Linux to get automatic driver updates?

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited September 2007 in Science & Tech
A technology called DKMS, pioneered by Dell and Linux distributors, could bring prompt driver updates to Linux distros automatically. It's been in development for over five years, and will allow new drivers to be provided to Dell's RHEL and SLES customers without stamping a new disc. This technology could be instrumental to providing up-to-the-minute devices drivers in a rapidly-changing landscape.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Will be interesting to see just how much better than the usual "update with package manager" this is, if it is at all...
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Sounds really useful to me. Right now if I have a couple of options for drivers: 1) compile everything as a module and deal with having a whole lot of binary modules on my machine that I'm not using, or 2) recompile anytime I want to add a new piece of hardware. Since adding new hardware is pretty rare I normally go with option 2). I can see how that would be a problem for the average user though since it isn't a trivial process.

This technology detects new hardware and automagically pulls the relevant source, compiles it, and loads the module. Nice.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited September 2007
    Aaah, well when you put it like that.... I couldn't really summarize what the new software did. That will be useful indeed.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    I believe Ubuntu does this already??? Regardless; whatever makes Linux an easier option for upkeep and maintaining is good news to me.
    edited September 2007
    Any distro with a package manager (read: pretty much all of them) does something similar, but not to this extent.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2007
    Ubuntu doesn't do this. Ubuntu and most other distros go with Option 1) that I posted above. However, that doesn't include drivers for stuff that isn't in the stock kernel like the nVidia drivers and most wireless NIC drivers. If you installed a wireless NIC in your machine you would need to know what chipset it uses so you can find the relevant driver package in apt and install it. Dell's technology would obviate that whole process and make it a plug and play proposition.

-drasnor :fold: