend to favor several foods for "bang for the buck"

Banana
    Cheerios or Joe's O's
    Tuna
    Yogurt
    Oatmeal (real, not packets)
    Eggs
    edited September 2007
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Oatmeal (real, not packets)

What's so unreal about the packets?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Most of the packets have TONS of sugar in them. They's a little bit of oatmeal and a whole ton of powdered ... stuff.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Right, the packets are both filled with non-oatmeal stuff, and more expensive.

Here's a recipe that's cheap and healthy:
    1 cup oats
    2 cups nonfat milk
    1 teaspoon brown sugar

Microwave for 1 minute, stir, then microwave for 1 to 1.5 minutes more. Add cut fresh fruit or raisins.
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited September 2007
    If no trader joes around any "natural foods" stores are good. My main diet consists of:

oats (steel cut)
    protein powder (gold standard)
    chicken, lean red meat (buffalo, flank steaks) tuna
    eazikeal 4:9 bread
    Lots of greens (salads, green beans, broccoli)
    brown rice
    almond butter

Thats mostly what I eat throughout the day. Also a rice steamer is awesome for veggies and rice. I eat a lot though, 6 meals a day 3100 cals; 315g protein, 300g carbs, 71g fat. Just look at the ingredients and try not to buy pre made crap. I cook 2 times a week in bulk for all my meals I can.