Finally purchased myself a new Workstation

edited September 2007 in Hardware
After three years it is about time to for me to upgrade to something faster with more expandability.

From Dell, didn't find these parts for a reasonable price at newegg, etc. also considering the time it would take for me to build the machine, so I just decided to have Dell do the work for me.

Precision Workstation 690 Tower: Dual Core Intel Xeon
Dual Core Intel Woodcrest 64-bit Xeon Processor 5150 2.66GHz, 4MB L2,1333(1KW - 32bit)
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz Dual Ranked (4 DIMMs)
Genuine Windows Vista Business
SATA/SAS Integrated Card - For Connecting Internal Hard Drives
C1 All SATA drives, Non-RAID, 1 or 2 drive total configuration
16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
128MB PCIe x16 nVidia Quadro FX550, Dual VGA or Dual DVI or DVI + VGA
80 GB EIDE SATA II Hard Drive DataBurst (10K RPM)

I will be updating the Operating System to Vista Ultimate and probably upgrading to a Quadro with DX10 and use my other PC as a low work PC. But this one will be for my Gaming, Photoshop, Visual Studio, Game Development, 3D Rendering, etc.

But for the time being do you think this will hold for my developmental needs 3D Studio Max, Adobe Collection, Vegas Video Rendering, Flash, Quicktime, WMV, AVI, DivX encoding, Zbrush, and my favorite OS Virtualization.

I decided to buy a new PC as the other one I have takes to long to do the things I do now, and is lacking in expansion room. I'll turn it into my dedicated folding machine :D, But with this thing I can add in 64GBs of RAM, two Quad Core Xeon Woodcrest Processors, etc, if needed in the future.

Now my question is I have a few friends that told me to go with the Intel Core2 series of chips, as you can see I didn't :D, as I did not like the limits of the XPS systems But as for the RAM which is ECC do you think I will notice any slowdowns with the machine, as I made sure to fill up at least 4 DIMM slots with 1GB sticks. As I know with Xeons, the only way to get more out of them are to increase the system RAM.

No more sluggish video editing for me anymore :)

Comments

• DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I doubt you're going to see a speed difference between ecc and non ecc ram.

I rolled out one of those machines a couple of months ago with dual 3.0GHz dual core xeons, and it was pretty damn fast. It was a great folder too for a couple of days while I was setting it up.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Woodcrest is based on the Core 2 architecture so in turn you did get a C2D chip, just the server line of chips. Being someone who works in 3Ds Max and other programs you mentioned above, your going to like that system alot.

Is there a reason you went with a dual core over quad core? was it price?
  • edited September 2007
    Yes it was the price, Dell was trying to rip my pockets off with their current pricing, I will upgrade later if needed. Which I am glad Dell offers such large expandability and flexibility with this system. And the ISV thing, mmm I will probably call them to see if they actually know there stuff for fun.

The sluggish 3D Studio Max, PC Virtualization, etc. was just killing me, I wonder what the load times will be for Microsoft Office :D, as it is the slowest loading application I have come across in a long time. Now I can do some number crunching rendering :D

Any recommendations for this system?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    SMP folding is what this box was built for. It will put up some nice production.