:rockon::rockon::rockon:

portal.jpg

Comments

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Ohhh I will have to start that when i get home. :D
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Mine's been loaded since last night :D Valve is such a tease.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Forget Portal. MOAR TF2. Must not be distracted from stabbing and sapping.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Forget Portal. MOAR TF2. Must not be distracted from stabbing and sapping.

What he said! Only mortar fraggin and torchin!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Episode 2 is now preloading! :D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    You'd better start steam offline if you want to play Portal or Ep2. Every time I try to play something on Steam besides TF2, I get messages from folks on the friends list, "WHY < game I just started >? TF2 is on!"
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I've got Dungeon Keeper added to my steam list of games. So whenever I play it I get some funny comments on my game choice.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    FreeC8675 wrote:
    I've got Dungeon Keeper added to my steam list of games. So whenever I play it I get some funny comments on my game choice.

Dungeon Keeper! Sweet!
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I used to love that game and the second one. Haven't played i in ages. Was fun multiplayer too. They so need to make a new one.
    edited October 2007
    The first one was better. The second one improved the graphics, but borked almost everything else... Killed the franchise :(

Also:

I'm really looking forward to Portal, and I'm glad I've got my mornings off this month, so I can devote some time to it without giving up on TF2.
    edited October 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    I'm really looking forward to Portal, and I'm glad I've got my mornings off this month, so I can devote some time to it without being harassed for not playing TF2.

Fixt.
    edited October 2007
    So... If you guys haven't played portal yet, I strongly suggest you do so... NOW!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2007
    Been on it all day. Finished the 'training' puzzles and into the game proper. Brilliant stuff.
    edited October 2007
    Oh wait... There's more than the training? Rad! I'm just into room 16 of the training :D
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Finished, and I'm into the bonus maps. :)

I was waiting for that game more than Episode 2. Once I finish the achievements I'll hit up Ep 2 ;)
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Just finished. Haha. I'll be hitting the bonus maps in just a minute. That was fun.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    Damn Portal!! I said, I'll just play for a few minutes before bed... Now it's three hours later...
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    I didn't notice it much in Portal, but there's a sound bug for some people. http://games.internode.on.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=127892

I just thought Portal was a game that lacked any dialog. Anyway, I didn't notice until none of the characters in Episode 2 were saying anything, though they were performing actions.

//Edit: Scratch that. It looks like I just grabbed a Steam update that may have addressed this issue. It's like they knew I was sharing the info. ;)
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2007
    There is still science to be done on those still alive.

And when you're dead, I'll be still alive!
    edited October 2007
    I really dug that song. It was great.
    edited October 2007
    I extracted the song from the GCF. Here it is for your enjoyment.

What a GREAT tune! This game has the greatest sense of humor.

The way the Aperture AI talks smack is hilarious:

"It says right here in your personnel file: 'Unlikeable... Liked by no one. A bitter, unlikeable loner whose passing shall not be mourned. SHALL NOT BE MOURNED'. That's exactly what it says. It also says you were adopted, so that's funny too."

"Didn't we have some fun, though?"
    edited October 2007
    ^ You're awesome! Many thanks.

... except the link doesn't actually seem to do anything but point me to the downloads page... which doesn't have the song. :( Or am I doing something wrong?
    edited October 2007
    Anyways, the song is called "Still Alive" by Jonathan Coulton.

The more I think about the whole orange box, the "feel" behind it all is amazing. Obviously HL2 speaks for itself, in continuing what many people have called the best game ever made, but Portal just came out of nowhere. I was under the assumption that this game was sort of a "tech demo", but it has a whole culture and feel of its own, while still tying in to the HL2 "universe".

I guess that's the thing about the Valve games - they all have a tendency to flesh out character development. Even TF2, with the "meet the...." videos. Each character actually gets a personality.
    In portal, you never find out anything about the protagonist, but you find yourself wondering, "Why is she here? How did she end up being an experiment? Why do they only use women?". And then GLaD - the computer - what a fantastic character! A homicidal, sadistic, sociopathic, yet relentlessly optimistic and upbeat female computer? WHAT? The song she sings after you destroy her says it all:

"I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now. Even though you broke my heart and killed me, and tore me to pieces. And threw every piece into a fire. As they burned it hurt so much because I was so happy for you."
    edited October 2007
    Nice spoiler tags, guys. :(
    edited October 2007
    meh. it was self evident from the very first level, but I added spoiler tags.
    edited October 2007
    Portal was such a satisfying experience. Unlike other games, I felt like I accomplished something at the end of each puzzle. Very good game. I can't wait to see what modder's do with it!

BTW: Are all the things in the Orange Box allowed to be used in GMOD 10? Using the portal gun in GMOD would be a blast.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited October 2007
    Shame it's so short. Bothered wants, nay, needs, more portal.
    edited October 2007
    I got a message from Crazy Joe while I was playing Portal last night:

"I can't wait to get the Portal Gun in TF2!"
    edited October 2007
    20071012.jpg
    edited October 2007
    I was also thinking that 'Physics gunner' needs to be the tenth class. He would be equipped with a portal gun, a gravity gun, and a crowbar. :)