Icrontic on Team Fortress 2

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Team Fortress 2
I am not a gamer. I do not game. This is my chant to ward off the time pit that is gaming, but last night it failed me. I played TF2 until 3:30am.

Starcraft, Half-Life 2 (and Episode 1), half of Doom 3, and twice through the Warcraft 3 single-player campaign summarize my gaming experiences over the last three years. Yet Team Fortress 2 has sucked me in, and all I want today is another round of online fragging.

TF2 is what would happen if Chuck Jones and Jim Henson made an FPS together. All nine characters you can choose from are hilarious caricatures with fitting taunts, and the narrative is glib. You'll have your favorite character, but you'll be easily tempted to try other roles, and switch between respawns to cover weak points in your team (like five people yelling "MEDIC!" when no one chose that role).

On offense, the Scout bounces around like a 8-year-old on Jolly Ranchers, the Solider throws rockets at everything that moves, and the Pyro... well, it's not a pretty way to go. On defense, maybe you'll want to lob grenades as the Demoman, build turrets and supply depots as the Engineer, or mow the field with a chaingun as the two-ton Heavy. Or, play a support role as a medic (heal and blast needles), sniper (duh), or spy (disguise yourself or use invisibility to knife some lemmings). There's a character for every style of play, and you'll quickly try out the field as you rotate between moods and the needs of the round.

So join Icrontic's Steam group and follow me for some fragging fun tonight. I'll be the sniper bitch up on the ledge, getting stealth-stabbed by the spy.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    TF2 is just a mod.
    edited September 2007
    I like playing the Pyro for some reason. His range sucks, and he's slow, but man I've had some epic moments, like saving one of my team's checkpoints from a nest of medic/sniper/heavy combos, by kamikaze'ing in there with flames a'blazin. Good times.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    TF2 is just a mod.

Truth. But a fun one.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I got back from vacation yesterday and instantly got sucked into this game. As soon as I booted my PC, it seemed that everyone on my Steam friends list was playing TF2, so I joined in.

I had your sniper back, Keebs. Just not very skillfully. ;)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I shall DL and get to playing :)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I'll be downloading sometime in the next day or two. Woo!
    edited September 2007
    Oh man, there are so many awesome little touches that move this game up from "really good, and fun" to "all time best multiplayer deathmatch game". This is a great game.

When you die and it zooms in to show you the face of your killer - if there are little pieces of you in the picture (such as a blood smear) there will be a little callout box with an arrow pointing to the bloody bit saying "bits of you!" or "your head!" Hilarious

Whenever you die there's always a little positive message: "Look on the bright side, you scored more points this round as a Pyro than you ever have before!" or "You beat your old record of playtime as a Sniper", etc.

The graphics are such a refreshing change of pace. No metal corridors! No dark, evil robots on dark, evil, mechanical backgrounds. You can SEE your enemies. Everything is bright and colorful.

Each class has so much character. They are not faceless avatars, and yet you don't get so attached to them that you can't bring yourself to go on a suicide run as a spy or pyro.

Oh I could go on. All I'll say is: GET THIS GAME and JOIN THE ICRONTIC GROUP ON STEAM
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Sounds like a LAN game!!!! Glad we have more time to plan and play this game!!! :rarr:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    MEDIC!
    edited September 2007
    This will be THE game of LAN 08. I hear UT2k4's death knell, and it says, "Well, ZAT wuz a deezapoint-ment" in a haughty french accent.
    edited September 2007
    "there is a spy amongst us..."
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    It's me! knife knife knife
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    This will be THE game of LAN 08.
    Truth. I could play 2 days straight of this game.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    This game is decidedly awesome. The pace just feels right and the graphics are awesome. I too am sitting here at working thinking about how much fun i could be having if i was just playing TF2. So far I think the engineer has been my favorite role.

I am also loving the new steam community. It tells you whose in what game and lets you join them in the game they are currently in. It was awesome when all of a sudden i was playing the game with a bunch of my friends and it was very easy to find the server they were on. The stats are a really great feature. It is very satisfying to see that you are getting better at a certain class and earning achievements. Last night I just earned the achievement of killing 10 people with one turret. (I think most of them came from Ghoosdum lol).

Two thumbs way up on this game, if you are on the fence about buying it, stop what you are doing and go buy the game on steam.
    edited September 2007
    Unreal Tournament 3 is due out in November... Then there's BF2149 (or whatever)...

We should have time for 8 tournaments this LAN... We pick 3 games... that's 2 or 3 for each game!!! Oh yeah!!! That's some SERIOUS FRAGGING!!!
    edited September 2007
    with demoman as my vessel I shall rid this world of all that is unexploded
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I honestly feel like we probably only ever have time to really play one game at the LAN. Usually it wound up being UT2K4. If I have to choose, this year will be TF2.
    edited September 2007
    I think we pulled off a great mix this year. Had I planned better for the server problems... well, we played anyway.

Age of Empires - CHECK
    Battlefield2 - CHECK
    Unreal Tournament - CHECK
    Half Life DM - CHECK
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I am working on my house, I am NOT downloading this. No, no, NO!

/me watches download monitor on steam. Come on.. hurry up!
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Mr. Pass, I expect to see you this evening for your scheduled pwning. :cool:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I've gotten my 'Achievement' for having played each of the characters sufficiently to learn them (the 'Top of the Class' achievement). Not long after, I earned the 'Team Medic' achievement for playing the Medic too much. I think my skills are best utilized in a non-combat role, even if it's not as action-packed some times. :)
    edited September 2007
    I have never tried being a heavy or a soldier. I need to work up on those skills :D

The only thing that sucks is that the beta is so popular right now that all servers are too full for ALL of us to play on the same server.

Perhaps Icrontic needs a server :wtf:
    edited September 2007
    I've got this.... thing.... going with Mas0n. We seem to always be put on opposite teams.... And we've had scores to settle....

mason_nemesis.jpg

ah, but all good things must come to an end. Mind you, he was running and jumping across the whole courtyard, but oh man did I have him in my sights; and he had no idea:

revenge_mas0n.jpg
    edited September 2007
    There are other Icrontians floating about. I think I even saw Kiljaeden sign on today

zanthian.jpg

killed_by_keebler.jpg
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    But I already have HL2 and I don't want to buy it.... :bawling:
    edited September 2007
    Then enjoy the lovely screenshots :p
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Yea, thats what I need, another game to suck my time up, Sheesh!!!

*Zuntar make note to download
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    [me]* RWB remotes into home PC, begins downloading TF2 via steam[/me]

I'll be off my night shift in 1.5hrs, and I estimate I will be getting 0hrs of sleep before my next shift.
    edited September 2007
    edited September 2007
    ;D That's funny!!!