6600GT ---> 8600GT and no difference

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited October 2007 in Hardware
First off, hi you all, been a while I know. I like what you did with the place :D

Anyways, I went from an AGP mobo to an Asus A8N-SLI SE with a PCI-e 8600GT, kept my old CPU, an A64 3000+, and have 1.5GB of ram in it, it's ddr-400 running in dual channel. I reinstalled Windows XP 32bit because I was running x64 edition but I didn't notice any difference there either. Figured with a clean install on XP I should see a huge difference. Well I see NO difference. I installed the latest chipset drivers, the latest car drivers, and nothing. To top it all off, the only game I play is WoW. This game is 3 years old already and it wasn't that taxing to begin with.

I was expecting to see a constant 60FPS with all eye candy turned all the way on, but i'm not kidding you, I get crap FPS, 10-15 in cities, 2-5 in raids, and i'll get to the 50s when I'm all alone.

This seems completely unacceptable to me and I'm so disapointed. Advice?

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    IMO, the problem can be your cpu. It is only 1.8ghz. You could install an 8800 Ultra and it'll still run like crap.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I know it's not the best CPU but I'm talking about WoW, not Doom 3.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I've never played WoW.

Try upping the cpu speed and see if that makes any difference.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, something is definitely amiss. The 8600 is about 2x as fast as the 6600, in any flavour. I'll brainstorm a bit and get back to this thread.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    But again you should have seen a big improvement. The 8600 is comparable to the 7600GT which was a big step up from a 6600.

The 3000+ is a good single core CPU. I have had Athlon XP 2800+ with a 6600GT run BF2 on Medium settings... I am pretty sure WoW isn't as hard on the graphics as BF2 is, but I could be wrong. I am hunting down some performance charts of a 6600 with a base 3000+ A64 CPU, I have it here within my masses of info somewhere....
    edited October 2007
    Thanks for the help guys :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Wow killed kanezfan :(

Kanez used to get 60-80 ppm on short-media, but now he upgraded to a faster computer and only gets 3-5 ppm on icrontic.

:D
    edited October 2007
    so anyone have any ideas? I posted this on the WoW forums too and they're all saying my CPU is the bottleneck. I know it's not state of the art anymore but damn, this is WoW we're talking about. 1.8Ghz should be more than enough to run WoW with a 8600GT shouldn't it?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Guess not :(
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited October 2007
    I ran that same cpu oc'd to 2.2ghz with a geforce6600 and wow was always at least 40fps (usually 50+). Would 400mhz make that much of a difference? :rolleyes:
    edited October 2007
    I ran that same cpu oc'd to 2.2ghz with a geforce6600 and wow was always at least 40fps (usually 50+). Would 400mhz make that much of a difference? :rolleyes:

so you're saying i should get a new cpu or that there's a problem somewhere else?
  • AlphaTrinityAlphaTrinity North Wales, PA
    edited October 2007
    From your first post did you mean that your old system was the 3000+ and the 6600? If it was, what fps did you get with that system? It depends on what the performance with that setup was before we can really start to troubleshoot. If your performance was the same as it is now, then it may well be your cpu. If your performance was much better than it is now, it could be your video card or your new mobo.

To answer your last question sort of indirectly,
    When I bought my 7800gt from Sledge I was still running that 3000+ overclocked to 2.2ghz. I told one of my bosses (a hardcore hardware guy) about my fantastic upgrade, and he told me (in his opinion most likely) that getting that card would improve my performance, but it would be a waste sticking it beside my single core 3000+ because the video card would be "thirsty" waiting for the cpu to send it stuff. Obviously I fell for his propaganda and I went and bought myself an Opteron 165 (it was only later that I found out that my new video card would put out an amazing amount of heat and I would barely be able to overclock the Opty165..a lesson well learned :( )

I hope these guys can figure out a solution :thumbsup:
    edited October 2007
    i'm getting the same performance from my 3000+ and 8600gt that I was getting from my 3000+ and 6600gt. I OC'd it to 2200 also, and there's hardly any difference.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Switch back to the 6600 and run 3DMark 2005 or something similar on it, save those readings then try with the 8600 again. That'll show if it's just WoW and/or something else bottlenecking (as even if it's still the CPU then the higher quality graphics tests will still have a big difference).
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2007
    Your not going to notice such a small upgrade outside of benchmarks.
    edited October 2007
    OK so I went out and bought a 3800+ X2. It is not much of an improvement at all. What am I missing out?
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited October 2007
    What kind of memory do you have (latency/timings), could be your bottleneck.
    edited October 2007
    kanezfan wrote:
    OK so I went out and bought a 3800+ X2. It is not much of an improvement at all. What am I missing out?

Your old proc was 2ghz and your new one is still 2ghz but with an additional core. Google tells me that WoW isn't SMP compatible/enabled. IMO, it's like you never changed procs.
  • gibbonslgibbonsl Grand Forks AFB
    edited October 2007
    WOW is also memory hungrey, i run 2g in my laptop and get 25-50 fps at 1280-800

might be worth getting 2 1 gig sticks and run it in duel channel, that should bump up the performance a bit.

this is on my Sony SZ320P

1.8 core duo 2 gigs of ram 7400 128 meg card

every thing is maxed out